X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • omnipotent goku
    • Sep 2005

DIY projector mounts ?

I've an Infocus Screenplay 4805 . I've also no inclination to pay the ridiculous price they want for their roof mount. I've a friend who has a 4800 who picked up one of these DIY type on ebay for around $60 . They are pretty simple in construction really. They are mainly just a speaker mount, with a piece of either metal or plexiglass attached to it. They look like this for the most part.

His works pretty well for him, and I have all of these materials so I'd like to build my own. Has anyone picked up on one of these, and if so, can you tell me what size screw mounts on the bottom of the projector ? Also, can you tell me the dimensions of the mounting plate? I will be cutting mine from 12x12 5'8 plexiglass.
  • Uncle Clive
    Former Moderator
    • Jan 2002

Hi Mr. Goku welcome to the guide.

The idea of the DYI mount would definately be an inexpensive way to go. I am a bit concerned about the mounting "T" bar part for the ceiling vs the weight of the projetcor. I have used similar brackets/mounts for speaker application (Larger book shelf type) and the bolts tore right through it ............speaker fell :E

Seeing it used like this is a first for me.
    CLIVE

HEY!! Why buy movie tickets when you can own a Theater?

Comment

• BlazeMaster
      • May 2004

Just make sure you're hitting the beam or joist of the ceiling. Depend on your ceiling surface, it might be hard to find the joist/beam.

Comment

• MikeRocchio
        • Jan 2005

Thread size

The threads are M3 But I'm not sure of the pitch, there are only 2 different pitches available and one of them is more available than the other.

Comment

• mvoorberg
          • Feb 2005

I was using one of those speaker mounts for my Benq, but it was a PITA to get lined up right and required 5 minutes of hit & miss adjustments after touching the projector.

I've since redone my mount like this:

Comment

• BlazeMaster
            • May 2004

can anyone recommend a better way of finding the beam or joist for a speckled ceiling surface? My stud finder doesn't seem to work at all in the new room. Thanks.

Comment

• RenoReno2
              • Jan 2005

Tap on the ceiling with your hand and listen for a solid sound.. Cross your fingers you were right

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                • May 2004

it's got a pretty rough surface. I dont think i'll hear any difference even if i was tapping on the joist

Comment

• Brandon B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2001

Got recessed ceiling lights? They are usually mounted right on one side or the other of a joist. Narrows it down anyway.

BB

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"