X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

SCM1 Mounts

JLee, your pics for your SCM1 mounts seemed to have been archived. Anyways. I am probably going to get them in the next few weeks and I am trying to figure out how to mount them.

What I really want to do is mount them from the ceiling at a down and in direction, facing the key listening place.

Are these speakers too heavy (website says 17.6ib) to mount from the ceiling without securing them into a stud? meaning the screw and whatever the backside stopper is called?

Next question would be where to look to find a mounting bracket that would accomodate the current mounting options on the speakers w/o having to drill holes into them.

If I had to, would it ruin the sound by putting custom holes for mounting?
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...
  • jlee
    • Aug 2004

1. Here are 4 of the pics again.
    2. Ceiling mount facing the listening position would be great.
    3. You MUST secure them to a stud, not drywall only... even if it's mounted to a wall. I used a stud sensor to locate them and then used the swingarm on the mount to locate them along the wall to get the proper distances.
    4. My custom brackets are perfectly aligned with the holes on the speaker. I have a pair for sale actually... email me in private for pricing. Half of it is actually for the 1NT... but I can get the SCM1 half machined and black annodized (you can even choose a different color if you don't like black) within 1 week from a machinist friend of mine... so then it will be a complete bracket for an SCM1.
    5. Ruin the sound? By drilling into the speaker? Yes you would... not to mention any hope of resale! Do not drill into the speaker... use the existing threaded inserts.
    Attached Files

Comment

• sikoniko
      Super Senior Member
      • Aug 2003

I received these 2 emails from b&w after sending an email to them last night before posting here. They are pretty quick...

Thank you for your interest in B&W! The SCM1's provided wall bracket is basically an L shaped bracket that would attach to the wall, and attaches to the SCM1 by means of a large screw which secures to the bottom of the SCM1 so it rests on the horizontal part of the "L". There are also 4 threaded inserts on the base of the SCM1 that would be compatible with an Omnimount bracket, type WB 75 (though I believe the model # has changed) as well. However ceiling mounting this speaker may be difficult, as I would not recommend suspending the speaker upside down by these threaded inserts, as eventually the weight and strain on the inserts could cause them to pull out of the cabinet. I'm not sure if Omni or other bracket manufacturers have an option that would allow you to secure the speaker at its base from the ceiling without hanging it upside down. I'd suggest discussing this with your local B&W dealer, who may have some further suggestions on possible ways to ceiling mount this speaker.
      and

Hello and thank you for your email. The only mounting hardware that comes with the SCM1's is for wall mounting. If you want to mount on the ceiling , there are two companies that you can look in too. www.omnimount.com and www.btech-usa.com . I would suggest that you do not use a bracket that screws into the cabinet. That will void any warranty on the speaker.

Comment

• sikoniko
        Super Senior Member
        • Aug 2003

For those that might be interested, the part from omnimount is simply the 30.0 WB

Comment

• greggz
          • Jun 2002

Looks like there are actually 2 Omnimount models; the 30.0 WB and 30.0 WBX. The arm on the WB extends out 9.75" from the wall and the WBX extends out 14.75" from the wall.

I think the SCM1's are designed for close mounting to the wall so the WB is probably the better choice unless you need the extra clearance. The OEM bracket that comes with the SMC1 only extends out 6" from the wall.
          Gregg

Our Home Theater

Comment

• jlee
            • Aug 2004

I did do some testing on hanging the SCM1 upside down and concluded it would be safe. I think the test I did was hang them from 1 or 2 threads only about 1-2" off the ground with lots of pillows there to cushion the fall if they did fall... they were good, so since then, I've had them like that for almost 2 years now. Whether they are upside down from the ceiling or upside down from the wall should make no difference from the speaker thread side of things... but I would be scared to mount them to the ceiling unless the stud was VERY secure. The Abbey Road studios have 5 HTM1 upside down from the ceiling. I also tested the threaded inserts on the HTM1 and they are in there very good. Bottom line, I would not hesitate to hang the SCM1 upside down. They weigh only 20 lbs and each thread can easily hold more than that by itself. With 4 of them, it's no problem. The ones I have for sale are the 30.0 WB with custom made adapter bracket so you don't scar the bottom of the speaker. The bracket that comes with the 30WB WILL leave a mark on the bottom of your SCM1's.

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"