X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • goe2112
    • Feb 2005

TV wall mounts, stationary vs adjustable

I'm purchasing a 42 inch LCD TV soon and plan on mounting it on the wall. I would prefer an adjustable mount that tilts both left and right, but unfortunately the cost almost doubles vs a stationary mount. My question for those who do have thier TV wall mounted are:

1. Do you prefer the TV mounted on the wall, or would you prefer the TV on it's stand.

2. For those that have a stationary mount. Are you happy with stationary mount or if you had to do it over again would you have an adjustable mount.

3. For those that have an adjustable mount. Do you adjust the TV often to warrant the extra cost. Did you find that you don't adjust the TV at all and would have prefered a stationary mount.

The cost for a stationary mount is around Sfr 250 - 300, adjustable mount Sfr 600 - 700 ( USD almost the same ). My budget is Sfr 2500. 2000 for TV, 500 for wall mount, delievery and installation. I can afford to buy an adjustable wall mount but ! I find it hard to spend that extra money on an adjustable mount if I really don't need to. So does an adjustable wall mount have an advantage to warrant the extra cost.

I appreciate any comments and of course your time in replying.
    Goe
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I've always used stationary mounts, and they've worked just fine for my needs. I could see a setup where an adjustable one would be worthwhile, but I haven't built one yet in my own house. I might be able to use one in my bathroom, to see the TV from different places in the bathroom depending on what I'm doing.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2007

My experience with an adjustable mount was pretty much the same... I thought I'd be swiveling it and such all time but put it up and never touched it again.
      -Chuck

Comment

• Ken49r
        • Dec 2007

I have a forward tilt on my 42 in. plasma in my living room. So far the only time I used the tilt was to dust the back vents of the TV and get to the cables with ease. I thought I would need the tilt because I hung the plasma higher than I wanted by putting my center channel on the stand where the plasma had set.

My experience with LCD's I tested for my bedroom was that I needed a head on view of the screen. Angled viewing washed out the picture. These were not high end LCD's and it was a cpl years ago. You may want to check that out when making your LCD purchase though.

Comment

• greenhorn
          • Feb 2007

Tilt Mount

I have a tilt mount on my 32" lcd in the bedroom. With furniture setup and all the sight line is slight up so the modest tilt down is nice.

In the living room the 42" plasma is sitting on a cabinet I have all the components in. I like it that way, I think there would be an odd depth thing if I had it on the wall behing the cabinet. So if you have to have a cabinet I would say use it for a stand if possible. Also makes for a good place to put the center channel.

Comment

• goe2112
            • Feb 2005

Thanks for the information.
            I'll be purchasing the stationary mount. I was quite sure that the stationary mount would suffice, but it never hurts to get inputs from people. Boy it's been almost 13 years since I last bought a new TV. I'm looking foward to moving from a 13 inch B/W to a 42 inch color TV.
            Just kidding, I have a 29 inch Samsung that's still going strong but it moves down into the hobby room.
            Well thanks for your time in replying.
            Joe

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"