X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TSG
    • Jan 2003

I got some new speaker cables..

Or should I say some "Zu" speaker cables?

I replaced 12 gauge Monster Cable with Zu Julian cables and I can't believe it. The slight edge (harshness?) that was there is now gone. Definitely more fluid... It's amazing! One step closer to heaven...........

Tom
    Tom
  • dsmith
    • Jan 2003

OOOOkay.

I might add I was flabbergasted recently to find an audio retailer selling 10 feet of fancy brand speaker cable for - hold your breath - $11,000! If I knew anyone who bought it I would love to get their name - we have lots of swamp land here in Florida I can sell him.

Don

Comment

• TSG
      • Jan 2003

dreamer.. I'm not sure but the way I read your response is you don't believe me.

I have read the thousands of posts (debates) over the last few years about zip cord versus high dollar cables. I listened to all the engineers and resisted buying expensive cables. I was a doubting Thomas until yesterday. I don't think I spent an exorbitant amount of money ($125) for them. Whether it's the sheilding, connectors or whatever.. the difference is there.

Anyway, You don't have to take my word for it.. Try them yourself.. risk free for 60 days.

Tom
      Tom

Comment

• dsmith
        • Jan 2003

TSG,

Well, sorry but I don't think speaker wire makes a difference unless you are using something really strange that would likely just degrade the sound. I have never heard a difference between interconnects, and the signal they carry is much more prone to picking up RF signals. You may want to read this white paper by an audio engineer, Roger Sanders, though I doubt it will change your mind.

<a href="http://innersound.net/main.htm" target="_blank">http://innersound.net/main.htm

But you are right that $125 is not an unreasonable sum, especially compared to the off-the-wall stuff I mentioned. The important thing is you like what you hear and as one who argues that amps do sound different, at least to me, that is what matters. I just cringe every time I read that someone paid a ridiculous sum for some audio tweak or accessory for which I don't think a benefit is justified or justifiable. I hope you were not offended.

Don

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

If you had 150,000 in your audio system, you wouldn't connect it with zip cord. That's why ultra-high end products do exist. No, they aren't for many people, and there's obviously, a point of diminishing returns for cables once you get over a few hundred to a grand. But not only can cables make a difference, this site is founded on the freedom to believe in products making a difference, and how can anyone say what does or doesn't make a difference in your system but you? So, if you want to believe in green magic markers improving your CD audio, we may or may not agree with you, but we will respect you.

Back to speaker cables, this is not to mention the fact that stranded zip cord is much more prone to oxidization than certain other cable construction or the fact that most al zip cord is covered in PVC, increasing wire resistance, and dielectric impact. Oxidation can be especially bad with bare wire or home termination by someone not knowing steps to prevent it. Some cable manufacturers take certain steps to reduce oxidization, and thus increase your cable conductivity over the long run, and make no mistake copper oxidation is not conductive. I've personally seen zip cord turn green. Yum. Then there are differences in connector quality. All things positive can contribute to a better product that may just last longer.

I will finally add, that poking fun of another person's purchase decision, even in jest, and with an apology after the fact is not acceptable at HTGuide, and I will be posting an overall notice to that effect soon.

Congrats on your purchase Tom. While that brand would not have been my first choice, I none the less respect the fact you say it's improved your audio experience, and that my friends is what we are after...

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
          Doug
          "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Well, TSG, I'll just say congratulations and leave it at that. If they work for you, and make you happy with the theater performance, then I give you kudos.

Or a banana.
            :banana:

CHRIS
            Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• David Meek
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

Tom, congratulations on the performance increase with the new cables. I hope they give you many good hours of listening pleasure. I've never understood the whole "issue" over cables. Some people hear a difference and some don't. You do, and that is GREAT. Some don't and that is fine, too. I can hear differences in the low- and middle-grade cables I've had. Now ,whether a $10K cable makes a difference, I don't know and never will, but if someone has the juice and thinks it does, more power to them. There again, if someone can't hear the difference between a Valhalla and a coat hanger, then they should go with the coat hanger and be immensely pleased with the money they save. Everyone's happy and no-one's hurt.

A friend I know paid serious money for a stainless, segmented radiator hose. It doesn't flow coolant any better that a less expensive one, but he really likes it's looks. It makes him feel good to have it in his classic car and people don't smear him for it. Go figure. . . .

David - HTGuide flunky
              Our "Theater"
              Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Rock Dog
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2003

TSG, Congrats on your new cables. I hope you enjoy them. I know my first jump from a standard 14 guage to a more "specialized" cable really made a difference. Too my surprise as well.

2 Quick questions, does Zu do interconnects as well? And do you have a link to a site?

Thanks

-Thomas-

The easiest way to find something lost around the house, is to buy a replacement.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide Off-Topic section. It's FUN!!!

-Thomas-

As long as people will accept crap, it will be financially profitable to dispense it.

Hey You! Make sure you stop by the HTguide After Midnight section. It's FUN!!!

Comment

• Kevin_McC
                  • Jan 2003

TSG,

I was never much of a believer in sound differences between wire as long as you were using an adequate guage based on the length of the cable and that it had decent insulation.

When I bought my speakers I also bought Audioquest type 4+ to wire them with and have been using it ever since.

I have some cat5 speakers cables laying around that a friend threw together and gave to me along time ago to try, but I never had a chance to try them, so the other day I plugged them in for the heck of it. You know something, right away I heard a difference.

I sat there thinking to myself wow I actually can hear a difference, but I guess I'm used to or prefer my Audioquest cables because what I heard with the CAT5 cables I didn't like. Now I'm a believer that speakers cables can have audible differences .

Anyway enough rambling, congratulations on your purchase/upgrade.

Comment

• TSG
                    • Jan 2003

Thanks for the feedback all.

dreamer.. I was not offended in the slightest.

Thomas.. They sell all kinds of cables. The website is zucable.com. I first saw them on ebay (user name: adam_zucable) and noticed they were much cheaper than the advertised price on the website. I needed some in 2 meter length and asked Adam if he were putting any up for bid in that length on ebay and he said he would. He did and I bought 'em.

Thanks again for your comments.

Tom
                    Tom

Comment

• John Holmes
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Congrats on the new cables TSG!

I'm of the camp that supports, cables make difference. But, I didn't accept it for awhile. Then oneday (a few yrs ago) I decided to give some a try...haven't looked back since.

Of course to each their own but, I'm glad you are happy with your purchase.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
                      "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"