X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xyzsurf
    • Jul 2005

Best projector for $1k?

I know this is awfully cheap for a good projector, but whats the best available for $1k? My friend asked me to find one and I've never researched projectors AT ALL, so I'm looking for a place to start.

I'll also need some good cheap web stores for these things!

Thanks! :T
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

The Infocus 4805 was available at $995USD for awhile, but I don't know if it can still be had for that price today. Other than that one, I am not aware of any PJs at $1K, but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. If your friend is willing to spend a bit more, the NEC HT1100, a killer dlp projector, has reduced its Mfgr Suggested Price to $1995USD so it can probably be had for around $1500 to $1600. I own an NEC HT1000, the forerunner to the HT1100 and I'll tell you, I haven't seen anything as good under $7K. I've owned mine for over 3 years now and I am still amazed at the quality of the pic on my 8 foot wide screen.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• hotguy8289
      • Jul 2004

Check out CRT. It's not for everyone, but "bang for your buck" it can't be beat.

Comment

• xyzsurf
        • Jul 2005

I'll ask him again how much he wants to spend, but I think $1k is it...

How about this Optoma H31? I've seen it mentioned on here some and it appears to get good reviews.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Yes, the Optoma is getting good reviews by owners. That seems to be a pretty good price, too.

As for crt, well I go way back in home theater and my first front projector was a crt. But let me say this, if you are a newbie to front projectors and unless you live in an area that has someone who can set up a crt FP for you, you had better stick to lcd, dlp, etc. I taught myself how to reconverge a crt projector and it ain't easy. But yes, the picture is still tops in the world of contrast and black levels.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• AndrewM
            • Oct 2000

You can pick up a Sanyo Z1 in the $600-700 range. A Z2 for around $1100. The 4805 can be had around that range, ditto for the Optima H31. The Epson S3 can be had in the $800 range. I'm sure there are a few others, no idea which would "best" out of the group.

Andrew

Comment

• Azeke
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2003

Here is an URL for you:

Projectors

This is a good reference point, but buyer beware .

Good luck,

Azeke

Comment

• sfdoddsy
                • Sep 2000

I've owned the Benq PB6100, Optoma H30, Infocus 4805 and Optoma H31, all of which are available around $1K. Of these the H31 is the best in my situation, followed reasonably closely by the 4805, which has worse black levels.

Steve
                Steve's OB Journey

Comment

• RobP
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Nov 2004

I just went to COSTCO this weekend and they had the Infocus 4805 with a screen for $999. You could probably get one from their website or catalog.
                  Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Jack Gilvey
                    • Aug 2001

The IF 4805 is the best $1000 you'll spend on HT gear. Grab one at Costco and try it.
                    From what I read, the Optoma H31 is basically equivalent.
                    Out-of-box, the 4805 is very bright (depending on screen), leading to greyish blacks. An ND2 filter took care of that for me.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"