X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Got my Panasonic PT AE700!

Just got my baby delivered today! Cool beans... haven't fully installed it, but a few preliminary thoughts with a temporary testing setup at a small scale projected on a wall:

1. The unit materials are cheaper than I thought they would be. It feels like fairly thin plastic, the front adjustment knob can only be described as "clunky", and the front lens and cap just feels chintzy. I hope there's no problems down the road, and that it looks okay when it's installed on the ceiling.

2. GREAT color saturation and brightness on a small-sized test setup right now. I'm opimistic that when I pull it out to a 119" diagonal on a perforated screen, it's still going to be plenty bright.

3. On some bright scenes, I thought I could see pixel lines for a screen door effect on my wall, even at a smaller size. (720p HDTV signal from DirecTV) We'll have to see what happens when I install it for real with a screen.

I think this is going to give me great performance once I install it for real and calibrate the sucker. Can't wait! I gotta go to bed now for work tomorrow.

I know others have an AE700 here on the forum. Perhaps we should start a thread with discussion topics. Here's my first question--how do I tell which firmware is installed? I think I have the latest (1.07 is it?) since the sticker on the bottom says "February 2005" but I'd like to make sure.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Radec
    • Jan 2005

I just set up my new AE700 over the weekend!! I really can't play too much with it until we finish a few things (We still haven't put carpet in the basement yet, so I have my 4 surround speakers but the front 3 are still in the closet :cry: )

I did play with it for about an hour or so and my first impressions were very good. I'm really excited to sit down (when I have furniture) and set it up properly.

Chris:
    To see you firmware version, look under "SELF CHECK" under service menu.
    You access the service menu by:
    Press Menu->Option
    highlight "OSD"
    Hold "ENTER" down for 3 seconds
    You should get a menu that looks like :
    FREEZE MSG (on)
    HD OVERSCAN (off)
    RUNTIME PRT (on)
    FAN FULLMODE (off)
    AUTO SETUP (normal)
    SELF CHECK
    SERVICE MODE
    FLICKER ADJ
    SD LEVEL (c)
    525p OS (off)
    HDCP1 (a)
    HDCP2 (on)

It may look different if you have a very old firmware as the newer versions (1.05 and higher) they added a few things.

There is an entry in the service menu called "Service Mode" which provides many helpful test images. They can be used to check for stuck & dead pixels, as well as panel alignment and other potential problems. [NOTE: There is also a second service menu which can be accessed by holding down "ENTER" for three seconds while the "Pic Shift" selection is highlighted in the first service menu. The limited settings in that menu do not seem as useful.]

OK you now know what I know in 2 hrs of playing. Keep this thread going!!!!

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Congrats Chris! While I am not familiar with this particular projector, I am sure it's a first rate contender. Regarding build quality, they don't seem to put to much into most of these projectors. But it should not impact performance anyway.

Enjoy your new setup once setup! Oh wait, i think you are waiting on a cable from someone, lol.

Doug
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Thanks, Radec, you and I can learn about the AE700 firsthand together. I've found a bit of discussion on it on the internet, but haven't even begun to take time to sit down, read, and apply anything. BTW, I grew up in Castle Rock, and my wife's from Littleton. That'll always be my home in my heart as I travel with the military.

Doug, you hit the nail on the head there. Right now I have some el-cheapo wires jury-rigged to do some preliminary testing, but that's it. Can't wait!
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Oh, hey, here's a question that somebody may MAYBE be able to answer. I have a Theater Master MX-700 remote control. I can't figure out--are there codes for the AE700 pre-programmed in the MX Editor software that I can use to control the AE700? Or am I going to have to learn each remote function separately? I can't find it anywhere in the MX Editor. (or any Panasonic projector, for that matter)
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• jmc_htguide
            • Jan 2005

Radec and Chris, I am in the same boat. Got my AE700 as soon as the rebate started. I have only played with it a little to make sure it was not DOA and to watch the NC State Wolfpack beat UConn in true HD. It was AMAZING. I never realy thought the HD setups in the store (BB and CC) were that great, but even on my wall (painted dark red) the game was terrific.

I think I have the 1.05 firmware.

I haven't yet tried to tweak it so I'm very interested in learning what works best (for all of us)

PS. I don't even have any audio hooked up. I have the HD cable box, but I am using my computer speakers. I haven't purchased any of the audio components yet (still shopping)
            Jeff
            New System in 2q2005

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Wow, Jeff, projecting on a dark red wall? I assume you're getting a screen? Sounds like you're going for a complete setup all at once!
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Hmmmm... this may be a problem. Mine says under "self check":

"R1.05 A1.03 P1.05"

I take it that this is version 1.05. I bought it from Projector People, who advertised that they had the latest version, which I understand is 1.07. See the following link: http://www.projectorcentral.com/Pana...00U-prices.htm

I just checked, and don't see any stuck/dead pixels.
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• jmc_htguide
                  • Jan 2005

Chris, I'm right with you. I bought from PP too. Unfortunately (I'm an idiot) I didn't confirm I wanted 1.07 in my order (nor did I see the 1.07 ad on their site). I figure unless I see problems it's probably not worth the hassle.

And, YES I do plan to buy a screen, just trying to decide the exact size.
                  Last edited by jmc_htguide; 25 March 2005, 09:30 Friday. Reason: typo
                  Jeff
                  New System in 2q2005

Comment

• Trevor Schell
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2000

Chris,,Can't wait to see your final set-up.
                    Make sure to post some pictures. :T
                    Enjoy the PJ..:yesnod:
                    Trevor

XBOX 360 CARD

Comment

• Radec
                      • Jan 2005

I also have version 1.05.
                      I guess the 1.07 version is out, but it is rather new and there is still some discussion on what it actually fixes. Some have said the only thing it does was fix the video color balance between PAL and SECAM. If that is the case, I really don't think it would be worth it, but I'm still going to look to see what else is in the 1.07. I'm sure you guys will too, but in the meantime I'm going get the Video Essentials disk out and do my best to make the picture look AWESOME!!! :T

Comment

• Chris D
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Dec 2000

You're right, racec... this is the E-mail I got from Projector People today:

Version 1.07 - The release date and serial number cut-off for this version of firmware is not available, however Version 1.07 is shipping

The 1.07 firmware upgrade addressed a minor color balance setting on composite/S-Video for PAL/SECAM signal. Thus the firmware upgrade from 1.05 to 1.07 would not have any impact for end users in the USA.
                        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                          • Jan 2004

1.05 should be fine, I have 320hrs on mine with the same firmware and have no issues. Do the Flicker adjust tweak by getting into the Service Mode (above) and select Flicker Adjust, this will project the 3 primary solid color patterns onto the screen and allow you to adjust each for least amount of flicker, it helps to look at the screen with your peripheral vision (not directly) to see any flicker. Also turn the unit completely off when not in use, don’t leave in standby mode, this should completely eliminate and VB. I'll post some of my settings for user 1 - User 3 presets that help the black level quite a bit, however it wont be4 the same on all AE700's as they are all a bit different, but it's a starting point. Wait until you get a good HD feed to it on a proper screen, it's amazing.
                          My Center Channel Project

Comment

• Chris D
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Dec 2000

Cool... I think it would be useful to share our various settings.

I just updated my software editing program for my Theater Master remote tonight. There are literally maybe 50 various video displays listed under Panasonic that I can choose for remote control IR codes, but NONE of them match up with the AE700. I'm wondering if maybe all the codes in this database are for Panasonic televisions, not any of their projectors. If anybody knows which code I can use so I don't have to peck through each of the 50+ codes, uploading and testing, it would really help me out. Worst comes to worse, I'll just learn all the codes into my remote, but I'd rather use a permanent database if it's in there somewhere.
                            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                              • Jan 2004

The user presets can be programmed to any color settings you want, here are my User 1 and 2 settings based on video mode. I start with video mode and adjust from there, here are my settings for these modes.

Bright HDTV mode
                              Picture Settings
                              Contrast +6
                              Bright +2
                              Color -2
                              Tint +1
                              Sharp +3
                              Color temp +1

Advanced Settings
                              Gamma low -1
                              Contrast R -2
                              Contrast G -2
                              Contrast B +2
                              Bright R +1

Dark Mode
                              Picture Settings
                              Contrast -1
                              Bright 0
                              Color +1
                              Tint +1
                              Sharp +5
                              Color temp -1

Advanced Settings
                              Gamma low -1
                              Contrast R -2
                              Contrast G 0
                              Contrast B 0
                              Bright R -2

Comment

• jmc_htguide
                                • Jan 2005

What brand/model of screens are you using. I've finally decided the screen size (100") now I just need to get one. Any advice?
                                Jeff
                                New System in 2q2005

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                                  • Jan 2004

Da-Lite High Contrast works good for me, PP recommends this screen for the AE700.

Comment

• Chris D
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Dec 2000

Kingdaddy, I just did a preliminary run of Digital Video Essentials. Haven't even installed my Da-Lite screen yet, just projecting on a wall for now. Here's my settings, starting with "Normal":

Lamp Power Low
                                    Contrast +6
                                    Bright -6
                                    Color -9
                                    Tint +3
                                    Sharpness -6

Honestly, I don't know yet how to adjust gamma properly. How did you do it? Using DVE and the color/tint above, the blue and red seem to be shacked, but the greens are off.

I just broke down and did the fat-fingering manual learning of each AE700 remote code into my MX-700 master remote. Works fine.

I got my Denon 3910 player last night, and I can't get it to display pluge over HDMI. (haven't tried others yet) There's no pluge issues with the AE700, are there?
                                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Radec
                                      • Jan 2005

My problem with the AE700 is the settings out of the box are fairly good, so for the 3rd night in a row I sit down to calibrate it and end up watching a movie instead!! ops:

Just had the carpet installed, so this weekend I will for sure play with it and post my settings

Comment

• Kingdaddy
                                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Chris Dotur
                                        Honestly, I don't know yet how to adjust gamma properly. How did you do it? Using DVE and the color/tint above, the blue and red seem to be shacked, but the greens are off.

I got my Denon 3910 player last night, and I can't get it to display pluge over HDMI. (haven't tried others yet) There's no pluge issues with the AE700, are there?

Over at AVS forum someone posted their settings for gamma after a colorfax calibration, I used that for a start and adjusted a bit to my preference.

Pluge, whats that?

Comment

• Chris D
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Dec 2000

that's the "blacker than black" that DVD players should be able to pass to video displays. Players will send an actual black color where appropriate for dark parts of scenes, but they should also be able to pass the ABSENCE of color, which is "blacker than black". On setup discs, it's the darkest of either two or three black bars used to set brightness.
                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                            Moderator Emeritus
                                            • Jan 2001

Chris

In another thread you mentioned that the image from the 700 on your 16:9 screen is slightly taller. That particular problem is usually related to the blanking settings. Does the Panny allow you to adjust the blanking ? If it does you should be able to cut back on that overscan.
                                            My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Dec 2000

George, I'm not familiar with the term "blanking". Haven't seen it in the various menus, either, even the hidden service menu. Could you explain?

I've adjusted my picture so that it fills the width of the screen, and the taller height bleeds over to the black velvet frame where it is (mostly) absorbed.
                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Jan 2001

What a blanking feature allows you to do is black out that area that is bleeding over your screen frame. I had this feature on an old Sony VPL400 lcd but it was in the service menu and you had to know how to get in. It may also be in the hidden service menu of the Panasonic but under some other technical term. On my NEC HT1000 dlp the blanking feature is accessible in the user menu and you can blank out top, bottom, left or right sides of the screen.I don't believe that you should have to live with that problem over the picture bleeding over your frame. Have you talked to the Panasonic service techs about this ?
                                                My Homepage!

Comment

• Bent
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Sep 2003

Chris, a local dealer has a 16/9 screen on display, but it isn't really a 16/9.
                                                  we measuer it, and it didn';t precisely measure up to a 16/9 ratio.
                                                  can you confirm with a tape measure that it isn't your screen?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Jan 2001

Good point, Bent. I have heard of that problem, too.
                                                    My Homepage!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                                      • Jan 2001

Chris

Did you ever get that " bleed" problem solved ?
                                                      My Homepage!

Comment

• PMazz
                                                        • May 2001

I've had the 700 for a while now and am delighted with the bang/buck performance. I've been playing with Normal mode fed thru my HTPC using TTek. I use a moniter calibration program to set color levels in Advanced mode. I plan to next try a rose colored laminate screen to try my hand at increasing CR instead of a filter.

Pete
                                                        Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• Chris D
                                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                                          • Dec 2000

George - haven't had a chance to dig further, but no, I don't think that I'm going to be able to solve the "bleed" problem. I'll check when I get time.
                                                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• greglowe
                                                            • May 2005

Hello,

I new to HT, just got a 700 and a Matte White DaLite is on the way. I was thinking of putting a 'clear' filter over the lens just to protect it. Is that ok to do? I know it was a great thing to do with my 35mm camera, saved the lens a few times. Does anyone know the thread size of the lens?

Comment

• Chris D
                                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                                              • Dec 2000

Sorry, Greg, I don't... but welcome to the Guide! :banana:

George, looking into the "bleed" problem, I'm not sure that anything can be done. It's interesting--without an input signal, the AE700 shows a pure blue or white screen that as I said is just larger than the 16:9 screen in the vertical. However, showing an actual picture from satellite or DVD, it is just smaller than the blue or white screen picture size, and looks like it might actually be 16:9 true or at least close. There's only one hidden advanced menu in the AE700 that I'm aware of. There may be more, but I doubt it. In the hidden menu, there is an option for "HD overscan" which seems to increase the height of an actual picture signal when turned on. It does nothing to the blue or white screen without a picture signal. The default is off, where I have left it. It seems to be just about right. It's just a bummer, in that it's much easier to dial in the actual picture to the screen frame with the blue or white pure screen than an actual picture signal. Actual pictures are tougher to judge the edge, and it's hard to find an actual picture that's a pure color, vs. the blue or white pure screen of the AE700 that's available with the push of a button.
                                                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• PMazz
                                                                • May 2001

Originally posted by greglowe
                                                                Hello,

I new to HT, just got a 700 and a Matte White DaLite is on the way. I was thinking of putting a 'clear' filter over the lens just to protect it. Is that ok to do? I know it was a great thing to do with my 35mm camera, saved the lens a few times. Does anyone know the thread size of the lens?
                                                                77mm from what I read about using filters.

Pete
                                                                Birth of a Media Center

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Jan 2001

Chris

Did you check the overscan test pattern with the Avia, VE or DVE disc to see exactly what your overscan piositioning actually is ? My projectors allow you to set either a 5% or a 0% overscan framing. Don't know if you have that feature on the 700 but if you do it might be interesting to see what happens to the bleed after you change the overscan. Just a thought. That bleed is a real bummer. I often use the blue screen without an input to make sure everything is lined up because now and then the lens shift gets bumped and moves a little.
                                                                  My Homepage!

Comment

• kckucera
                                                                    Junior Member
                                                                    • Jul 2005

HDCP modes with AE700

Does anyone have a resource to explain the difference between HDCP1 and HDCP2 modes? Also SD levels? Changing the HDCP Modes seems to have no visual effect. I am using a Samsung D931 DVD player connected to my Panasonic AE700 via DVI to HDMI cables. The Samsung has the capability of changing from HDCP modes A and B. Again not much difference but wondering if there is some magic here. Thanks in advance.
                                                                    Ken

Comment

Working...
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"