X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SZ99
    • Feb 2005

Shortest throw distance / Smallest image

I need to project an image that is about 3 inches wide (diag). Therefore, I need a projector that has a very short throw distance and that makes very small images (obviously I am not planning to use it as a regular projector). Also, the technology must be DLP. Does such a product exist or what is the projector that has the shortest throw distance / smallest image?

Thanks for your help,

SZ
  • Kevin P
    • Aug 2000

I'm not sure why you'd want to project an image that small (Barbie's home theater?) , but you might want to see this mini-DLP unit mentioned in this thread.

Full size projectors aren't going to have the ability to focus at that short a throw distance. Maybe with some sort of add-on lens it could be made to work, but I have to ask, why would you want a 3" diagonal projected image from a DLP? You could get a 3" diagonal direct-view LCD panel for pretty cheap.

Comment

• SZ99
      • Feb 2005

I know it sounds a little stupid to do that. The projector would be used to test light-sensitive materials for a science project.

The mini-DLP sounds very interesting (and it seems to be cheap). Thanks a lot.

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Aug 2000

For that application, does the PJ need to focus sharply? Or do you just need a strong blast of light?

If you just need a strong blast of light (with control over color/brightness), any DLP or LCD PJ will do. If you need to project a focused image at that range, you'll need an external lens of some sort.

Depending on what kind of control you need over the projected image, you could even use a cheap slide projector (if this is a school project, see if you can borrow one from the school).

The mini-DLP produces a lot less light than a regular projector. I don't know if that matters for your science project or not.

Comment

• Brandon B
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2001

Budget?

BB

Comment

• SZ99
            • Feb 2005

I have to be able to focus sharply. The reason why I want it to be DLP is that I might have to replace the lamp with other light sources (UV, IR). Liquid crystals might not respond well to these wavelengths. Therefore, all I need is a computer-controlled DLP chip with the appropriate optics to project small images.

I would like to find something cheap (below 1000$), especially if I have to change parts in it, but I could get something a little more expensive if I have to.

Comment

• Brandon B
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2001

Where are you?

BB

Comment

• SZ99
                • Feb 2005

Toronto, Canada...why?

Comment

• Patt
                  • Feb 2005

Ohhh...Mannn.......Excuse me, but I just envisioned "Barbie's Home Theatre".

.................................. :rf
                  ......Pat

Comment

• Stoney
                    • Dec 2004

Might be a good challenge for the DIY guys; Fully functional HT in a doll house. :lol:
                    Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
                    Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
                    B&W DM605 S2 Mains
                    DM602 S2 Surrounds
                    DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
                    CC6 S2 Center.
                    ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• Brandon B
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2001

Checking if you were nearby to Los Angeles.

BB

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"