• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bent
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2003

projector throw angle?

Greetings,
    Although I currently have a Widescreen RPTV, I am trying to keep up with the fast-paced-ever-changing world of LCD and DLP projectors, one of the hang-ups I have with them is you can get a short throw pj (Panasonic AE series), or a long throw (Sony VPL-400Q, I know it's long in the tooth now), but then have to fork out extra cash for an optional lens to change it's throw distance... Why not make either lens optional to keep costs down?

And the other question, and this one seems to mean a lot to me, none of my friends seem to think it matters, but some pj's like the Panny AE series, or less so the Z1, don't throw the closest edge of it's image away from the lens in the same direction as the far edge? (ok, I'll try another way...) If you use a InFocus X1, it can be mounted flush with an 8' ceiling, (inverted) and have the top edge of it's image land "below" the lens' height, leaving you with a dramatic and effective gap between the ceiling, and the top of the screen. I believe that the Plus Piano(s) can also do this. This leaves you with a more aesthetically pleasing installation, as you don't wind up with the pj hanging down at the 6' - 6.5' level and smacking your mellon on it. Who else makes a projector that has a image offset like this?

The lens shift feature of the PLV-Z1 is almost the answer, although I'd have liked them to include a tiny bit more adjustment on it so it could also pull this stunt off.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Yeah, it would be nice to have a choice of long or short throw. Those that do offer this ( some Sony lcds like the 10HT ) charge an arm and a leg for the different throw lens.

As far as offset goes, some go too far and others not enough. You really have to know the offset of the PJ you intend to install in your particular home theater. Infocus PJs ( like the X1 and their 7200 ) have a very large offset, but the NEC HT1K that I own presents many problems because it has too much of an offset. For example, mine is on the bottom shelf ( just about floor level) of a table and the offset from the middle of the lens to the bottom of my screen is a tad under 20 inches. This offset can create many problems for ceiling installs. Fortunately, since the NEC is a native 4:3, when setup in 16:9 mode you can move the 16:9 frame up oir down within the unused portion of the 4:3 panel. But the best thing out there is PJs with a lens shift feature. They offer quite a bit of versatility in setup for various HTs.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"