X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeremy77
    • May 2005

New to front projection. Need help/advice

Ok first let me apologize up-front for my lack of knowledge on front projectors.
    What little video knowledge I have is on rptv. I am trying to find out if it is even feasible for me to get a projector. The way my room is set up my viewing distance form the screen would be limited to 11-12 feet max and the projector would be limited to no more than 12 feet back from the screen (throw distance). I have blackout shades for the window but the entrance to the room is open (no doors or coverings, at least not yet) so the first question is this feasible for a projector? If it is feasible my budget is around $2,000 and I would like the projector to be 16x9 and be HDTV compatible (if this is possible at this price point) the main viewing will be DVD and HDTV. What are the recommend brands? (Will the picture quality in this price range be close to my Pioneer Elite Pro-610hd crt rptv?). For the screen (my budget is $500) I would like it to be 16x9 and a manual pull down. What size and company should I be looking at? Questions about the types of projectors. On the LCD projectors do they have the problems with motion and black level like the rptv and flat screens do? On DLP projectors do they have the problems with black level and rainbow effect like the rptv? My budget "right now" is $2k for the projector with $500 extra for the screen and/or a little extra for the projector depending on how much the screen cost. I just started doing the research and it will be a little while before I buy, so my budget might increase. Also the throw distance for the projector will be 11-12feet. One of the projectors I have been looking at is the Panasonic PT-AE700U. I used this projector in the "projection calculator" on P.C. web site and I used the throw distance of 11 feet with a screen gain of 1 and I came up with a 92" diagonal 16x9 screen (with a smaller screen it displays the message "Recommend lower brightness by increasing image size or reducing screen gain") with my seating distance of 11 feet.
    I was wondering what is thought about this?

I appreciate all of the help
    Thanks!
    Jeremy
    Last edited by Jeremy77; 07 May 2005, 19:55 Saturday.
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Sounds like the Panny 700 would suit you just fine. Certainly nothing wrong with the room dimensions and your seating distance. There are issues with both dlp and lcd technoligies. Some get headaches or see rainbows with dlp, while others can't stand lcd because of vertical banding or fixed panel noise. I own both technologies and like them both for different reasons, but if rainbows don't bother you and you are not obsessed with FPN, etc., then either technology will please you I'm sure.
    My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"