X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Doop
    • Dec 2004

Benq Pe7800???????

I'm seeing this machine at around $2K, give or take. The specs look good. I'd been figuring on an Infocus 4805. This sounds like it would be a better deal.

Reviews/information seems to be scarce. Can anybody fill in the blanks?

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on a projector. Just have to finish my taxes and see what Uncle Sam leaves me for my HT. :twisted:
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

The BenQ PE7800 is a WSVGA 1024 x 576 dlp projector with a 5x color wheel and 800 lumens brightness. It's sort of a medium throw PJ. It projects a 100" diagonal image at 11.4 to 13.9 feet. If it's available for 2K or less that is certainly a good price as the msrp on this when it first came out was just under 5500K. Thus far I have not seen a review on it but the other BenQ models 8700/6200, etc., all seem to get good reviews.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• JonMarsh
      Mad Max Moderator
      • Aug 2000

This Benq uses the Matterhon DLP engine, so it's what you would call widescreen PAL resolution (576P). No info on scaling engine, so it probably doesn't have Faroudja DCDi built in. Scaler performance will be critical to DVD quality (going from 480P to 576 can result in artefacts or softening). Downcoverted HDTV should look pretty good.

It DOES indicate DVI-I input for RGB compatibility, as well as HDCP, so it should support HDCP encrypted soruces if this spec is correct. Comes with a DVI-D cable.

The PDF is pretty low res, which is a shame, as the input panel photo is not very legible- specs indicate BNC inputs, (good) for progressive component and RGB-HV, in addition to DVI port and RCA component inputs (apparently for 480i interlaced).

Sometimes the Matterhorn based projectors do best with an HTPC or external scaler- that may be one point to check out. Runco offers some nice (read, "expensive") Matterhorn based projectors, but put a fair amount of effort into the scaler.

As always, an audition before a purchase is very recommended to avoid buyer's remorse.

~Jon
      the AudioWorx
      Natalie P
      M8ta
      Modula Neo DCC
      Modula MT XE
      Modula Xtreme
      Isiris
      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
      Minerva Monitor
      Calliope
      Ardent D

In Development...
      Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
      Obi-Wan
      Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
      Modula PWB
      Calliope CC Supreme
      Natalie P Ultra
      Natalie P Supreme
      Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
      Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"