X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mcmanus1000
    • Dec 2004

Another which projector should I buy thread

I have noticed that alot of people have posted similar threads, so I apologise for posting this, but I would really appreciate any input and recommendations anyone has for this newbie.

I am looking to buy a projector to use for the following activities, in order of importance: watch TV at night, watch DVDs and occasionally watch TV during the day. I am going to install the projector in my living room, which has 2 large windows. I can draw the curtains and shut out most ambient light if I need to, but it would be great if I could find a projector that I could watch during the day without shutting out the outside world if I wanted to.

I am looking for picture quality that is similar, if not superior, to a plasma or LCD flat panel TV. Also, although we do not have HDTV broadcasts here in the UK yet, I would like something that is excellent at showing HDTV broadcasts, so I won't have to upgrade when we finally get HDTV here.

I put together the list of projectors below based on my preliminary research. However, much of the rationale behind the list below was based on the published brightness rating which I understand is generally inaccurate according to posts in this forum. This is my list:

Hitachi PJ TX-100
    Epson EMP TW-200H
    Mitsubishi HC900
    Sony VPL-HS20
    Sony VPL-HS50

I noticed that there is not much talk on here about some of the projectors above, particularly the Mitsubishi and Epson...perhaps it is because I am in the UK and we have different models and pricing here? My budget is the equivalent of 2-4,000 US dollars...of course I would prefer to be at the lower end of that range. Any input is GREATLY appreciated.
  • mcmanus1000
    • Dec 2004

I did a bit more research and found out that the Epson that I am considering in the UK is called the Epson PowerLite Cinema 200+ in the US. I have seen some comments on here on the Cinema 200, but not the 200+. Anyone have any comments?

Comment

• Kingdaddy
      • Jan 2004

Do a search on the panasonic AE700u, it's very bright and has excellent HD PQ.
      My Center Channel Project

Comment

• wkrasl
        • Dec 2004

Originally posted by mcmanus1000
        I am looking to buy a projector to use for the following activities, in order of importance: watch TV at night, watch DVDs and occasionally watch TV during the day. I am going to install the projector in my living room, which has 2 large windows. I can draw the curtains and shut out most ambient light if I need to, but it would be great if I could find a projector that I could watch during the day without shutting out the outside world if I wanted to.
        The problem isn't picking a projector ... it's picking a screen. I have the same issues, and am trying to find current info on the new Sony Black Screen but getting nowhere. I won't buy any projector without this screen. :nonod:

See http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...y+black+screen

Comment

• Asterduc
          • Dec 2004

Hi mcmannus 1000,

A chop in Germany has demonstrated the following projectors to me last week:
          - Toshiba MT200 (DLP)
          - Toshiba MT500 (DLP)
          - Sanjo Z3 (LCD)
          - Epson 200 (LCD)
          - Mitsubishi HC900 (DLP)

The Toshiba's were great in picturing, but the MT200 had insufficiant zoom for my room and the MT500 was too expensive and too noisy.
          Sanjo was very quite but I saw a red area in the left corner all the time.
          The Epson had good ambiant picture (not as sharp and dark as the DLP's), but it was not as silent as the Sanjo, the black was slightly gray compared to the DLP's and the 200 doesn't have a digital input (DVI).
          The Mitsubishi had a great picture and black color but the DLP discmotor made an high frequency irritating noice, like the hard disk on a PC.

The Panasonic AE700 should be a great projector too, but I couldn't see one in demo.

After all I found the Epson best fit for my purpose (<2000 euro) but I don't think to purchase due to the missing DVI in.

Comment

• Dean McManis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • May 2003

Also check out the Infocus SP5000 720p LCD projector.
            That's what I just bought (although the Panny AE700 was quite tempting).

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"