X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SiliGoose
    • Aug 2000

Indented Reply Feature

At first I thought this was a nice feature. However, now I realize it can actually make the thread more difficult to follow. In a long thread it breaks the established logic of the order in which we read the thread.

Due to the other forums on the 'net we're used to reading threads in a linear order. The Indented Reply Feature means that linear order can be disturbed by placing a new reply earlier in the thread. That may result in several new replies going unread...simply missed because the established logic is to scroll to the bottom for the newest response.

Just my $0.02

-Sili
    www.campmurphy.net
  • Lexman
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2000

This is really a forum software issue of course, not an HTGuide issue except to the extent it affects our members. If I recall, Mats said there is a feature to turn this off, so we will let Mats hear the input here about this, and decide what to do. So please post here if you tend to agree with Sili.

Personally, I tend to agree as well, but was trying to give the new layout a chance before passing any judgements. Other than that, I have been to busy with other issues to really worry about it, lol.

If its a software thing that represents a program change, then that would be up to CFBoards. But you do have excellent input into CFBoards with the developer here.

Thanks for the input Sili,

Lex

Comment

• Mats
      Special Member
      • Jun 2000

The whole idea is that you can reply to a post somewhere hight up in the thread and get the replay close to that post and not at the bottom of the thread where the discussion can have taken another path. The function Show New Posts will take you to any new post added to the thread no matter where in the tree it is. Next to each post that is new is a small button Next New which takes you to the next post etc.
      But... it's no problem switching into this old style if evryone thinks that's how they want it.
      The Show Thread Tree is still showing the tree they way you respond to a message.

Mats
      HTGuide
      Mats
      Mats Strömberg
      Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
      Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

• Mats
        Special Member
        • Jun 2000

Okie Dokie folks. The board is set to flat mode.

Mats
        HTGuide
        Mats
        Mats Strömberg
        Ah! It's a profit deal! Takes the pressure off! Get your weight guessed right here! Only a buck! Actual live weight guessing! Take a chance and win some crap!
        Navin R Johnson (alias Steve Martin)

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"