X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

The Tree Of Life is not for everyone...

I'm sure that most filmmakers want to believe that every film they make is a work of art, but most of what is coming out of Hollywood today is anything but art. As for me, well I put film in three columns. In the first column we have films as a form of pure entertainment. In the second column I put film as an art form as well as entertainment. And in the last column I put film as absolute pure art that makes you think, and this is where everything Terrence Malick has ever done surely belongs. And even moreso with Tree Of Life.

Although on the surface, The Tree Of Life is a simple tale about a young man's journey from childhood to adulthood and the conflicting emotions he encounters due to a love/hate relationship with his father, and how in the end he comes to terms with it all. But that is only the surface. As with any Malick film, you are bombarded with imagery, along with moments of whispered voiceovers asking deep questions that can have several meaningful answers. So you drink it all in and try to get just what it is Terrence Malick is trying to say. With The Tree Of Life, it may help if you are religious, or at least knowledgable in the Book of Job, because much of The Tree Of Life is heavy with that theme. And of course there is the final scene where the boy as an adult wanders through rugged terrain to the calm serenity of a beach. This scene has no doubt been heavily discussed by Malick fans and critics, and it will continue to be discussed by film lovers in general. What does it all mean ?

So, unless you are a Terrence Malick fan, rent this film with caution. You will either be bored to tears in the first half hour or will be so fascinated that you will hang on to every image and every word, though there are few of the latter.

The film stars Brad Pitt as the authoritarian and complex father, Jessica Chastain as the angelic mother, Sean Penn as the adult troubled son, and a very good little actor, Hunter McCracken as the young boy, whom you will see through most of the film. Brad is terrific, as is Jessica. We don't see much of Penn, but he is mesmerizing when on screen.

All in all, it is a great artistic triumph for Malick, who had this thing gestating in his mind for 40 years. As for me, well I will be watching it again soon, trying to come up with meaningful answers to those deep, probing questions.
    Last edited by George Bellefontaine; 01 November 2011, 11:01 Tuesday.
    My Homepage!
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

This film was gorgious to watch due to the excellent cinematography but it went absolutely nowhere as a movie.
    Dan Madden :T

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Originally posted by madmac
      it went absolutely nowhere as a movie.
      It does, but this is a film with several layers and getting your head around it all is very difficult. However, Malick fans are used to this. That's why I said you may want to pass on this if you are not a Terrence Malick fan.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

I would say it is tougher to "get a grip" on this one than his two previous films. That said, Jessica Chastain is, indeed, angelic and it was worth watching for the visuals alone. Wouldn't propose it as a "date night" movie, though.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
          I would say it is tougher to "get a grip" on this one than his two previous films.
          It is indeed, Paul
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

I plan to watch it again (there were a few minor glitches with the rental disc--small skips during the "creation" section) at least once to see if I understand it better (maybe twice to gaze upon Jessica--I have "une faiblesse" for redheads). :T

However, I can certainly understand why some (many?) would find it difficult to sit through the film even once. Malick is an acquired taste.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Malick is an acquired taste.
              That's for sure. But I got hooked on him right after I saw Badlands back in the 70s. There was just something intriguing in how he handled a film, based on fact, about a young couple on a killing spree.
              One that I have been going to add to my collection was Days Of Heaven. I haven't seen it in years. But yesterday I saw the Criterion version on Blu-ray at Future Shop and grabbed it quickly. It wasn't cheap, but I really wanted it in my collection and wanted to view it again.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

At least it's easy enough to own his complete catalogue. My favourite all time director is Alfred Hitchcock. A complete collection is somewhat daunting to amass. I can only imagine if one's favourite is John Ford.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

I can only imagine if one's favourite is John Ford.
                  Tell me about it. I've been collecting his work for years and still don't have everything, though I do have most of the John Wayne stuff.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Originally posted by madmac
                    This film was gorgious to watch due to the excellent cinematography but it went absolutely nowhere as a movie.
                    Just watched this yesterday, and mac's comments here pretty much sum it up for me. I watched it on our HDTV, and I wish I would have at least watched it in my theater on the big screen, as the first 30 minutes of cinematography was visually stunning.

Other than that, I really didn't like this film. Oh, but yes, Jessica Chastain is a hottie as a redhead.

Perhaps I missed it in the movie, but at the beginning, when Pitt and Chastain get a telegram and are really broken up, was that in later years, and did one of their sons die, like in Vietnam or something?
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Chris D
                      Just watched this yesterday, and mac's comments here pretty much sum it up for me. I watched it on our HDTV, and I wish I would have at least watched it in my theater on the big screen, as the first 30 minutes of cinematography was visually stunning.

Other than that, I really didn't like this film. Oh, but yes, Jessica Chastain is a hottie as a redhead.

Perhaps I missed it in the movie, but at the beginning, when Pitt and Chastain get a telegram and are really broken up, was that in later years, and did one of their sons die, like in Vietnam or something?

don't say I didn't warn ya !!! :roll:
                      Dan Madden :T

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"