Any experience with the Dayton Reference series 10?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Black300zx
    • Feb 2007

Any experience with the Dayton Reference series 10?

Anyone used these yet? Although I'm in the middle of designing a set of small bookshelf, my future set of mains sits in the back of my head. It will be a 2-part design. The top part being either an MTM or TMM using a Seas 27tbfc/g and a pair of peerless exclusive 7's. The bottom section will either be a bass bin, or a sub enclosure that will likely house 2 10's or 3 8's per side. Currently I'm toying with the idea of using either 2 dayton ref 10's or 3 reference 8's for bass bins. If budget and space allow, that may get bumped up to 3 10's or 4 8's per side.

So the question is - Has anyone used the 10" dayton reference series woofers? If so, how much airspace do they like? I searched a bit, but didn't find anything. WinISD shows the 10's needing 1.7 cubes per, but I don't trust WinISD much since it has a tendency to sometime jack up the volume to get a slightly flatter response.
  • kingpin
    • Jun 2006

Brian and Chris's Dayton 3-way towers use the Dayton(rs270).
    All the spec's can be found in their thread in the missions accomplished section.
    Here is the link.

Mike
    Call me "MIKE"
    "PROJECT OVERKILL" :B:B -WWMTMSS- :B:B
    "PROJECT OVERKILL" is now the :B:B "mini-me's" :B:B
    CLICK HERE TO SEE PROJECT OVERKILL
    CLICK HERE TO SEE ALL MY BUILD PICS
    "PROJECT OVERKILL" IS GOING UNDER THE KNIFE. :B :B "mini-me's :B :B !!
    Dual sealed 18" Mach-5 ixl 18.4 subs

Comment

• mazurek
      • Mar 2006

Are you talking about the RS 270 or RS 265, there are two reference 10's, ones a woofer, one is a subwoofer. The woofer has been used on this site. Informaly measurements of my RS 10 subwoofer tell me it is about the same as the RS 12 distortion and response, but the breakup is about 500 Hz further out. My measurements generally agreed with those posted on this site for the 12", my conclusion to the informal testing was that best distortion performance crossed to a SS 4531g was 100Hz. They remain acceptable out higher though, again look at the 12" measurements on this site.

Comment

• Black300zx
        • Feb 2007

I guess searching the part number, rather than reference 10, would yeild alot more results Oh well.

But yea, in this thread I'm specifically asking about the rs270 woofer. I'll also be looking into the reference 10" subwoofer if I stick with 2 10's per side, and use a lower x-over frequency.

Comment

• kingpin
          • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Black300zx
          I guess searching the part number, rather than reference 10, would yeild alot more results Oh well.

But yea, in this thread I'm specifically asking about the rs270 woofer. I'll also be looking into the reference 10" subwoofer if I stick with 2 10's per side, and use a lower x-over frequency.
          If I am not wrong cjd said you can use the same space for the HO sub as the RS270.

Mike
          Call me "MIKE"

Comment

• cjd
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Dec 2004

You can use the HF RS265 subs ported to 17Hz in the same space as a sealed RS270. You have more excursion to play with and a more limited top end. If you're crossing at least 4th order below 300Hz the sub would be excellent.

One 12" HF RS sub fits sealed in the space of one RS270 sealed...

C
            diVine Sound - my DIY speaker designs at diVine Audio

Comment

• jkrutke
              • Dec 2005

Hello,
              I'm using the RS270 in a design. Have no fear using Dayton's T/S numbers to size the enclosure, they have always been very accurate.

The RS270 has lower distortion on the low end than the RSS315HF and RSS265HF subs. If you don't need the higher output of the sub, I highly recommend the RS270. It's a beautiful, clean woofer although it does require a rather large enclosure.

Regards,
              John
              Zaph|Audio

Comment

• cjd
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Dec 2004

Yeah, RS270 is very very nice when you can give it the room it wants. Number one problem I think most speakers have is undersizing enclosure for "AF" reasons.

Good to see you around still John

Comment

• jkrutke
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by cjd
                  Good to see you around still John
                  The signal to noise ratio of the internet occasionally inspires me to get off it for a week or two. Everyone should now and then, it's refreshing and productive.

Note to self: When I take a picture of my RS270 project, be sure to include my feet in it. :B

I've actually been working on this RS270 project for a year and a half. (on and off) It's a 6 driver system. A little smaller than Kingpin's project, but no less ambitious. It may come to fruition soon... maybe this year some time.
                  Zaph|Audio

Comment

• cjd
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Dec 2004

6 drivers eh? One more than I have. Guess I'd better get moving!

And, it's the socks we care about. :lol:

Comment

• Black300zx
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jkrutke
                      Hello,
                      I'm using the RS270 in a design. Have no fear using Dayton's T/S numbers to size the enclosure, they have always been very accurate.
                      It's not the T/S parameters I'm worried about, it's what WinISD does with them that I'm worried about. I've seen it do some weird stuff with some drivers. Regardless, does 1.7 cubes sound about right for the RS270?

Comment

• cjd
                        Ultra Senior Member
                        • Dec 2004

off the top of my head, 1.7cu/ft sounds about right. Think it was discussed in the WWMTM thread.

Comment

• ---k---
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Nov 2005

Lots of people around here prefer Unibox over WinISD. Got Excel?
                          - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                          CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                          CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• kgveteran
                            • Oct 2005

How 'bout a RS center with two 10's instead of the 225's ? I think the xo point is about 400hz.
                            Here is my LCR "Trio". Way to go guys !

Comment

• cjd
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Dec 2004

I'd like to add a horizontal version of the WWMTM but someone has to build it and measure.

C

Comment

• WillyD
                                • Feb 2006

Originally posted by cjd
                                I'd like to add a horizontal version of the WWMTM but someone has to build it and measure.

C
                                When KG said 'Why not the 10s instead of the 225s" I immediate thought of a pair of RS180s for the mid, then I remembered that it'd basically be your speaker. :T

Comment

• Black300zx
                                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ---k---
                                  Lots of people around here prefer Unibox over WinISD. Got Excel?
                                  Yea - I've been meaning to download unibox

Comment

• kingpin
                                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by kgveteran
                                    How 'bout a RS center with two 10's instead of the 225's ? I think the xo point is about 400hz.

Damn it, you guys.
                                    I need more overtime to afford this new hobby. :W

Mike
                                    Call me "MIKE"

Comment

• Paul Ebert
                                      • May 2004

Originally posted by jkrutke
                                      The RS270 has lower distortion on the low end than the RSS315HF and RSS265HF subs. If you don't need the higher output of the sub, I highly recommend the RS270. It's a beautiful, clean woofer although it does require a rather large enclosure.
                                      Sorry if this is a thread hijack, but I'm building a SWWMT and I was planning on using the RSS315HF as the sub. The 'WW' would be a pair of RS180s, the 'M' a RS52 and the 'T' a D26NC55 (sound familiar ). I had planned the sub to be in a separate box with both boxes sealed and an LT on the sub as needed. The target crossover to the sub was 80 - 100 hz.

This would be a music only system in a moderate sized living room. I don't play the music loud, but I am hoping for a full range system.

So, should I reconsider and use the RS270?

What about the RSS390HF? Should I consider that over the RSS315 or RS270?

Thanks!

Comment

• joecarrow
                                        • Apr 2005

how large of a box can you live with? If you don't play too loudly, the RS52 can play down to 600 hz, and the RS270 can play that high. If you wanted, you could do a three-way with two RS270s, an RS52, and the tweeter.

If you want to target shallower slopes, something closer to LR2, then the RS270 to RS180 to RS52 to tweeter could be a winning combination.... but a HECK of a thing to implement passively.

Your original question comes down to box size. The RS270 needs a large box to work well, and it takes two RS270s to match the output of the RSS265, and four to equal the output of the RS315.
                                        -Joe Carrow

Comment

Working...
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"