X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bluewizard
    • Mar 2008

Dayton Reference Based Tapered Tower 4-way

I've been trying to find some photos or plans to this speaker. Does anyone recognize this Dayton-based speaker design?

It seems to be comprised of a 12" Dayton Reference Sub-woofer, 8" Reference bass/mid, 2" Reference Mid, and one of Dayton's Dome Tweeters.

The cabinets seems to be a tapering tower with an additional cabinet flair at bottom where the sub-woofer is. The cabinet clearly tapers along the sides, but in the first video there are hints that it might taper front to back as well, that is a section of the front panel leans back. This is most evident if you freeze the first video where he is reviewing the woofer.

Here are some review videos to give you a clue as to the cabinet design.

Dayton 12" Sub-Woofer-

Dayton 8" Bass -

Dayton 2: Mid -

The reviews themselves are fairly shallow with a few mistakes, and I question why he would build everything out of 4 ohm components especially when using a built-in passive sub (assumed). And, the further purpose of posting the links to the videos is to give better views of the cabinet.

My main concern is for the tapered tower design, and whether this is something he threw together himself, or if it is an existing design he copied?

I've seen several tapered tower designs, but again, I'm wondering if this person made up this design, or whether he copied if from somewhere. If it look familiar to you, let me know.

Thanks.

Steve/bluewizard
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Contacting the 'reviewer' might be your best bet. I've never seen that particular design...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Hdale85
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Interesting looking I suppose.

Comment

• bluewizard
        • Mar 2008

I considered contacting this person, and ultimately that is probably the only way I'll get an answer, but I was just hoping someone would recognize this design, so I could find it without joining ExpoTV. Since ExpoTV is a site promoting commercial products, I expect my Inbox to be flooded with advertising.

Still, if I really want to know, it may be my only choice.

As an odd and unrelated (who cares) sort of note. I wonder who conceived this site? I can see YouTube, but this site seems to be full of people reviewing products that for the most part they know nothing about. Or, they are promoting things they have bought in a sort of 'hey, look at my cool new toy' way. Of course, if you spent big bucks on some gizmo product, you are either going to be thrilled with it, or you are going to have to admit you were royally fornicated. No one likes to admit that.

Still, it was just a thought. I tried a couple other Audio forums with equal luck. It could very well be the kid bought the speakers, got the idea and said, 'hey, this looks cool', and went ahead with it. I still question the wisdom of building it out of all 4-ohm components though. I'd also like to know where he got his crossovers.

So, I guess in the end, the best way is to ask him.

Steve/bluewizard

Comment

• Jed
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by bluewizard
          The reviews themselves are fairly shallow with a few mistakes,
          That design looks flawed in a few ways, but let me share my favorite line from the review...."I recommend the Dayton RS52 2" dome woofer." :rofl:

If you are wondering what the flaws are, just look at how far away the tweeter is from the RS52, and if he's crossing at 3.5k like he says he is, then that's :roll:

Comment

• Hdale85
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

Yeah I heard that as well Jed, also the way he said "impedance" kind of caught my attention. I need to get me some 2" woofers.

Comment

• Undefinition
              • Dec 2006

Originally posted by bluewizard
              As an odd and unrelated (who cares) sort of note. I wonder who conceived this site? I can see YouTube, but this site seems to be full of people reviewing products that for the most part they know nothing about. Or, they are promoting things they have bought in a sort of 'hey, look at my cool new toy' way.
              Just when YouTube made it look like the Internet had hit critical mass, then there's this complete waste of bandwidth. As if some kid playing drums along with Green Day in his bedroom wasn't enough, now he's reviewing the satellite speakers that came with his computer?
              Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
              Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• Mazeroth
                • Nov 2004

I think this young gentleman is extremely knowledgeable in his reviews and even branches out from your typical, boring speaker review.

Here, see what I mean:

Talk about a quality review. :P

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"