X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

SECRET WINDOW coulda been a contender

This film is based on Stephen King's novella Secret Window, Secret Garden. I don't know how closely the script follows the novella because I have never been that great a Stephen King fan. It stars Johnny Depp as a recently divorced writer and John Turtorro as a deranged stranger who claims Depp stole one of his stories.

This is a supposedly suspense thriller that started out with a premise with potential and ended up as a let down. Once a few cute little clues show up, the ending becomes predictable, and what could been a contender ends up being just another potboiler, made barely watchable by performances from Depp and Turtorro.

Warning: drink plenty of coffe or coke to keep you awake. The pace is painful at times.

:2:
    My Homepage!
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Just finished watching the movie George and I even thought it was worse than even you did. About 25 minutes into the show, I pretty much knew where the plot was leading. While Depp's mannerisms worked really well in Pirates, I thought they seemed overdone here. Glass's score is too over dramatic. Perhaps, if somebody hadn't seen all the films it borrows from, it might seem good. Ironic isn't it that a film on the premise of plagerism does so itself on more than one count.

Of course, this is only my opinion and I'm sure a lot of people hate some of the movies I love, but I think Alfred Hitchcock would cringe.
    Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I think Alfred Hitchcock would cringe...

Couldn't agree more, Keith. I also think that Depp was trying a little too hard here in the " mannerisms" department. Maybe he thought it would help the crumby script. Unfortunately it didn't.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• NMyTree
        • May 2004

I read this story way back.....when the book was released.

I watched the movie about a week and a half ago.

The best I can say about this movie is, I was really happy when some of the really annoying characters in this movie, were killed. Man, they were annoying.

Does that make me a bad person? :B
        Tony

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Does that make me a bad person ?

Naw, all those people deserved killing except for the poor dog. And Depp's character shoulda got caught. That would have been a little more satisfying, but honestly, the whole thing was a big let down.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• David Meek
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

Spoiler tags guys, spoiler tags!

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Yeah, sorry about that. Guess there maybe some people who will want to see this and be peed off that I am giving things away. But I haven't given the most important ( though stupid) plot point away.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• NMyTree
                • May 2004

Sorry, I was trying to be vague so as no to give anything away.

How do I use the Spoiler Tags? Where do I find it or utilize it?
                Tony

Comment

• David Meek
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2000

It's fairly easy. Just type the following:

[ spoiler ]Your text.[ /spoiler ]

I had to put spaces between the brackets and the word "spoiler" so that it would show up as text. Here's what it looks like when I removed the spaces and the tags are working.

Your text.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Bam!
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jan 2004

forget this post....my bad! ops:
                    Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Just watched it last night off a PVR'd HD recording.

The PQ was pretty good even for HD I thought but I pretty much agree with the rest of the comments. I will say that while a little overdone at times, Depp's performance had the script trying (and failing) to play keep-up. It was pretty formulaic Stephen King and I pretty much had it figured out by about 5 seconds after Shooter showed up...

Not a horrible movie... but not good either. 2.5 stars out of 5
                      Jason

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"