X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

MONSTER is aptly named

This serial killer, Aileen Wuornos, really was a monster. But we find out what really made her that way and then you find yourself looking at her as a human being, warped though she may be, but a human being just the same. We watch her go from the first killing ( there's a question as to who the real victim is here) to a point where she just goes totally out of control . This isn't a pretty movie. In fact I wouldn't care to see it again. I rented it because both my wife and I wanted to see how Charlize Theron handled the role of Wuornos. And all I can say is WOW. Totally dynamic. Gone is Charlize's svelte-like model's figure, and gone is the porcelain- like complexion. You believe you are looking at the real Wuornos.

There is some question as to the authenticity of the screenplay. In reality, Wuornos claimed the first killing was the result of her being beaten and raped, but she later said this was untrue. Did she change her story to hasten her execution ? I also read somewhere that Wuornos's lesbian friend wasn't anything like the one portrayed in the film.

Not for everyone, but worth a watch just to see Charlize Theron's transformation and acting ability. Pure dynamite.
    My Homepage!
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

I also throught Christina Ricci performed excellently. I know Charlize Theron put on thirty pounds for the role. Did you notice how the skin on her face was so rough? Apparently, when Wuornos was a young child, she and her brother did something which resulted in a severe burning of her face. Everything was so good about Theron in the film, but tell me she didn't look like the real Wuornos, seen here. It's eerie.

Keith

Comment

• Dr C
      • Feb 2003

I thought this was an outstanding movie showcasing Charlize Theron's excellent acting skills. She was utterly believable as the "Monster" and one could empathise her reasoning as to why she had to kill so many men.

The empathy could have arisen as the story was told more from her point of view. Still I couldn't understand why she held human life in such low regard especially when some of her victims were nice (if you could call guys who cruise around looking for action nice ) and especially for one good samaritan. Apologies if this is a spoiler - couldn't find the black bar thingy to wrap it around in ... how do ya do it anyway ?

That she was betrayed by Christina Ricci's character cut deep (was it right for the police to wire tap the line even though she mentioned that they could be listening ?). However I felt that not enough was shown of the post betrayal - how did Christina Ricci's character deal with this ?

Nevertheless - it's a good film and showcases the exceptional talent of Ms Theron (didn't she get an oscar for this ?).

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

didn't she win an oscar for this ?

Yep, and certainly well deserved.

Amazing how fast she took off those extra pounds when we saw her at the Oscars. She looked great.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I'm not sure what I feel about this film. There were so many things that were going on here. To think/know that we as humans could do this and worst to each other, is very depressing.
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Wasn't exactly a fun film as it, John. As I said earlier, I wouldn't want to watch it a second time.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• John Holmes
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2000

You know George, I think that I'm having trouble processing the movie vs the real life motives and mental stability of Wuornos. My attempts to understand how much of the film is hollywood is were I'm have the biggest issues. I think it would have been better for me, to have seen a documentary instead of a film.
              "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"