Jonatha Brooke- you *should* know who she is...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

Jonatha Brooke- you *should* know who she is...

I'm always on the lookout for interesting new music, but it's not very often I find an accomplished artist with as deep a repetoire as Jonatha Brooke, that somehow I've never stumbled across.

A friend from Missouri out here on business brought one of her early CD's "Grace in Gravity" last month, when she was in the band "The Story" and while I didn't quite wear it out that weekend, I did eventually find her web site and order several more. Now she's a solo artist, and also writing music for films (more on this to come).

Jonatha Brooke

What's she like? Well, I really wouldn't want to buttonhole her, but let me say that if you like Sarah MacLachlan, or Suzanne Vega, you'll probably really, really like Jonatha. Her extensive jazz and rock influences make her music more complex in structure than many other artists, and more varied in the techniques she uses to achieve varied emotional moods.

If you want to start off easy, I'd suggest "Plumb", released in 1995 on GRP records, and available on her web site. A very nice all around album, with excellent sonics.

In the "Story", she was partnered with Jennifer Kimball on vocals, and I really like the way their voices work together, expecially on some of the acapella cuts at the end of "Grace in Gravity".

DVD AUDIO ALERT!

For those of you looking for something to try out in the DVD-Audio arena, her most recent release, "Steady Pull", besides being out on CD, is also available in a DVD-V/DVD-A combo disk, with an 88.2kHz surround mix, and a 176kHz 24bit stereo mix! There are very few high bit rate DVD-A disks out, so I think this a bit special.

What's really surprising is that she made this DVD/CD combo herself with out any kind of record label backup!! The quality is first rate with a very clean, professional sound which, if you didn't know that this is an indie label, you would think you were listening to someone with a huge budget and a major label behind her.

Now if only there was a DVD-A player that I'd want to play it on... most of the existing hardware released, aside from the Pioneer AX10, is distinctly low res/low rent.

Earlier I mentioned film. In the new sequel to Peter Pan, "Return to Neverland", she sings "The Second Star to the Right" from the original, and wrote a song called "I'll Try" that appears twice in the movie and also as part of the end credits.

So, if you're getting a little tired of the same old stuff that the established record companies are putting out these days, try something a little fresher and more real- give Jonatha a try.

Best regards,

Jon

Earth First!
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....
  • John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

"you *should* know who she is..." :LOL:

I did check out the link and listened to all the grey colored cable/t1 samples. She does have a freash sound. My curiosty is peaked enough to give a listen at a record store to see if I am swayed to the "Dark Side!"

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"