• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Soak Up Some Italian Sunshine and Atmosphere

UNDER THE TUSCAN SUN

I read a scathing review elsewhere about this film, trashing it because it strayed too far from the book it was based on. Since I hadn't read the book, and had no preconceived notions about what to expect, I found it to be a delightful film.

It stars Diane Lane as a recently divorced book reviewer. The divorce has left her devastated in more ways that one. A girl friend convinces Diane to accept a free airline ticket to Italy. She eventually accepts the free offer, goes to Italy and after buying a Villa on a whim, ends up staying there. The rest of the film deals with her efforts to regain her self-confidence as a woman, as well as her self-esteem, which does happen as she becomes involved in the lives of her many new European friends.

This is not a tear-jerker love story so I do believe men will enjoy this as much as their female companion(s), and let's fae it, Diane Lane is pretty easy on the eyes, and a very good actress to boot.

The audio isn't anything spectacular, with the exception of a horrendous thunder and lightening storm that's a bit hair-raising, but the picture quality is a knockout, and the Italian/Tuscan scenery will leave you breathless.

Under The Tuscan Sun is a nice evening's entertainment that is not overly sentimental, and will leave you laughing at times. A wonderful change of pace from bing bam boom movies.

:4:

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I have to admit I wasn't interested in seeing this movie, even with Diane Lane. But once again George you've piqued my interest. Thanks fella.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I think you'll enjoy this one, Tex.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Bam!
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2004

Under The Tuscan Sun is a nice evening's entertainment that is not overly sentimental, and will leave you laughing at times. A wonderful change of pace from bing bam boom movies.
        ....someone called Bam! :LOL:
        :roll:

uuuh yeah ops: anyway I will also give this one a try..one of my buddied talked to me about it...personally I thought nahhh...but now I`ll say Yahhh!

I am in a weird mood what can I say :huh:

Take care!

Bam!
        Got a nice rack to show me ?

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Hey Bam... :LOL: :LOL:

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

Watched this last, night pretty much agree with what you said George :T I haven't read the book so found the story to be quite enjoyable as well and not overly mushy or girlie which is good for us estrogen challenged viewers :B

Gorgeous video and the scenery... well, if you don't want to move or at least take a vacation in Italy after watching this, either you should get your eyes checked or your display needs some serious calibration :lol:

Score was quite good and the lightning storm scared the crap out of the cat :lol: Not soundtrack demo material but quite satisfying for a dialogue based film.

Jason
            Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Good to hear you enjoyed it, Jason.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• theMaximus
                • Jul 2004

Although this is a chick flick, I must say I rather enjoyed it. The scenaries of Tuscani alone were worth the rental fee. I don't think it is worth buying though since you probably wouldn't watch it over and over.
                Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• Patt
                  • Feb 2005

George,
                  This is "one" of my favorites for sure.
                  ......Pat

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"