X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Once Upon A Time In Mexico

Johnny Depp is a hoot. Antonio is scarce. The action is wall to wall. The sound is blistering. And not enough of Salma Hayak. Nuff said.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

George, that's a fantastic summary. I agree. Really not enough Selma. Depp was all that held this film together.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

I'll keep this in point form...

Film looks good. Depp is a wicked actor. Salma, :boobies: :P :P never enough!

Rent or buy gentleman?

Need a new display? Questions about new display technologies? Visit RPTVs, plasmas, and other monitors @ HTguide
      Jason

Comment

• ht_addict
        • Dec 2002

I'll keep this in point form
        uker: Sums it up for me.

ht_addict

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

I thought it was a fun film. And did justice as the sequel to Desperado.

Depp just floors me more and more with his abilities each outing. Salma...what more needs to be said. And I think Antonio was made to play this part. The story has so many twist that one could get lost. But, the film was more or less what I expected it to be.

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Even though I was not over enthusiastic with this flick, I did buy it and will probably play it now and then. It just didn't live up to Desperado in my opinion, but okay as a popcorn muncher. Depp was really funny wasn't he. That guy is such a cool actor.

BTW, I understand that theatrically this flick was 2:35 aspect ratio while Columbia Tri-Star reframed the dvd to 1:78. I sure hope this doesn't get to be a habit.

My Homepage!
            My Homepage!

Comment

• mazuly
              • Feb 2003

Nope. Didn't like it even though Johnny Depp was really good. Too much over the top action for my taste. Liked the extras better than the movie

Thanks,
              Maziar

Comment

• JonMarsh
                Mad Max Moderator
                • Aug 2000

Interesting comments.

I also heard that this movie was shot with Sony HD cameras, not with film. Any comments on DVD quality overall?

Still, at the price Walmart is selling it for, (around $15-16) maybe an OK deal.

I loved the orignal Desperado, was one of my main test DVD's when putting together my first progressive scan HTPC for DVD- that was back when progressive scan DVD players were only a gleam in engineer's eyes.

~Jon

Earth First!
                M8ta
                Modula Neo DCC
                Modula MT XE
                Modula Xtreme
                Isiris
                Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                Minerva Monitor
                Calliope
                Ardent D

In Development...
                Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                Obi-Wan
                Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                Modula PWB
                Calliope CC Supreme
                Natalie P Ultra
                Natalie P Supreme
                Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Jon, the PQ is excellent. The only thing I found is that everyone and everything looked a tad sunburned . Must have been the filters . I'm going to go back and watch Desperado. I believe that was a tad on the red side too, if I remember correctly.

My Homepage!
                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Lex
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Apr 2001

If Antonio has his way, everyone winds up a little or a whole lot red. ;zx

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
                    Doug
                    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

A little or a whole lot dead, I think.

David - HTGuide flunky
                      Our "Theater"
                      Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

The PQ is G O R G E O U S. Those HD cameras obviously did there job well as there was no grain (duh) and everything was crystal clear with awesome COLOUR saturation an lot's of DEEP BLACKS with great shadow detail :drool: PQ = 10/10 :T

SQ was good but I was expecting "more"... Good bass and surround use with effects (bullets, knives etc), clear dialogue... not bad by any means but compared to the PQ seemes a little dull in comparison. I think my biggest beef was that it wasn't enveloping enough, especially the score. Seemed a litte "front three" heavy for the score. A good but didn't keep pace with the PQ 7.5, maybe 8/10.

As for the story, well it is what it is. Good popcorn movie. Depp as always was awesome and no we did not see enough of Salma's bare midriff :P Antonio is perfect for the role and Willem Dafoe was his usual creepy self :lol: The story will by no means alter my life but I was never bored and found myself quite entertained.

The documentaries in the extra's are :T I loved the one on using special effects tricks smartly to save time and money etc for amateurs. Better than most of the behind the scenes crap we see on most discs.

Jason
                        Jason

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"