X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sonnie Parker
    • Jan 2002

Chicago

Curious if anyone has seen this movie. A search didn't produce any results.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

BFD Comprehensive Setup Guide
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I haven't seen it as yet. The dvd is due to be released in Canada August 19th and I intend to snap it up real fast. There has been a lot of good reviews on the theatrical release, but I don't recall seeing one here. What happened, Tex ?

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
      • Jan 2002

Well I suppose I should have posted this in "At The Movies". I didn't realize it hadn't been released yet on DVD. Now I see it's release date is 8/19/03.

I've seen a lot of good reviews about it on TV as well. I'm having a hard time picturing Richard Gere singing though.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I'm looking forward to watching this as well.

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Okay, ya got me. ops: This is one I didn't seen on the big screen.

Hey! A Sonnie sighting! How've you been big guy? :later:

David - HTGuide flunky
          Our "Theater"
          Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
            • Jan 2002

Thanks for asking David... been doing fabulous! Life is good! I was actually sighted last Thursday but you've been dodging TTP the last few days. lol

I'm just having DVD withdrawals. Haven't ordered a DVD in about 4-5 months... don't know what's gotten into me.

None the less, I just today ordered:

Daredevil
            Gangs of New York
            Animal House (Double Secret Edition)

Of course I've got others I want too... just waiting on releases.

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Yaaaaay, ol' Sonnie's getting back in the swing. Lots of good releases coming up, too.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Dr C
                • Feb 2003

Had the opportunity to see Chicago on stage ... and it was good. The song verses were witty and the story line interesting. Started off well but got a bit draggy at the end but still a very entertaining musical.

I was apprehensive about whether the movie version could match the stage performance ... after all who heard of Zeta-Jones / Zellweger / Gere sing !!! But they put up a credible performance and while i still prefer the "live" action of stage, the movie wasn't bad either.

IMO, Chicago as a musical is more entertaining and "natural" (it seemed natural for the cast to start singing now and then as though it was quite a normal way to speak ) than 'Molin Rouge". a must for your collection.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                  • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Sonnie Parker
                  Curious if anyone has seen this movie. A search didn't produce any results.
                  SOMEBODY out there must have seen it, it 'cuz it won the Best Picture Oscar. :>) But since you mean here... I've finally seen it. :>) I haven't seen the stage version, so my impressions are based only on the movie.

Warning: Spoilers ahead – I’m not going to cover them up. OTOH, I’m not going to fully outline the plot or give a complete cast list, either. If you want that, go to IMDB or read Roger Ebert’s review.

The characters are corrupt, gullible or morally bankrupt and objectively, what they do (murder, lie to the press, accept bribes, falsify evidence, etcetera) is reprehensible. And it is delightful. :>) Like Evita, memorable music and a bit of dancing can make almost any lowlife scum and the things they do palatable, even enjoyable in the context of the show. I really don't think any sane, reasonably mature person is going to use the characters in the story as role models. (The movie is rated PG-13 for "sexual content and dialogue, violence and thematic elements".) Within its own universe, it all ties together and makes sense. Chicago is a rough town and it seems people have to lie, cheat and steal to keep their heads above water and murder is just an entertainment, or at least the most popular subject to read about in the news.

Except for the opening and closing musical numbers which are staged in nightclubs in the “real life” world of the movie, most of the songs and dance routines take place in the imagination of Roxie Hart (the main character, played by Renée Zellweger as a sweet tart with childish charm and cunning calculation), who kills a man she had been committing adultery with, and who has a lunkhead husband who provides a pathetic sad-sack counterweight to the mirth and merriment accompanying the murders and clever subversion of the legal system to get the perps off.

While I have read quibbles about some of the singing and dancing in threads on other forums, I found all the performances to be appropriate to the characters and was not distracted by the lack of the nth degree of professional polish in, for instance, Richard Gere's singing. I think a highly trained voice would have been distracting for his character. He gave it just enough raw edge while still carrying the tune that you "knew" he was an attorney singing in Roxie's imagination, not Luciano Pavarotti in concert at Carnegie Hall.

“Chicago” is filled with rousing and memorable numbers, some of them reminding me a lot of “Cabaret”, which isn’t a big stretch since the team of Kander and Ebb wrote the music and lyrics for both shows. My favorite song was Queen Latifah’s star turn in “When You’re Good To Mamma”. She plays the matron warden in charge of the women’s death row and sings her number in Roxie’s imagination as she is being introduced to the new women prisoners for the first time. “When you’re good to Mamma, she’ll be good to you.” – IOW a bribe will get you favors like cigarettes or outside magazines, or a phone call to a lawyer.

The number, staged at a fancy club, is inter-cut with dialog at the prison contrasting the opulence of imagined night life to the drab, depressing surroundings of the prison, where “Mamma” is a lot less glamorous, although still more of a dish than I’d ever expect to see as a prison warden. But what the hey, this is a musical, not a documentary. :>) In the song, one line I keep laughing over is “They say that life is ‘tit for tat’ and that’s the way I live; I deserve a lot of ‘tat’ for what I’ve got to give.” as she leans over and her ample bosom practically falls out of her push-up bra. There’s a LOT more to enjoy – the dialog and song lyrics are quite clever, and deliciously wicked in quite few spots.

Production values are first rate. The sets and costumes evoke the period and serve the story well. The video picture on the DVD is way more than adequate, although I wouldn’t rate it as equal to the very best system-demo releases we’ve seen. The sound is top rate. I was impressed at how effectively the percussion underscored the music – even though this isn’t an action flick with a lot of explosions, you’ll want to make sure your subwoofer is on. Although I might have voted for another movie to take home the Best Picture Oscar were I an Academy member, I do not feel they made a bad choice in selecting “Chicago”. Highly Recommended.

Burke
                  Spelling and grammar checked in MS Word. If you detect an error, please notify Bill Gates.

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

I saw this one in the movie theater. Was fairly disappointed. Some good songs and decent acting. But I think this one, along with many other musicals, belongs on the stage. You lose something by bringing this onto a movie. Yeah, it's a cute story for a stage show, but as a movie I found the story to be less than robust. I'm sure I would have loved this one onstage, but I won't bother to see it again on film or buy the DVD.

Comparing this movie subjectively in my mind to movies like Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, Music Man, etc, where musicals have succeded on film, it just doesn't match up. I HIGHLY prefer Moulin Rouge to Chicago.

Just me.

CHRIS
                    Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

We watched this a few weeks ago and both quite enjoyed it for what it was. As burke mentions I too felt that the singing of the stars was good enough not to be a distraction and as he points out if they had been better it might not have seemed approp. given the context of the film. This isn't one I'll likley purchase but it was easily worth a rental.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                        • Sep 2001

Comparing this movie subjectively in my mind to movies like Sound of Music, Mary Poppins, Music Man, etc, where musicals have succeeded on film, it just doesn't match up
                        To each their own. Having seen all of the named musicals, (including seeing "The Sound of Music" and Mary Poppins" in the theater in their original theatrical runs in the 1960s) and having ALL of them in my DVD collection, at this stage (no pun intended) of my life (adulthood) I personally prefer Chicago. It worked on every level as a movie, skillfully blending the musical numbers into the context of the story (in the imagination of Roxie) instead of having the character break out into song as if it were part of daily life, which just isn't what usually happens outside of nightclubs and theaters.

So you are right -- Chicago doesn't "match up" with these older movie musicals -- it is actually much better, IMO. Chicago makes better use of the movie medium, and for me, was far more entertaining than the older musicals. (If Moulin Rouge is really that much better still, then it is truly exalted.) :>) But the great thing about movies and movies on DVDs is that we each get to choose what we like for ourselves and let others do the same. :>)

Burke
                        Spelling and grammar checked in MS Word. If you detect an error, please notify Bill Gates.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Jan 2001

I watched this last night. WOW ! Loved it. As far as I am concerned, Catherine Zeta Jones stole the movie. And Queen Latifah wasn't far behind.

Terrific music from that particular era. Really loved the opening nightclub scene. As soon as that jazz band started up, I knew I was going to be in for a treat.

Picture quality on an 8 foot screen was dynamite. So was the DTS soundtrack.

WOW WOW WOW. Hope this second installment of the musical comeback isn't the last.

My Homepage!
                          My Homepage!

Comment

• Sonnie Parker
                            • Jan 2002

Interesting! Thanks for the reviews.

We still haven't watched it. I've been waiting to get my Rotel 1066 connected.... forvever and a day it seems.

Maybe soon!

SONNIE

Cedar Creek Cinema

DVD Collection

Comment

• Lex
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Apr 2001

Finally got to this film tonight. It was zainy, witty, creative, and curious all at the same time. Rene really did a fantastic job with her part, as did Catherine Zeta IMO. She was the perfect villoness and hot. Richard Gere seemed to have fun with his part, and did a great job.

I'm not usually to much the musical type, but for the most part, I stayed entertained here and had a good time watching the film. Excellent picture and audio quality round out a fun DVD.

Lex
                              Doug
                              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Gordon Moore
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Feb 2002

I got around to viewing this the other night and I say it was an enjoyable 113 mins. I 've never seen the stage version but I thought they translated this well. Only one joke didn't fly in my opinion that you could see working better on the stage because the film "spelled out" the details visually.

That said, casting was near perfect, except for Renee Zellweger. I didn't "buy" her in the role of Roxie and really wished they had chosen someone else. She just didn't fit the character they portrayed.

Cell Block Tango was without a doubt my favorite song.

There was some pretty witty, rapid fire humour in this, sometimes hitting you a few seconds after it's passed.

It was a great effort and look forward to future adaptations. Interesting note. There doesn't seem to be too many stars today that have the talent of say:

Gene Kelly, Bing Crosby, Frank Sintra, Gregory Hines...and others. I'm basing that on the fact that, even though Gere's singing suprised me....his dancing didn't (it was okay...but I've watched more creative tap dancing than that) and it makes me wonder why they didn't find a more rounded actor? I guess the name party sells the movie so they settled to a degree. I suppose I'm being a little picky, since these kind of movie/musicals aren't done all that much anymore. It's probably much harder to find that type of actor that has a full repetoire these days and can carry and sell a movie like that.

All that said...Chicago is Highly Recommended

"A RONSTER!"
                                Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Jan 2001

Interesting comments, Gordon. I can name one fellow, a top notch actor who can dance, who would have been great in the Gere role: his name is Christopher Walken. But, as you mentioned, there aren't many actors around now who can fit the drama/musical mould. It's interesting also to note who had natural musical talent in this film; Catherine and The Queen shone brightly above the others.

My Homepage!
                                  My Homepage!

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2000

Walken can dance? There's something I never knew about him!

I don't think its really fair to judge these modern actors against the earlier actors that did the musicals before. They were hired becasue they could sing and dance well since those were the tallents needed for the movies they were making at the time. In todays market actors are picked due to other tallents that may or may not have been needed back then. There are very likely current actors that do have the training to do these dance numbers justice but without the name reconition Chicago may not have done well at all given the type of film it is (unfortunatly)

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                      • Sep 2001

Originally posted by Andrew Pratt
                                      Walken can dance? There's something I never knew about him!
                                      Yep. He's a "hoofer" from way back. Although most widely known for his versatility in character roles in movies, he took tap dancing lessons as a kid and got his first showbiz exposure dancing on TV. Chris Walken Bio. He starred in one of the top music videos of all time, Fatboy Slim's "Weapon of Choice" Walken Weapon of Choice Video

Burke

PS -- even though Walken could dance circles around Gere, I still think Gere was "right" for the role in Chicago.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                                        Moderator Emeritus
                                        • Jan 2001

Yeah, Burke, I've seen that video several times. Just amazing to watch Walken strut his stuff.

My Homepage!
                                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Nick M
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Nov 2004

Finally rented this.

Definetly enjoyable and well made. I thought evryone did a fantastic job, especially Queen Latifah and John Reilly. Lucy Liu was a great suprise.

A did find myself bored during a couple of the songs. The press release and momma tunes were phenomenal though. Not sure this should have deserved Best Picture, I personally enjoyed films like The Two Towers, Gangs of New York, and About Schmidt much better. I Still plan on buying this, as it was a great movie.

A solid :35: out of :5: (more like 3.75)
                                          ~Nick

Comment

• Patt
                                            • Feb 2005

Chicago,

If there was ever a slow spot during the movie someone would without fail
                                            break out singing and liven things back up again.
                                            My favorite part was near the end when they worked together on stage.

......Great...Great....Great
                                            ......Pat

Comment

Working...
                                            Searching...Please wait.
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                            Search Result for "|||"