X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

The Equalizer

Actually watched it via Netflix streaming (in Canada, Netflix only streams). My PJ makes the HD Netflix stream look better than broadcast cable, if not quite as good as BD discs (in the aggregate). Sound is only Dolby Digital, not lossless, but my gear makes the most of it.

The movie was solid, if unspectacular. Denzel sells the role (based on the old TV show). Reminiscent, in tone, of 70s films with "one man takes down the mob" stories, it does the job if you're in the mood for such a story. The Boston setting is authentic (I grew up just outside of Boston and spent much time there in the 70s and 80s), though a few of the actors in minor roles were not quite at home with the accent.

I wouldn't recommend a purchase unless it is cheaply available and/or you're a hardcore Denzel fan, but it is worth catching as a rental/streaming title. It is a touch long, clocking in at 2:15 or so, and could likely have trimmed 10 or so minutes without killing the film (in short snippets across the board).
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Edited: Tired of being such a crotchety, cynical old bastard. LOL

Didn't even know it existed. I liked the TV show, and thought Edward Woodward did a great job in the role. I'm not sure I'm up to the transition from Mr. Woodward to Denzel. Maybe I'm just weary from the constant recycling in Hollywood.
    Last edited by Alaric; 10 June 2018, 19:05 Sunday.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I didn't watch the show, so the change from one actor to another did not really affect my opinion of the film. It's a film that doesn't stand out--entertaining as you watch it, likely not very memorable a few hours later.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"