X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cinema bob
    • Apr 2005

ROKU Netflix box

Anyone Else getting one of these? I ordered mine last night and am pretty stoked. Seems like it will really complement the AppleTV.

Click to viewNetflix's first streaming box is finally here and it's pretty damn brilliant of a setup. First of all, the box is 99 bucks, and designed by Roku. It's fanless and quiet; has HDMI and optical outputs; and is about the size of five CD cases stacked together. Any Netflix disc mailing plan over $9 gets you…
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Great link Bob, think I'll borrow/steal it for my VOD thread :T
    Jason

Comment

• jhw59
      • Mar 2008

no HD , no interest.

Comment

• Hdale85
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2006

hmm..... no HD yet though

Comment

• cinema bob
          • Apr 2005

It is future compatible HD via the HDMI. It will be added as will surround sound, via firmware update. Its DVD quality and only $99. I already had netflix and this was a no brainer as my home 'puter is a Mac and the DRM solution hasn't been worked out.

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

I'd be open to it, but have some limitations that just don't make it something I can use for my personal needs. The biggest one is that all internet access that is available to me at my house has total usage limits. Regardless of what "package" you choose from the internet provider, you're given a corresponding GB usage per month. If you exceed it, you're charged out the wazoo. So even if a product was offered that could give top quality PQ and AQ, and I had the bandwith for it, I couldn't use it more than just once or twice per month maybe, given the huge size of movie downloads.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Oct 2007

Excellent point Chris I hadn't thought of that. I have actually topped my 50GB limit a couple times and been charged out the "wazoo".

And as far as calling the thing DVD quality... the reveiwer said he wasn't impressed with the PQ at all.

Perhaps a good step in the right direction though.
              -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Wow that sucks Chris! I couldn't live with a bandwidth cap.

Comment

• impala454
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2007

pretty sure most ISPs have one. its just not a common thing to exceed the cap.
                  -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2006

I've lived in 3 different states in the last 7 or so years and have always had highspeed and never had a cap. I currently have a 15Mbit connection and download like 150+gb's a month.

Comment

• impala454
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2007

maybe you just had a higher cap

which ISPs did you use?
                      -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2006

Right now I'm using Cavalier. I've had Comcast, Verizon, Bellsouth, COX I can't remember the phone company in AZ but I had them too

Comment

• impala454
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Oct 2007

Well I can't speak for all of those but I did have Cox cable in Lubbock, and we were capped at 50GB. They shut us off and I called and they said we'd hit the cap and we had an extra $10 charge or something. I haven't hit the cap with Comcast here in Houston but their cap is around 90GB. rumored to be somewhat lenient, but it's not hard to find stories of people getting shut off.

Not to be nosy, and feel free not to share, but what the heck are you downloading for 150GB/month!?!?
                          -Chuck

Comment

• Hdale85
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2006

Meh decided I shouldn't even say what I was thinking... But mostly backup stuff for movies and what not. Some games and stuff.

Comment

• impala454
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2007

Some brown chicken brown cow? :rofl:

haha just messin with ya man!
                              -Chuck

Comment

• PewterTA
                                • Nov 2004

How'd you get a 15Mb connection? They told me the limit was 8Mb for Pittsburgh?!!? I've tried most of the zipcodes around here too and they don't go over the $50/month 8Mb service...?!

Which is more than I pay for Comcast. So I didn't switch to them.

But the Roku sounds like it's in the right direction. I just don't like that the quality is sub-DVD (close, but not quite DVD) and since I'm all HD, hopefully some day that will transfer over to that. Course I get enough free HD movies from Comcast, doesn't make it really worth it anyways.
                                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                -Dan

Comment

• maseline_98
                                  • Apr 2005

In general, I think it is a good idea, but not quite ready for mainstream. No HD(sub dvd PQ). What's the SQ like? What are the benefits? Movies are put in your queue and you have them usually the next day or almost always the day after...

Sony kds-60a2000\Panasonic BD-55k\XBOX 360 Premium(20gig)Slingbox\Xbox(flashed) running XBMC
                                  Emotiva UMC-1\Emotiva XPA-5\Klipsch (2)RF-7s with DeanG xover upgrade, RC-7 with DeanG xover upgrade, (2)RS-7s\SVS 20-39PC+

Comment

• Hdale85
                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Jan 2006

Cavalier is the company Dan, they have connection speeds up to 15Mb. At my old apartment I was across the street from the hub so I got the max all the time. Here I get about 12Mb consistent my download rate is usually about 1.3MB/s. Upload rates aren't much better though I get about 100KB/s upload speeds which I think is about 864k. I pay like 50 bucks a month for unlimited phone and internet right now.

Comment

• cinema bob
                                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by maseline_98
                                      What's the SQ like?
                                      one thing i will be checking out. It is only stereo now.

What are the benefits? Movies are put in your queue and you have them usually the next day or almost always the day after...
                                      yeah and you still get that but you also get to watch as many on demand movies as you want for no extra charge. This is perfect for my wife and I as we watch tons of TV shows (many of them are available for instant viewing) and quite a few older films. IDK b&w grainy movies from the 30's-50's I think i can live with DVD or sub DVD quality on those. Anything new that i really want the max PQ and SQ i will get in disk form from netflix.

Also as far as the Bandwidth issues go I get around 4mb real world download speeds and have no cap. WOOT!

Comment

• H.T.C
                                        • Nov 2003

Originally posted by cinema bob
                                        one thing i will be checking out. It is only stereo now.

yeah and you still get that but you also get to watch as many on demand movies as you want for no extra charge. This is perfect for my wife and I as we watch tons of TV shows (many of them are available for instant viewing) and quite a few older films. IDK b&w grainy movies from the 30's-50's I think i can live with DVD or sub DVD quality on those. Anything new that i really want the max PQ and SQ i will get in disk form from netflix.

Also as far as the Bandwidth issues go I get around 4mb real world download speeds and have no cap. WOOT!
                                        How is the netflix console working i was thinking about purchasing the unit myself but was not sure because of the gaming or bd-version coming to market.
                                        Robert

Comment

• aud19
                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2003

Jason

Comment

• impala454
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Oct 2007

Looks like that Anthony Wood guy had quite the payday...
                                            -Chuck

Comment

• H.T.C
                                              • Nov 2003

Now,if sony just made a blu-ray disc player that had internet access (browser not gaming) and the netflix movie ability they may sell a few players or no blu-ray player with it just being the internet and netflix watch instantly version.
                                              Robert

Comment

• aud19
                                                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by H.T.C
                                                Now,if sony just made a blu-ray disc player that had internet access (browser not gaming) and the netflix movie ability they may sell a few players or no blu-ray player with it just being the internet and netflix watch instantly version.
                                                If you read in that article it looks like LG is planning on releasing their BD/combo Netflix VOD player later this year.

LG Electronics is expected to include the streaming capability in a Blu-ray DVD player that it plans to debut during the second half of this year.
                                                Jason

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Jan 2006

I don't know that I'd buy an LG BD player...

Comment

• Chris D
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Dec 2000

Actually, the PS3 has an internet browser, too. I've surfed the Guide on it more than once. I assume, though, that you want those features, but specifically want it NOT to have gaming capability, too?
                                                    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• cinema bob
                                                      • Apr 2005

Originally posted by H.T.C
                                                      How is the netflix console working?

Working great! It is very easy to use intuitive and despite what the photos look like very well made.
                                                      I took some of my own pics as i was opening it for a little mini review.

this is the contents of the box, it had the unit and the remote and a kinda poster/manual to get started.

and the cables, powersupply (wall wart :cry batteries for the remote, and the warranty etc.

the remote itself is nice and sturdy it is IR and looks very nice. I haven't yet got around to trying to make my Philips URC "learn" it.

One of my concerns from the "promo" pics was that the unit would be cheap and ugly, but it is made from two contrasting looks of plastic. A glossy part that wraps around the unit and a matte type on the top and bottom. The purple over the roku name is just a piece of protective plastic, it peals right off.

a comparison shot with a DVD on top to show size.

The "good bit". the inputs, they are of standard consumer quality kinda like you would find on a DVD player at wal-mart. That said I think that they will definitely stand up to most careful setup and teardown.

I hooked the unit up through my Onkyo receiver via the stereo RCA and Component Video wires, I am projecting via Viewsonic 720p projector onto a 100" diagonal homemade screen.

The unit is capable of outputting 4 levels of video quality depending on your connection speed and the resolution tops out at 480p. One very cool feature of the unit is the load screen tells you what level you are connecting on via a 4 dot system. I should be able to connect at 4 stars every time but the norm was 3 stars. I say was because I am upgrading to 8Mbit Internet specifically because of this little box.
                                                      I was able to test out all of the levels by downloading files on my computer while watching movies. The Tiers are quite dramatic. The four tier was infact IMO and contrary to many online reviews almost as good as DVD there is a softness to the ROKU but it is not bad at all. The three star tier is not as good but it is still very, very watchable. Some mosquito noise around fast moving objects and more of the softness. Tier Two is not good, It has many compression artifacts and lots of mosquito noise. Tier one is almost unwatchable its like watching a Youtube video over AppleTV.

One very interesting thing is that I noticed no change in audio over the various tiers. It has compression but it really is pretty darn good, for stereo.

IDK I think I covered every thing, If you have any questions let me know.

I love it and highly recommend it to anyone with a netflix account.
                                                      Last edited by cinema bob; 03 June 2008, 11:57 Tuesday.

Comment

• cinema bob
                                                        • Apr 2005

Oh also wanted to add two things: one, I am connecting via the ethernet cable, and two Roku says that the unit can be upgraded via firmware update to 1080p and 7.1 surround but chose not to include them at this time as netflix doesn't offer that option. The HD/Highres audio would of course require more band width as well.

Comment

• jhw59
                                                          • Mar 2008

Thanks for the piks. I was somewhat flippant above but this is an interesting device.

Comment

• H.T.C
                                                            • Nov 2003

Originally posted by Chris D
                                                            Actually, the PS3 has an internet browser, too. I've surfed the Guide on it more than once. I assume, though, that you want those features, but specifically want it NOT to have gaming capability, too?
                                                            Yes,thats it,non-gaming but browser capable.
                                                            Robert

Comment

• H.T.C
                                                              • Nov 2003

Originally posted by aud19
                                                              If you read in that article it looks like LG is planning on releasing their BD/combo Netflix VOD player later this year.
                                                              I did read it and i am not against buying a lg (goldstar) player but since sony made the ps3 the possibility of them making a internet capable device (non-gaming) with the netflix movie service could exist sooner.
                                                              Robert

Comment

• H.T.C
                                                                • Nov 2003

Thanks as well,now its trying to decide which one? roku or wait until the manufactures come out with more selections.
                                                                Robert

Comment

• cinema bob
                                                                  • Apr 2005

OK I now have upgraded to the 8MBit internet and get the 4 stars every time no matter what i am doing on computers. I have actually noticed a slight improvement in the audio now that I have had a chance to really test it out.

I don't know if i am still in honeymoon on this or no, but i can tell you I am still in love with it. My instant que is now over 200 titles so there is no shortage of stuff to watch.

Comment

• Hdale85
                                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                                    • Jan 2006

Your only streaming DVD quality shouldn't take much bandwidth to do that. Kind of worries me.... When I had 6Mbit internet I could stream 720p video off the net. I hope they work out some optimizations? Do you think the video looks like DivX? or Xvid? I hope not.

Comment

• cinema bob
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Apr 2005

sorry I don't really have a frame of referance for Divx or xvid on a screen larger than my computer monitor. I will say that in the 4 star area i notice none of the compression artifacts that i have noticed on my 'puter, but rather a "softness" not like its out of focus but more like a softening filter was put on it. It is, to me anyway, not that bad.

Comment

• Tom Caines
                                                                        Junior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2000

Question: Can the Roku device feed a signal to two or even three displays at the same time?

Display #1 - Component video / opitcal audio (Home Theater)

Display #2 - HDMI to Dell 32" TV/Computer Monitor

Display #3 - S-Video and / Stereo audio (Basic TV in Home Gym)

Display #4 - Composite video / Stereo audio (Basic TV in another room)

I'm looking to feed various NetFlix movies to different location in the house (not at the same time) without having to change cables
                                                                        Tom Caines

Display: TC-P50ST30-50-Inch Plasma
                                                                        Receiver: Rotel RSX-1056
                                                                        DVD: Sony BDP-S580 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
                                                                        Phono Preamp: Rotel RQ-970BX
                                                                        Speakers: Vandersteen: (4) 1C's, (1) VCC-1
                                                                        Subwoofer: SVS 20-39PC-Plus
                                                                        Additional Sub: Aura Shakers (2) Bolted under sofa
                                                                        Speaker Cable: KimberKable PB4
                                                                        Interconnects: Monster, Better Cable, Radio Shack Gold
                                                                        Toslink: Cables To Go SonicWave Glass
                                                                        Remote Control: Radio Shack 15-1995 Custom Programmed
                                                                        Rack: Salamander Archetype A5

Comment

• cinema bob
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Apr 2005

I doubt it, I will see if it works tonight if i remember. I do know that you can have several ROKU on one Netflix account.

Comment

• Tom Caines
                                                                            Junior Member
                                                                            • Sep 2000
                                                                            • 20

The answer is yes. Here is a post from Roku Forums:

Find out how to make the most of Roku Community support and learn about the best ways to get your questions answered on our thriving forum with these FAQs.
                                                                            Tom Caines

Display: TC-P50ST30-50-Inch Plasma
                                                                            Receiver: Rotel RSX-1056
                                                                            DVD: Sony BDP-S580 3D Blu-ray Disc Player
                                                                            Phono Preamp: Rotel RQ-970BX
                                                                            Speakers: Vandersteen: (4) 1C's, (1) VCC-1
                                                                            Subwoofer: SVS 20-39PC-Plus
                                                                            Additional Sub: Aura Shakers (2) Bolted under sofa
                                                                            Speaker Cable: KimberKable PB4
                                                                            Interconnects: Monster, Better Cable, Radio Shack Gold
                                                                            Toslink: Cables To Go SonicWave Glass
                                                                            Remote Control: Radio Shack 15-1995 Custom Programmed
                                                                            Rack: Salamander Archetype A5

Comment

• Blindamood
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Sep 2003
                                                                              • 899

#39
                                                                              I just found out about the Roku, and went ahead and ordered one yesterday. Already had Netflix and an 8MB DSL line, so for a one-time fee of $99, I couldn't resist.

We recently moved into a condo building that only gets limited DirecTV service (shares one dish on the roof), so the channel selection is not great. Although the Netflix options are also pretty limited at this point, there are some television shows and a few movies that I've wanted to check out. Will be setting up in the bedroom system, which is more readily accessible for setup, just in case I change my mind during the 30-day trial period.
                                                                              Brad

Comment

• Blindamood
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Sep 2003
                                                                                • 899

#40
                                                                                Well, this tiny little black box is pretty cool. Received it today, and had it hooked up and working within 20 minutes. The hardest part was just getting the WPA code right for my wireless connection, but now it works fine. Picture quality is definitely not high-def (as already stated), but not too bad. Next step is to program my Harmony remote so that the wife can use it.
                                                                                Brad

Comment

Working...
                                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                Search Result for "|||"