X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

What is there ABOUT SCHMIDT ?

This is a story about a man who has to retire. And shortly thereafter his life seems to come apart at the seams. Then Schmidt undertakes a journey, and it is during this journey that we ( and Scmidt) learn something ABOUT SCMIDT.

This is a brilliant character study, done to perfection by Jack Nicholson. The film covers the full gamut of emotions, but there is much laughter, especially during one scene where Nicholson has to sleep on a waterbed. It's hilarious. An excellent comedy/drama with very nice picture quality.

:45:

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • Dean McManis
    Moderator Emeritus
    • May 2003

My wife loved the movie when she saw it, and I have it on my rental list to watch.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

I'm sure you'll like it, Dean.

My Homepage!
      My Homepage!

Comment

• Dean McManis
        Moderator Emeritus
        • May 2003

Well, for me the movie had a bit of a slow depressing pace, similar to The Good Girl, Clockwatchers, or The Straight Story (but without it's uplifting moments).

I wanted to slap Warren (Jack) in the face and wake him up from the lifetime of sleepwalking.

It was a film of painful reflection on his life, too little, too late. And now nearly over.

As much as this all sounds negative, I'm glad that I saw About Schmidt, but I'm not likely to want see the movie again anytime soon.

I thought that the letters to Ndugu were wonderful. A funny and a great perspective on Warren (Jack's) character, and his lack of understanding of the world outside of himself.

Even though it seems like most people loved Jack in this role, I kept thinking of other actors that would have been closer to the mark of the character, like J.T. Walsh (not alive though), or maybe John Mahoney.
        But I do understand that without the star-pull of Nicholson cast in the movie, it probably would not have been made.

Still, it seemed to me that Jack was working throughout the movie at not being "Jack" by acting dull, gutless, and empty.

The movie was successful in getting me to think about life choices (or the lack of them ) defining your destiny. And because of that, and a few really great little moments in the film, I did like it.

-Dean.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

I guess I liked Nicholson in this role because he wasn't playing Jack Nicholson. You're right, though, Dean, it is slow going, but worth your patience in the end.

I also think this is a film for older people, like myself, who can more readily identify with Nicholson's character. But like you, this is not a film I would want to rewatch.

My Homepage!
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Danbry39
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Sep 2002

I saw it at the theaters and thought it was a very nice outing. And, I have to agree with you, George, that Nicholson really shows his range here.

One thing is for sure: I was emotionally involved from feeling the emptiness in Schmidt's life to being pissed off at the daughter to the correspondence with Ndugu. The comic relief provided by the character of the to-be son in law, the waterbed, and the memorable Kathy Bates hot tub scene were very well paced and utilized. As a matter of fact, it cement my admiration for Kathy Bates even more. Not many actresses could have or even would have attempted to pull that scene off.

Keith
            Keith

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Re: Ms. Bates.. you're absolutely right, Keith. She is quite a gutsy lady.

My Homepage!
              My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Finally watched this last night. Great movie :T Like you guys said wonderful performances and great perpective on life wasted and why you should make the days count and all that crap :lol: Seriously though, really glad Jazz and I finally watched it, highly recommended :T

Jason
                Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Jan 2001

Glad you and Jazz liked it, Jason.
                  My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"