X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

The Intern

Pretty good movie! Robert De Niro plays an aged, retired widow, that is looking for something productive to do in retirement. He answers an ad for a "senior intern program" at a startup clothing sales company. Anne Hathaway is the owner of the startup company, having built it from scratch. The company is rapidly expanding under great success under Hathaway, and she reluctantly takes De Niro as her personal intern.

This movie could easily have been done poorly, with Hathaway's character devolving into a stereotype, and the story devolving into stupid hapless events, maybe like "Meet the Fockers". But thankfully, we finally get a female executive character that's not the overly typical tough, heartless bitch that the screenwriters try wayyyyy too hard to show that she's a tough, competent leader. Hathaway does a great job giving her leadership qualities, showing she's a very hard worker, and also has a very human side. And De Niro's character does an enjoyable job integrating into the company, spreading his grandfatherly wisdom and lifelong experiences while staying humble.

Yes, there's some silly parts, like scenes related to an accidental e-mail, which ends up being more fun than silly. And a scene at the end between Hathaway and her husband gets a bit cheezy. But other than that, I thought the story was well put together, the acting was good and genuine, the editing very good, and the overall movie quite enjoyable. Well worth a watch for a heartfelt evening.

:4: out of :5:
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Glad to hear! I'm always hesitant with this sort of movie for all the reasons you outlined. Pleased to hear I can watch it without fear.

It's hard to find good date night movies, especially comedies, these days...
    Jason

Comment

• Chris D
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Dec 2000

Ah, on that note, then, I'll just warn with a light spoiler that the subject of infidelity does pop up during the film. I find that can put an awkward mood into a date night. Like, we had "Gone Girl" recommended to us for a date night, and then we find ourselves watching the story of Ben Affleck cheating on his wife. (not to mention then, them trying to kill each other and diabolical twists) That wasn't quite a happy date night story about a loving marriage, lol
      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

Seems like a movie my wife might also like. Now, to find time to watch it (or anything, really) with her.

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

6.5/10

Pretty much what you'd expect. A sappy but enjoyable date night movie. The leads are charismatic, the story heart warming if mundane.

Agreed on Hathaway's character. They were able to keep her 'strong' and with a clear identity of her company etc without turning her in to a stereotype and let her have realistic emotions etc

Not sure it needed the husband twist though.
          Jason

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

I wondered about that too, Jason, unsure whether that adds a real life, human element to the story as the heroine has things impacting her personal life, or whether that detracted from the greater story.
            CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Chris D
              I wondered about that too, Jason, unsure whether that adds a real life, human element to the story as the heroine has things impacting her personal life, or whether that detracted from the greater story.
              Yeah, I kind of flip/flopped back and forth on that. I think I settled on that the story didn't really need it. It was pretty abundantly clear that she was stretched thin between start up/mom/wife and I personally think it felt more like a cheap stunt for sympathy.

I already sympathized with her. It wasn't necessary IMO.
              Jason

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"