• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Theory of Everything

Theory of Everything 7.5/10

This one's a bit tough of a review as there's some very good and some not so good about this film IMO. Makes it hard to put a number on it. Let's get the bad out of the way...

It's a bit of a superficial look at a brilliant person and a rather conventional film. It's certainly appealing more to 'everyone' than trying to make any sort of statement or challenge viewers which is an opportunity missed IMO given the subject.

That said, both leads performances are PHENOMENAL IMO. This film hits you right in the feels so many times, over and over and over again. The amount Redmayne is able to convey with just his eyes as his characters body fails him is fantastic to watch. And I lost track of how many times I wanted to just give Jones a hug for her characters struggles. Heart aching to watch her constantly defy what would be beyond most people's limits. They were a joy too watch and made me cuddle up to my wife even closer while we were watching. Truly believable 'love' between two performers and it was a joy to watch.

Makes the otherwise fairly 'by the numbers' film a worthwhile watch just to see them IMO.

Jason
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

I might be a touch more generous in my rating (8/10) but I echo your points about the performances--it is fully worth watching for them, regardless of the somewhat pedestrian nature of the storyline. It might be me going soft as time goes by, but in the past few years, performances have increasingly outstripped any other single aspect of a film in my personal list of characteristics upon which I judge films. Plots/FX/pacing/subject matter--they're still important, but they have receded in importance. One consequence of this shift is I find myself enjoying a wider variety of films than before, though I also end up underwhelmed by some films everyone else seems to go ga-ga over (usually because it's a "spectacle"--nothing wrong with those, but the performances matter).

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

I'd go as far as saying that this film did not likely deserve the performances it got from it's leads.
      Jason

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

More and more, I think that is generally the case--good performances can make an otherwise bleh movie enjoyable. Poor performances have killed more than one otherwise good film idea.

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

I agree with a lot of what you say about this one, Jason. Several subjects here are fascinating to me--Dr. Hawking, as one of the greatest minds of the modern era, deserves a biography/story about him perhaps just for that fact alone. Couple that with his severe physical condition, and I think his life makes an interesting story by itself. Add in the love stories surrounding him, and it makes it more interesting.

I myself have a disease that is very similar to the ALS/MND of Dr. Hawking, so the story has a much greater significance to me.

But I agree completely about the acting, particularly Eddie Redmayne. After seeing him in "Les Mis", he has become one of my current favorite actors. He puts out an astounding performance in many of his works, and I very much look forward to seeing what he'll give us in the future.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• wkhanna
            Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2006

PBS has a series created by the good Dr called 'Genius' airing now.
            i watched the first episode last night & am recording the series.
            highly recommended.

link
            _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
            ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Alaric
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Jan 2006

This morning is producing all kinds of treasures for me. Thanks, Bill!
              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
              Schiit Modi 3
              Marantz CD5005
              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"