• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

"Birdman" and Theory of Everything" Review

Birdman

I really enjoyed this film that portrays what used to be the famous Birdman movie star (M. Keaton) trying to re-invent himself into a respected man of the live theater. The Ex-Birdman clearly has some psychological issues in this film as he trys to find his way. This is a star studded film with the likes of N. Watts, Emma Stone and Ed Norton.

I was VERY entertained by this film as all the characters are kooky and fun to watch. I also think that the most beautiful set of human eyes currently on this planet belong to Emma Stone and it's worth watching this film just to observe them!.

Sound and audio (DTS) on this BD are top notch and for whatever reason, it is presented in full screen 16/9 aspect ratio.

9/10 stars for a fun and engaging film! (And best picture Oscar winner) :T

The Theory of Everything

I got the feeling after watching this film that it would have been better done as a mini-series. Clocking in at 2hrs, it just feels rushed and starts off with a healthy, happy Hawkings laughing and flying along on his bicycle and before you know it, he's wheelchair bound! It moves quickly that way.

This film is light on his science and heavy on his marriage and personal life. In a nutshell, Women have needs and Hawking is quickly not able to meet those needs and his wife's eyes start to wander. I would have liked to get to know Hawking better to be honest but it really gets stuck up on his marriage more than anything else. However, I give BIG kudos to Eddie Redmayne for his role playing as Hawking! At times I thought it was really him (Hawking) I was watching he was so believable.

The musical score in this film starts off really loud and dramatic (A little over-dramatic to be honest) and it tends to over power the film. To get the vocals to cinematic levels, all is well until music starts to play and it overpowers, causing me to turn down the volume. A tad annoying. The video on this BD is somewhat washed out and I believe this was done to make it look old.

A 4 part mini-series would have been a better option for this journey so we could get to know the personal (More of HIM and not his marriage) and professional side of Steven Hawking better in my opinion.

7/10 stars for a very good movie however
    Dan Madden :T
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

I didn't like Birdman as much as many others seem to have. Just didn't do it for me, really.

Now, Theory of Everything, that was very well done. And I'm continually impressed with Eddie Redmayne. I suddenly found and appreciated him with his work in "Les Miserables", and have liked him ever since. He does an amazing job here as well. The movie really interested me, but also made me sad, as I have a form of the same disease that Dr. Hawking does. This one was a winner.

Interesting that you reviewed these two specifically, since Redmayne and Keaton went head to head for the Oscar.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

I liked "The Theory of Everything" very much but thought "Birdman" was overrated. I think it won the Oscar because it was full of film & stage insider jokes that appealed to the judges. They could nudge each other and giggle together. I can't imagine anyone will be pulling it off the shelf in 10 years time to give it a spin like many other Oscar winners.

Nigel.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

Agreed, Nigel
        CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

Agreed #2 Nigel ! Overrated. It's no Schindler's list, that's for sure!

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Watched The Theory of Everything with my wife Friday night. I knew it was based on the memoir of his ex-wife, so I expected it to be heavy on the relationship and light on the science (I highly recommend reading A Brief History of Time to get one's science fix for Hawking). Clearly a sanitized version of events, it was nonetheless a highly enjoyable film, a rare one that appealed to both my wife and me, with excellent performances from each lead (in some ways, Felicity Jones had the more difficult task--not being overwhelmed by Redmayne's performance). I hope it succeeds at doing what any decent "history" film does--imperfect as they can be--and inspires people to pursue the "topic" further (hence my book recommendation).

I'd give it 8-8.5/10.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

I bought "Brief History of Time" for classes back in the late 80's, like when I was in 8th grade. I should probably pull it out again. Maybe I have a chance now of understanding more of it.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

BIRDMAN

No, this didn't do anything for me. The acting was good, but the whole thing just didn't hit me right. And all that strolling the hallways was nothing more than an annoying waste of film. But, hey, that's just my opinion.
                My Homepage!

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                  BIRDMAN

No, this didn't do anything for me. The acting was good, but the whole thing just didn't hit me right. And all that strolling the hallways was nothing more than an annoying waste of film. But, hey, that's just my opinion.
                  Ya George, The camp on this film is really split 50/50. Some liked it.....some didn't.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Hey, Dan, you and Paul are doing a great job. Keep it up, buddy.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by madmac
                      Ya George, The camp on this film is really split 50/50. Some liked it.....some didn't.
                      That's basically what I'm seeing. Just read a glowing review on another forum for it! I guess I'm stuck watching it and finding out for myself :lol:
                      Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by aud19
                        That's basically what I'm seeing. Just read a glowing review on another forum for it! I guess I'm stuck watching it and finding out for myself :lol:
                        That's always the best way, Jason.

I felt the idea was excellent. I just didn't like the director's way of presenting it.
                        My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Hi, George! :later: Long time, no see
                          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Jan 2001

Hey, Chris. Yeah, I'm not here much but try to visit now and then just to keep up with things.
                            You were away for quite awhile there, too. Hope you are doing okay, buddy.
                            My Homepage!

Comment

• wkhanna
                              Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

I really liked Birdman.

I thought it interesting that it demeaned the movie industry, particularly the actors in movies, as essentially slimy single-cell amoeba in terms of talent when compared to their brethren of the live stage.

The way it examined human relationships in parallel with one man's attempt to justify his existence, assess his accomplishments & failures, & find some essence of dignity in his life was in some ways similar but in an opposite end of the spectrum to Boyhood, as Birdman looked at the end of life as opposed to the beginning.

The acting was just sublime, truly at a level not often seen from Hollywood.

I especially enjoyed the soundtrack.
                              Utilizing only a V spare 5-piece drum kit (played to the 9's, btw), was both gutsy, unique & worked to accentuate the films emotional flow & impact.

I have started a new thread to discuss the film as I am V interested everyone's thoughts on how you interpreted the story, especially the ending.
                              _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
                              ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• madmac
                                Moderator Emeritus
                                • Aug 2010

My thoughts exactly on this film Bill............except your thoughts were better written than mine !

Comment

• aud19
                                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2003

Watched Birdman last night...wow 8O Solid 9/10 IMO.

Beautifully shot, wonderfully acted, well written. It had so much depth in every scene from the palpable mood of the theatre to the nuanced soundtrack/effects.

Really excellent acting by the entire cast and especially Norton (though I already knew he was pretty damn fantastic).

LOVED the movie.

I want to watch it again with my wife...but I'm not sure she'd like it :lol:

Heading to Bill's thread!
                                  Jason

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"