X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Savage Grace

This stars Julianne Moore in a true story based on the real life murder of socialite Barbara Daly Baekeland, a woman who married above her social class and gave birth to a son ( who was seen as a failure in his father's eyes ),thus sowing the seeds for a future tradgedy.

This movie plods along in the early going and I had a hard time staying awake, even though I saw some of the best acting I've seen in long time, not only from Julianne but from the young actor ( Eddie Redmayne ) who portrays Tony Baekeland as a young adult. Some of the scenes are pretty shocking, especially the incest part. Homosexuality ( very taboo during the time of this film: 40's to 70's ) is also openly dealt with in this film.

I thought the film was certianly well done and expected slow going because so much detail is necessary to describe for us the kind of people the film is dealing with. I doubt if the director ( Tom Kalin ) could have edited out much more than he did as the film was only 98 minutes. But even so, I just found the early parts much too slow and downright boring. Thankfully, the second half picks up steam and from then on things move along fairly well.

I have great respect for Julianne Moore. She tends to stick her neck out in the kinds of roles she chooses, and in the case of Savage Grace, she stuck her neck out a mile. Her portrayal of Barbara is a tour de force.

A good rental for those of you who enjoy tragic true life stories with actors who can really lose themselves in their roles. Just be forwarned that the first half is painfully slow going. Other than that a :T
    My Homepage!
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

I'm a big Julianne Moore fan (oh, and I think she's a fine actress ). Will add this to the growing list.

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"