• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

"Fifty Shades of Grey" BD review

Fifty Shades of Grey

We had a rainy Canada Day here yesterday so I popped by my local video store to rent a series of films on Blu Ray. This one was one of them. I rented this one more out of curiosity than anything else because there was so much kafuffle over both the book and the movie when it came out.

Let's make no mistake that this is a chick flick. Women far and wide gobbled up the book and likely lined up for the movie as well. Sexual domination is a fantasy that many women dream about in one way or another. This movie kinda' reminded me of the 80's film 9 1/2 weeks except it is nowhere near as good. There's a serious problem with this movie and it never really gets off the ground. Not that it's horrible, but the spark here never turns into fire here. :roll:

Dakota Johnson kept me watching this film (easy on the eyes!) but Jamie Dornan as the sadistic Billionaire fizzles. Their relationship never really gets off the ground and the on screen chemistry was lacking.

The ending of this film is just that.......and ending........it simply ends. Screen turns black and the credits start to roll and you ask yourself.........IS THAT IT???!!!! :roll:..........

Both BD video (Letterboxed) and Audio are fine here......but not stellar.

5/10 for a lackluster movie. :Z

Now onto my other two rented. "Still Alive" and "American Sniper"..........will advise
    Dan Madden :T
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

Well it's part of a trilogy so yeah.... Probably why there wasn't more in the first movie. I heard the second book was better and the third was pretty boring according to my aunt.

Comment

• P-Dub
      Office Moderator
      • Aug 2000

Well in that case, you may enjoy this.

[youtube]atfIIDZRk9E[/youtube]
      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

A review of the book but still funny IMO :lol:

1/5: What in the hell just happened? Did I really read that? Oh, my god, I did. I did read that. Meet Anastasia Steele: Ana is just a giant mess of a human being. She's insecure to the point of it being laughable, 'klutzy' (even though she only trips twice in the entire book), and a complete ditz. She's a virgin (of course) who's never taken any sexual interest in anyone before. Right. I'm fairly certain there hasn't been a woman this naive since 'round about 1954. At one point, she thinks putting her hair in pigtails will keep her safe from Christian's lusty advances. Fuckin' real...
        Jason

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Funny reviews.

Yeah, I watched this out of curiosity too. Meh... somewhat overdramatic. And I'm not an S&M person myself, but I really don't think the "action" exhibited during this film accurately depicted either the actual activities, or even the spirit, of the world of S&M. As for the ending, yeah, they're obviously setting up sequels. Or, perhaps to be more accurate, the trend nowadays is not to make any film a complete work on its own, blatantly just "pausing" the story for the next one, stretching it out into as many film series as possible. Booooo...

[EDIT] not sure what happened, if I put a 2nd post in. But something I did have in one of the posts, my favorite part was probably the glider flying. Showed something that is very enjoyable.
          Last edited by Chris D; 05 July 2015, 19:12 Sunday.
          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
          - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Like everyone else, I got suckered into watching this through curiosity. I would demand my money back for the rental, but I know I would never get it. They can have the sequels.

I'm pretty open minded when it comes to sex, but I am surprised that so many women are into the kinky stuff ; enough to make this silly book a huge bestseller.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

I'm not tempted to watch it. Life is too short. If you want kinky there are far better options out there, and like Chris I'm not an S&M person myself. I promise. Hand on heart.

Nigel.

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Lol!
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
                  Like everyone else, I got suckered into watching this through curiosity. I would demand my money back for the rental, but I know I would never get it. They can have the sequels.

I'm pretty open minded when it comes to sex, but I am surprised that so many women are into the kinky stuff ; enough to make this silly book a huge bestseller.
                  I honestly don't know what the answer is here. A LOT of bored house wives with incredibly boring/non-existent sex lives or what? I haven't read the book(s) or watched the movie but if there's any truth to the review I posted earlier I feel pity for them.

She's constantly afraid he's going to beat the crap out of her, and with good reason as he, on more than one occasion, tells her he's going to/wants to.

Potential rape is downplayed. Ana's friend, Jake Jose, starts pushing himself on her rather vehemently when they're both drunk. Ana repeatedly says no, but Jose just keeps trying to go in for the kill. Admiral Chaps busts on up with his riding crop, however, and saves her. Ana (understandably) avoids Jose for a while after that, and when her other friend asks her why, all Ana says is, "He made a pass at me." Later on, she and Jose are friends again, the "attempted kiss" forgotten. *Sigh*

Rapists appear to be a theme. Christian tells Ana that he gets off on having complete and total control over another person. This is not just in the bedroom, but in Ana's overall life. On several occasions, he fails to yield when Ana says no, plunging on regardless, assured she'll like whatever he does, anyway, so why bother stopping?

And there are women out there who think this is romantic.

I wish you the best of luck, ladies. Just keep in mind that while you're fantasizing about abusive, misogynistic assholes like Grey, there are a lot of women dealing with the horrors of actually living with men like him. For all you ladies bustin' out your toys while daydreaming about Hunky Mr. Grey, I want you to do something for me. It'll only take a moment. Close your eyes. Think about all the things Christian Grey does in the book. Not just those supposed sweet things, but really, everything. His condescension, his control, his insane jealousy, his threats.....and now....imagine he looks like this:

Still turned on?

And we're treated to her alternately being angry about the pain and humiliation she faced at Christian's hands, and chastising herself for being a failure and for being mean to Christian. It really is classic abuse mentality. Yet I see her being touted by some as "strong and independent".

It's this kind of ignorant trash that sets feminism back decades. Women who defend this book are, however unwittingly, participating in some of the most blatant misogyny I've ever witnessed, giving the impression that some women enjoy being debased, abused, and controlled (outside of a consensual Dom/sub relationship). This is not a book about BDSM, this is a book about one sick, abusive man and his obsession with a young, naive invertebrate. It's a book about a girl who has absolutely no sense of self, who sacrifices any pretense of individuality in order to hold onto a man who doesn't even show her the faintest glimmer of respect. It's about two attention-starved individuals with the emotional maturity of toilet paper convincing themselves that their relationship is 'like, the best thing ever, OMG'. It's trite, insulting, and dangerous. I fear for any impressionable young women who read this and think that this is how an ideal relationship should operate. If nothing else, it should be issued as a guidebook to mothers around the world to show their daughters the kind of man to avoid at all costs. This book does good men (and indeed, all of humanity) a disservice.
                  Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Well at least I didn't get suckered into buying the book. Sounds like it is a real dilly.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"