X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Boyhood

One of the better movies I've seen this year IMO, a solid 9/10. I loved the way it showed the subtle moments and events as they shape your life and perspective. The innovative casting/filming over 12 years is just icing on the cake.

Arquette's also pretty darn fantastic in it.
    Jason
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

An ingenious undertaking, IMHO.

When we auditioned it a few weeks ago, The Wife & I both thoroughly enjoyed it.
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Yeah, the wife and I both really liked it.

I'm not really sure how to describe it. There's no specific "wow" scenes or particularly earth shattering realizations or anything. It's (short of a few more colourful scenes)a largely subtle film that simply paints a portrait of "life" as seen through a white, North American boys eyes.

I actually wonder how well it would resonate with people who don't necessarily fall under that demographic. Would a white European man enjoy it as much as I did? A Black, Hispanic, Asian, Indian etc North American man...?
      Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Jason, if you and Bill liked it, that is good enough for me. It is now on my must see list.

You know, this film is ambitious and somewhat risky to any of its investors. A lot can happen to people over a 12 year period.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

I'm excited to hear what you think George. Not only because I value your opinion on films but your opinion of it, being from an earlier generation, may be just as different as the other ethnic examples I gave :lol:

And yes, especially with the lead character. You never know what risky, foolish and life endangering behaviour teenage boys will get themselves in to! :rofl:
          Jason

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Rented it last night. First, I love the idea and ambition of intentionally filming over 12 years to capture the real passing of time in the actors' lives, and their natural physical and inner aging. Quite a fresh and grand idea, not to mention the moderate gamble that all the characters would stay available and able to participate in the film for 12 years. This is way more than a contract for 2-3 years to make a usual film.

I also appreciate movies that are about the human condition, and about the complexities of LIFE. I can see how many would not like the film, exceeding today's 100 minute movie attention span, and would consider it unwatchably "boring" with the lack of dramatic and epic conflict scenes. But I really appreciate what the filmmaker tried to do.

That being said, this one just didn't click for me. Without a dramatic storyline, films like this dangerously toe a line, such as the critical criteria used by the late great Gene Siskel: "Is this film more interesting than a documentary of the same actors having lunch?" Yes, at times I did get bored, but then other scenes recaptured my interest and care of the characters and their lives. Movies are more than just watching time tick by, they tell a STORY of interest. I do appreciate that this one simply tells the story of an ordinary child's life. I have to wonder, though, if there's anything to gain from watching this movie, that I couldn't get just by putting hidden cameras around any given child in America, and just stare at their life.

So I'm somewhat conflicted. And watching the disc extras, even the filmmaker seemed to be unsure of what he was making: "I wanted to make a film about boyhood. But what about it was I going to show? When would it start, and how would I know when to end it?" Quite the problem, when there's not a particular story you're telling, especially when there's not a particular story conflict that can reach an Act III climax or resolution. (but such is basic life) So on one hand, I appreciate the theme of the human condition. On the other, though, the film just didn't capture me as a complete work and connect. I'll give an extra half star just for the originality and grand ambition, though.

In total, :35: out of :5: for me, which I fear is still a bit generous.
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"