X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • numberoneoppa
    • Sep 2009

My first build: North Seas

Hey all, this is my build thread for my first DIY speaker project, brianpowers27's North Seas design.

Here are the XO parts:

The 'woofers':

The tweeters:

Most all of the parts together:

Scrap / Enough for a pair of Overnight Sensations methinks!

All of the good cuts awaiting assembly:

The very tiny work space I've got on the garage floor of my parents' house.

I'll keep the thread updated as I make more progress tonight. I won't be finishing the speakers this weekend, but will do what I can and finish them after my school semester ends (after the 15th of December).

Thanks for looking and if you have any advice to drop, please do so.
    -Josh
    -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.
  • NoDestiny
    • Jan 2009

I have not seen this one before (but thats probably a huge list), can't wait to see your results!

Whats the plans for finishing the cabinets?

Comment

• numberoneoppa
      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by NoDestiny
      I have not seen this one before (but thats probably a huge list), can't wait to see your results!

Whats the plans for finishing the cabinets?
      =)

My plans for finishing: Orange paint and then a crystalac or similar high gloss hard finish on top of it. Should look mighty tasty.

Does anybody notice my huge blunder from those pictures posted so far?

edit: Those binding post cups I have, how should I go about cutting the holes for them? I have my stepdad's router, could I use that? If so, could somebody elaborate a bit on it? Thanks
      -Josh

Comment

• BOBinGA
        • Mar 2009

Invest in a Jasper jig for your router:

You can use it to cut the driver holes AND the binding post cup hole. It's so simple, once you get the hang of it, that I will never buy square binding post cups again.

-Bob
        -Bob

The PEDS 2.1 mini system
        My A7 Project - another small desktop speaker
        The B3 Hybrid Dipole - thread incomplete and outdated

Comment

• numberoneoppa
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by BOBinGA
          Invest in a Jasper jig for your router:

You can use it to cut the driver holes AND the binding post cup hole. It's so simple, once you get the hang of it, that I will never buy square binding post cups again.

-Bob
          Thanks, going to see if I can buy something similar locally and if not, I'll order a jasper off of parts-express for when I get back mid-december.
          -Josh

Comment

• Operandi
            • May 2007

Looking nice Oppa!, I still can't believe that thats all crossover components, crazy.

I also can't believe that I forgot to suggest the Jasper Jig. I looked around before I bought mine but didn't fine anything that was really like the Jasper; you'll probably just want to get yours off of PE, or maybe Amazon.

Here is a thread on the PE forums on Crystalac, hopefully it will be updated with some pictures.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Operandi
              I still can't believe that thats all crossover components, crazy.
              Originally posted by me from earlier
              Does anybody notice my huge blunder from those pictures posted so far?
              Anywho, yeah, I will push the blame of not having a cirlce jig upon you! :P I'll order one and cut my holes and glue the cabs together mid-december I guess. Crossovers are almost done, though (sans the missing caps). Should post the pics of those tonight. They're not too bad.
              -Josh

Comment

• WayneW
                • Jul 2009

One bit of advice. If you aren't going to build that until december, you should try to get that MDF off the floor. MDF will suck moisture into it like a sponge when sitting on concrete!

Good Luck.

Wayne

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                  • Sep 2009

Thanks Wayne, I actually plan on moving it to my work bench (astroturf on top of ply) later tonight, I'll put some plastic under it, too.

Anywho, the crossovers are finished (sans the missing caps lol).

<- All of em.
                  <- HF
                  <- LF
                  -Josh

Comment

• lunchmoney
                    • Jul 2008

I like your use of heat shrink on the crossovers.

I'm curious, why did you spread them out over 2 separate panels like that? Looks like you could have easily fit all the components on just 1.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by lunchmoney
                      I like your use of heat shrink on the crossovers.

I'm curious, why did you spread them out over 2 separate panels like that? Looks like you could have easily fit all the components on just 1.
                      Yeah, I didn't really think of that will after I had already cut the little boards and I just went with it. No biggie, really. I kind of like it like this.

edit: Hehe, I guess you really do learn a lot your first time!
                      Last edited by numberoneoppa; 30 November 2009, 10:35 Monday.
                      -Josh

Comment

• Txgrizzly
                        • Jun 2009

looks interesting... let us know how they sound

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                          • Sep 2009

So I'm back home and working on the speakers again, but can't do anything because my stepdad's router is nowhere to be seen. I know it exists, but I have looked through the garage for hours to no avail. I found the guide for it, which leads me to believe that it exists!

I've got my jasper jig in the mail and it looks totally cool. I also got some nuts and bolts from madisound when I ordered the other capacitors - unfortunately, the longer ones have a diameter too large for my woofers. Guess I'll swing by the home depot.

:'(

edit: Went to Lowe's - they have a poor selection of bolts, guess I'm using parts-express. :P

edit 2: Shoot! "Haste makes waste."
                          Last edited by numberoneoppa; 17 December 2009, 00:01 Thursday.
                          -Josh

Comment

• Operandi
                            • May 2007

Originally posted by numberoneoppa
                            unfortunately, the longer ones have a diameter too large for my woofers. Guess I'll swing by the home depot.

:'(

edit: Went to Lowe's - they have a poor selection of bolts, guess I'm using parts-express. :P

edit 2: Shoot! "Haste makes waste."
                            Hello again Oppa. I plan to buy my bolts at McMaster-Carr, for my sub and future projects. They have just about everything (stainless, brass, even chrome plated!), give them a look.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                              • Sep 2009

Operandi, that site is awesome. Thank you very much.
                              -Josh

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jun 2006

The Seas is a really smooth performer. You are going to like it.
                                Javier Huerta

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by fjhuerta
                                  The Seas is a really smooth performer. You are going to like it.
                                  Thanks, I sure hope so. =)

Anyways, I'm going to post some pictures later (no SD card reader handy), but I've just routed out the holes for the binding post cups, which was pretty fun! It's raining now, but once the rain stops, I'm going to finish routing holes for an Overnight Sensations build I'm going to do over Christmas. This morning I glued the two baffle pieces together, so hopefully tonight I can route the holes for the drivers on North Seas.

Plans after holes are all cut: Glue back and sides of cabinets together, and in the morning, I'll do a dry fit of everything. If everything works out, I'll glue it all together tomorrow. I'm leaving for Chicago on Saturday, so I won't be able to finish, paint, or listen to the speakers until early January. It will be worth the wait, I am sure.

=)
                                  -Josh

Comment

• BeerParty
                                    • Oct 2008

Anyways, I'm going to post some pictures later (no SD card reader handy), but I've just routed out the holes for the binding post cups, which was pretty fun!
                                    I take it you found the router then...

Keep up with the pictures (we love pictures) and good luck with the build.
                                    Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
                                    My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by BeerParty
                                      I take it you found the router then...

Keep up with the pictures (we love pictures) and good luck with the build.
                                      Yeah, I found the router, it was in the shed. Even though I had already looked in the shed, I wasn't expecting the case to be so large so I overlooked it. :/

Pictures?

Gluing the two baffle pieces together:

Getting to be friends with the router:
                                      +Yes, I know it's not perfectly flush, but when it's screwed in later, it will be protruding by only a mm or so, which is very desirable to me.

Cuts for my Overnight Sensations (yes they got rained on when I went inside for three minutes):
                                      -Josh

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                        • Sep 2009

So I've got the cabinets glued together now, sans the baffles, but couldn't get any pictures in before I left to Chicago for the holiday. Unfortunately, that's as far as I got since rain has been hammering South Florida for the past week or so.

Anywho, so I'm thinking since I have an air compressor at home, maybe I could try to spray the finish on these speakers instead of brushing it on. Does anybody have any advice on this? I don't have a large working area inside of my garage, is this something that could be done outdoors? Also, would anybody care to recommend a pneumatic sprayer? My grandpa told me to pick up an oil and moisture filter too, so recommendations are very welcome there, too.
                                        Looking at: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=94572

Thanks for all of the help so far, guys!
                                        Last edited by numberoneoppa; 21 December 2009, 01:16 Monday.
                                        -Josh

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                          • Sep 2009

Okay, here's a bit of an update, with pictures. More text after the pics.

The last pic is a more accurate depiction of the colour than the one the precedes it. Still coating and going to crystalac soon. Anyways, I've learned so much so far during this build - mostly that the surface needs to be way perfect before painting, once you think you have sanded enough, sand twice as much as you already have, haha.

Also, latex paint freaking blows.

:P
                                          -Josh

Comment

• lunchmoney
                                            • Jul 2008

Looks great! Particularly for a first build. I like the bold use of color.

The only thing I might have done differently would have been to radius the sides of the baffle to smooth out tweeter response. Probably not a big deal.

Looking forward to further pix, and your listening impressions.

Keep it coming!

Comment

• Greg Kramer
                                              • May 2009

Very nice! I like all of the pics. I am sure you will be very happy.

Comment

• Kidsrapain
                                                • Dec 2009

I see the woofers are on sale.

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Jun 2006

Love the color!!!
                                                  Javier Huerta

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                    Mad Max Moderator
                                                    • Aug 2000

Okay, here's a bit of an update, with pictures. More text after the pics.

The last pic is a more accurate depiction of the colour than the one the precedes it. Still coating and going to crystalac soon. Anyways, I've learned so much so far during this build - mostly that the surface needs to be way perfect before painting, once you think you have sanded enough, sand twice as much as you already have, haha.

Also, latex paint freaking blows.

:P
                                                    Reminds me of canary yellow NSX...

the AudioWorx
                                                    Natalie P
                                                    M8ta
                                                    Modula Neo DCC
                                                    Modula MT XE
                                                    Modula Xtreme
                                                    Isiris
                                                    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                    Minerva Monitor
                                                    Calliope
                                                    Ardent D

In Development...
                                                    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                                    Obi-Wan
                                                    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                                    Modula PWB
                                                    Calliope CC Supreme
                                                    Natalie P Ultra
                                                    Natalie P Supreme
                                                    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                                    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Operandi
                                                      • May 2007

Looking nice, you will surely get lots of comments and questions when people walk into the room and see them.

I'll be awaiting your impressions, to decide what towers I want to build when things thaw in WI.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by lunchmoney
                                                        The only thing I might have done differently would have been to radius the sides of the baffle to smooth out tweeter response. Probably not a big deal.
                                                        I was going to do this, but I ended up taking the easy way out. I already ran out of time before heading back up to school (putting topcoat on using friend's compressor :P).

Anyways, thanks everybody for your very kind comments. I'll be sure to keep the pictures coming and give a good summery of my listening impressions.

ps: JonMarsh, I was aiming for the yellow that's used as a common stock colour on the Lotus Elise.

pps: Never start a coat of paint/anything on the FRONT side of the speaker, i've done this several times and have a horrible habbit of making it run (only experience and pain will fix my stupidity it seems).
                                                        -Josh

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                                          • Aug 2000

Hey, sorry I didn't pick up on the correct shading of the Lotus color! :W
                                                          the AudioWorx
                                                          Natalie P
                                                          M8ta
                                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                                          Modula MT XE
                                                          Modula Xtreme
                                                          Isiris
                                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                                          Minerva Monitor
                                                          Calliope
                                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                                          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                                          Obi-Wan
                                                          Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                                          Modula PWB
                                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                                          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• villastrangiato
                                                            • Jan 2010

Cool color!

But you probably won't get a lot comments like:

"And the speakers just disappear when the music comes on"

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                                              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by villastrangiato
                                                              Cool color!

But you probably won't get a lot comments like:

"And the speakers just disappear when the music comes on"
                                                              Haha, thanks, and we'll see what they sound like by the end of the night. Ony one more coat of crystalac left. I'll give them 4 hours or so for the final coat to dry before moving them. Maybe they will disappear - with my eyes closed of course! :P
                                                              -Josh

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                                                • Sep 2009

Oh yeah.
                                                                -Josh

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                                                  • Sep 2009

Okay, they're done. No pics right now because I haven't taken any and because the listening area is... ugly. BUT, even though my only source so far is an FM tuner (lol), so far they sound great - very great. Will be getting my friends record player and some records later - am very pissed that I forgot my record collection at home D:

Receiver/Tuner: NAD 7140.
                                                                  -Josh

Comment

• Operandi
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • May 2007

FM radio?? If you had asked I could have barrowed you some wax cylinders : .

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Sep 2009

Haha :P

In any case, I've hooked up my computer to the receiver and they sound GREAT! I've played several artists so far, including Billy Joel, Ayumi Hamasaki, Foxy Shazam, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, YUI, Fall Out Boy, and Lady GaGa.

YUI is an absolute joy to listen to on these speakers, her voice in her ballads is just incredibly soft and pretty to listen to. =)

I'll post a lengthier post later on describing pros and cons of the speaker. So far, so good!
                                                                      -Josh

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Sep 2009

So I've got them set up with some good sources, a NAD T571 DVD/CD player and a Pro-ject Debut III turntable. Some pictures of the setup are below, followed by a review of their sound.

I have some Black Chrome spikes to add to the bottom on the way. This will also help as the carpet tends to make them lean over by a few degrees.

How do they sound? Well they definitely outperform the KRK studio monitors I have now. I don't really feel like I'm missing anything when I listen to my music which is the way it should be, I believe.

Before writing this, I listened to dozens of records and a good handful of CDs to make sure my review of their sound was fair. I noticed something when I was listening to a lot of them, though. They didn't sound very good. Notice how I only said some of them. Yeah, some sounded great, while others really quite honestly sucked. This must be what people mean when they say that good speakers will reveal bad recordings.

Some stuff that I listened to that I really liked included BB King - There Must Be A Better World Somewhere (LP) and Daft Punk - Human After All (CD), and Miles Davis - Kind of Blue (LP). Kind of Blue was great in that the different brass solos really came alive with these speakers in a way I have not heard before, some of the saxophone playing in the album really made me giddy with glee. BB King's album really showed me the range of these speakers, the trumpet playing really showed off the capability of the North Seas' upper mids, while some of the bass playing went way down low in a very realistic, authentic manner. Listening to Daft Punk is definitely quite the departure from Jazz and Blues but it's a really great way to see what the speakers can do. The strange electronic noises in Daft Punk's music really put both drivers to the test, and they both pass with flying colours! It's quite fun to listen to loud. :P

Now, one track that I've listened to before literally dozens, if not hundreds, of times before is M by Ayumi Hamasaki (Japanese pop artist). I have the vinyl which I've listened to a few times hooked up to my KRK Rokit 8s. I swear when I listened to it on the North Seas it was like hearing the song for the first time.

Garth Brooks is another artist whom I've listened to many times before in the past. His music has never sounded so good to me as on the North Seas.

Lady GaGa. Wow, this is mastered like crap. When listening to her debut album loudly, it's just too demanding on the woofer, xmax seems achieved with the volume at 50-60% on my NAD 7140. This is an issue I had with a lot of modern music, probably due to the loudness war and shotty mastering. I didn't have this problem with most "properly produced" albums. Oh, and 50-60% volume on my receiver with these speakers is very loud (party loud).

So what cons does this speaker have? Well, perhaps there could be a bit more bass (for my taste), but this might be addressed in the second revision of the crossover - I used the first.

Perhaps in the future, I'll build something better that will eclipse the North Seas, but for now, they're the best speakers I've heard (perhaps apart from the B&W 800 series speaker that I've auditioned before).

I want to thank Brian Powers for designing this speaker and helping me with some questions when I was starting up. I also want to thank Operandi for getting me into this hobby in the first place and for being supportive every step of the way. Last, but not least, I want to thank everybody else who posted in this thread with your opinions and your helpful advice.

=)
                                                                        -Josh

Comment

• bbcmp1979
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Dec 2009

Wow,
                                                                          very expressive coloring, and great contrast for your set. :-). they are gorgeous.

Comment

• Operandi
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • May 2007
                                                                            • 145

Nice work, they turned out great, I like how the jet black drivers contrast with the color of the paint. Nice review too, makes me think I may still build these .

Comment

• mgrabow
                                                                              Member
                                                                              • Dec 2009
                                                                              • 30

#39
                                                                              The very tiny work space I've got on the garage floor of my parents' house.

[/b]
                                                                              I'll keep the thread updated as I make more progress tonight. I won't be finishing the speakers this weekend, but will do what I can and finish them after my school semester ends (after the 15th of December).

Thanks for looking and if you have any advice to drop, please do so.
                                                                              -Josh[/QUOTE]

Bicycles and MDF... Loks like my shop.

Comment

• brianpowers27
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Feb 2009
                                                                                • 220

#40
                                                                                Fantastics execution

Fantastic execution. I really enjoy the sporty paint color too. You are right about the 2nd version addressing the bass issues. It sounds quite a bit different. Both xos sound good though and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend sticking with either choice.
                                                                                --My Speaker building pages http://sites.google.com/site/brianpowers27speakers/
                                                                                --Get yourself on this forum member map! This can help everyone find fellow DIYers in the area.
                                                                                --The Speaker DIY resource Database

Comment

• evilskillit
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Oct 2008
                                                                                  • 468

#41
                                                                                  I've seen those things around before, always wondered what they were called and how they sound. Glad you're happy with them. The paint job is way over the top. I love it but I don't know if I could live with it. Glad your happy with your build. So whats next ?

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                                    • Sep 2009
                                                                                    • 535

#42
                                                                                    Originally posted by brianpowers27
                                                                                    Fantastic execution. I really enjoy the sporty paint color too. You are right about the 2nd version addressing the bass issues. It sounds quite a bit different. Both xos sound good though and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend sticking with either choice.
                                                                                    Thanks a lot, Brian. I really like the sound of the current XO, so I don't think I'll be changing it anytime soon.

Originally posted by evilskillit
                                                                                    I've seen those things around before, always wondered what they were called and how they sound. Glad you're happy with them. The paint job is way over the top. I love it but I don't know if I could live with it. Glad your happy with your build. So whats next ?
                                                                                    Yeah, the paint job was daring - possibly a bit silly. What's next? I'm finishing the paint job on a pair of Overnight Sensations right now (for the last 2 weeks, I blow at painting). I just ordered a tritrix kit for a friend today, so I'll be working on that next week. I'm trying to find a rich friend because I really want to try and build a large 3-way design like the Khans or the Statements.

I have a 4x8 sheet of Bamboo veneer in my garage and I'm itching to use it.
                                                                                    -Josh

Comment

Working...
                                                                                    😀
                                                                                    😂
                                                                                    🥰
                                                                                    😘
                                                                                    🤢
                                                                                    😎
                                                                                    😞
                                                                                    😡
                                                                                    👍
                                                                                    👎
                                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                    Search Result for "|||"