• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

"American Sniper" BD review

American Sniper

I spun this BD the other day in a series of 3 films that I rented (see other two reviews listed here). This is a very good, well done film! This movie is more about the emotional toll that going to war and shooting people has on people than the war itself. I found the battle scenes in this film however were very well done.

SPOILER!!! :E

The scene where a mother passes a grenade to her what looks like her 6 year old son to martyr himself to an oncoming American convoy is particularly disturbing. Our American sniper is forced to shoot the kid and that was very, VERY hard to watch!! When he goes down and then the mother picks up the grenade to try and finish the job....... and he shoots her too, I'm forced to ask myself if any mother in ANY country.....regardless of their ideology or religion could allow that to happen to their child. I cannot accept that that would happen in reality.

My problems with this film end there and I watched the rest of it realizing the toll that war takes on solders and their families.

Well done!! 8.5/10 stars for an engaging film! :T

Ps.....Picture and sound in this BD presentation was exceptional and because I'm in an apartment now, I found myself lowering the volume on occasion to not allow my neighbors to think that there was a war zone going on in our area!
    Dan Madden :T
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

As a combat vet of these wars, I was very nervous about this film, and in some ways it was difficult to watch. But yes, this is a very good film, particularly being the story of one soldier, his time in combat, time back home, and the troubles positioned between the two. It's not a story of the war itself. Kind of like Schindler's List, it's something I take very seriously, and that I'm glad I've watched, but I'm not sure if I'll ever watch it again. I did pick up a used copy at my local Blockbuster though.

The Dolby Atmos soundtrack was very good as well. I'll give the movie :45: out of :5:
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

I agree that this is a great film. However what I found most disturbing was what happened to our hero after he returned home. He wasn't in a war zone there.

People who live in countries with gun control laws - which let's face it is the majority of civilised countries in the world - look at the United States with sheer disbelief. It's time for a change, but I fear the problem may be too big to solve.

Nigel.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

This film absorbed me completely. It is hard to watch at times, but I know I will watch it again soon.
        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"