Edge of Tomorrow---worth at least a viewing (and a few more)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Edge of Tomorrow---worth at least a viewing (and a few more)

Watched this movie yesterday afternoon. Don't have time for a full comment, but I will revisit this thread.

Short version--I don't get why this wasn't a much bigger box office success. Well-done all around. One caution--if one is the type of viewer that insists on analyzing every element involved in a time travel story, don't bother. The mechanism is explained, but how it actually works is unimportant.

Actually, having watched and read many stories about time travel, I've come to the conclusion that none of them stand up to rigorous analysis. There is always a logical flaw somewhere, no matter how it is portrayed. So instead of nitpicking them for inconsistencies, I just "go with the flow". Only way to remain sane regarding time travel, really.

For those who want to "show off" their subwoofer(s), the Blu-ray will do the trick. Found a whole new set of rattles to tamp down after watching this movie. There must be some pretty serious infrasonic material because I could hear the rattles even when I could not hear the bass (though I could certainly feel it--thanks SVS ).
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Yeah, I found it surprisingly good. And you are correct about the terrific low end stuff.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Face
      • Mar 2007

On the BluRay, in the very beginning there is content down to 10hz that is recorded very hot. Be careful, you may blow a driver or shake things off the wall. :-) There is a long thread about that 30 second clip in the DIY section at AVS.
      SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• bostonmurf
        • Jul 2014

agreed, quality movie. better than i expected it to be, very funny in parts! will be adding it to my demo list along with the training scene from the revised robocop - that really uses the full effect of the bass shakers.

Comment

• P-Dub
          Office Moderator
          • Aug 2000

I saw this on the plane and will be looking to get the BlueRay. It was a fun movie and I'm surprised it didn't do better. I wonder if it is an anti-Tom Cruise effect. Like the M Night S effect.

Watching it on a 5" screen with headphones just didn't do this movie justice.
          Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• bostonmurf
            • Jul 2014

yes its tough to watch movies on planes or on any small screens for that matter. i just end up thinking - this bit would be good on a bigger screen. i just listen to music now when i fly or stare at the gps map as i dont like flying.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Edge of tomorrow - Just barely 7/10 verging on 6.5.

Groundhog Day meets Starship Troopers. It was reasonably entertaining action/sci-fi and Cruise does his usual solid work in the lead with Blunt adequately co-starring. It's entertaining but somehow feels like it should have been "more" when it's all said and done. Good premise that seems like it missed an opportunity to become a great movie for the genre.

Certainly watchable and fun but nothing terribly memorable or thought provoking either IMO.
              Jason

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"