• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

A few more TV series reviews

Hey folks!!!

I'm still spinning TV series on DVD and have watched a few over the last few weeks. Here we go!!

Chuck - This series is pure, mindless fun and at times the laughs are pretty good. Chuck works at a 'Buy More' store (TV's version of a Best Buy!) but his mind was inadvertently loaded with the 'Intersect'....which is all the worlds knowledge in regards to anything terrorist and criminal. He becomes a HUGE asset to the government and he is assigned 2 'spies' or agents to guard him and use him for his vast knowledge and information. The female spy is super cute (Definitely my type!) and the other grumpy military type is fun as well. At times the show doesn't know what it wants to be....serious and violent or just plain ridiculous. The 'Buy More' scenes and the geek dudes that work there with Chuck are hilarious!. I enjoy watching this and I am quite entertained most of the time. I'll give this one a 7/10 for it's 'fun' quotient. I am currently into the 3rd season and having fun. :T

Falling Skies - This series starts to fail right from the get go!. Given the fact that this series executive producer is Steven Spielberg you would think that this is not possible......but....sadly....it is. The pilot starts off all wrong. The premise is that aliens have started to take over the World and there is a band of people trying to survive and avoid them and on occasion, trying to kill them. The series starts off mistakenly with the aliens already there and in control so you start off right into the action. Upon watching the pilot, you quickly realize that something is just not right. It moves very slowly, it's wordy, and lacking in alien action. I suppose they are trying to achieve character development but that idea falls flat in the case of this series. None of the characters are interesting in any way and the dialogue and acting fall flat. The dude (Doctor) from ER stars in this series. Sadly, I stopped watching this before I finished the first disc of season 1. :Z

5/10 stars for a very poor effort..........:roll:
    Dan Madden :T
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Mirrors my views on Chuck. (see here) I'd be a bit more generous and give it a 7.5-8/10. By the way, for anyone who hasn't seen this and has a good subwoofer, the opening theme song is surprisingly deep in bass, as are some of the musical cues in various episodes. I'm not sure I'd have noticed the full extent of the bass prior to adding my SVS-PB2000 to the system earlier this summer.

Haven't seen the other series. Probably give it a miss (especially with all the unwatched stuff I already have).

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

I will have to completely disagree with you about Falling Skies. In a world filled with reality TV shows and insane no plot movies, I welcome a slow moving, wordy, character driven TV show. It's The Walking Dead with aliens instead of zombies. While the Walking Dead does seem to piss me every mid season but makes me want more by the end, Falling Skies tends to make me wish the season wasn't so short. Also unlike WD it's aliens, you have an entire universe of plot expansions (and they have expanded!).

Inside tip, it's not a show about aliens. It's a show about how individuals in a group setting deal with aliens.

Kevin D.

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Kevin D
        I will have to completely disagree with you about Falling Skies. In a world filled with reality TV shows and insane no plot movies, I welcome a slow moving, wordy, character driven TV show. It's The Walking Dead with aliens instead of zombies. While the Walking Dead does seem to piss me every mid season but makes me want more by the end, Falling Skies tends to make me wish the season wasn't so short. Also unlike WD it's aliens, you have an entire universe of plot expansions (and they have expanded!).

Inside tip, it's not a show about aliens. It's a show about how individuals in a group setting deal with aliens.

Kevin D.
        The problem with this series for me is that the dialogue, plot and acting are generally poor. I find myself not caring about any of the characters in this series. The only place where this series shines is the music and the cinematography.

Given the more serious nature of this series, why is it that I care more about Chuck in the series 'Chuck' than ANY of the characters in this series??!!.

But you are correct about reality series (And the hilarious fact that people really think that they are real!) and no plot movies. I can't stand them and for that reason, I really had high hopes for this series. Sadly though, it fizzles for me.

Has anyone seen the series "Homeland" ??? I heard that it's good.

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Homeland is excellent, the first season especially so.

Comment

• madmac
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Ovation
            Homeland is excellent, the first season especially so.
            Excellent !! I'll check it out as my next dvd series watch !!

Comment

• Hdale85
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2006

I love falling skies and agree with Kevin. I have a hard time even watching The Walking Dead anymore. The writing and whatnot has gone to crap too many times. I have a full season waiting to be watched because its on the bottom of my list of shows to watch.

Homeland is one of my all time favorite shows.

Comment

• madmac
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2010

I crapped out of the "Walking Dead" pretty early on because it was too idiotic!. I mean, the idiots in that series purposefully put themselves in zombie harms way just so the audience gets their zombie fix!. Nobody in the real world of zombie infestation would do what these people do!. Sorry.....PASS!.

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

I just completed the 5th and last season of "Chuck" and I must say, I really enjoyed this last season! The last episode was quite well done and they ended it well. If you watch this on DVD, make sure you watch some of the bonus videos on the last disc. It will give you a good idea and understanding of why this series worked so well.

At this point, I'll join Ovation and give this series a 8/10

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"