• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Secret Life of Walter Mitty

7/10

This one seems to be very hit and miss with folks so I went in with some trepidation.

Turns out it`s a nice light, warm, entertaining, feel good movie. It's certainly nothing groundbreaking (if anything it can be a down right stereotypical "fluff" at times) but it was simply a fun, enjoyable, "escapist" watch IMO.

Leaned a little heavily on special effects for the day dreams but otherwise was beautifully filmed and left the wife and I feeling all warm and fuzzy at then end.

Great for those nights you just want an easy, feel good watch. I take it that those who were disappointed, went in expecting "more".

Jason
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I kinda liked it, too, Jason. The cinematography was eye popping. I actually bought the blu-ray when it came out because I do find Stiller's movies mostly enjoyable. I've watched it twice and actually enjoyed it more the second time around. That was a different role for Charlize Theron's new squeeze, and he was convincing as the adventurous photographer.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
      Twin Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2003

Glad you liked it as well George :T

Indeed it was eye-popping! Particularly the Iceland/Greenland scenes I thought.

Agree Penn did a good job in his role as well.

Completely unrelated but have you seen Take Shelter yet? I posted a review on it and feel it's one of the better movies/acting performances of the last ~decade. Would love to hear your thoughts on it.
      Jason

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by aud19

Completely unrelated but have you seen Take Shelter yet? I posted a review on it and feel it's one of the better movies/acting performances of the last ~decade. Would love to hear your thoughts on it.
        I don't use Netflix, Jason, so I have to rely on local ma and pa outlets and there are only 3. No luck in finding Take Shelter. One store said he'd try to get it but no luck so far.
        My Homepage!

Comment

• madmac
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2010

I went into my video store yesterday looking for this film and Take Shelter and found neither. Not only that, I walked out with nothing at all!. Nothing at all inspired me sadly. Most of the boxes looked aimed at teenage kids and looked more like violent video game boxes than movies. Sad!
          Dan Madden :T

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

Originally posted by madmac
            Most of the boxes looked aimed at teenage kids and looked more like violent video game boxes than movies. Sad!
            I agree, Dan. There was a time when I would purchase one or two dvds or blu-rays a week. Now it's something if I purchase one a month. And unfortunately, without a national chain like Blockbuster, if you want to rent a movie of some substance, you are pretty much out of luck.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• madmac
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2010

Originally posted by George Bellefontaine
              I agree, Dan. There was a time when I would purchase one or two dvds or blu-rays a week. Now it's something if I purchase one a month. And unfortunately, without a national chain like Blockbuster, if you want to rent a movie of some substance, you are pretty much out of luck.
              And George, the sad thing is that it had been a good month and a half since I visited the video store. You would figure there would be SOME films I'd want to see no??. Sheesh!!

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Well IMO, you guys are pretty safe to hop on Amazon or whatever you preferred e-tailer is and buy Take Shelter. It's that good.
                Jason

Comment

• madmac
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2010

I have acquired a BD copy of 'Mitty' and will post my thoughts shortly!. Jason, I do not buy movies as a rule. I'll get my grubby hands on a copy of Take Shelter sooner or later!.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by aud19
                    Well IMO, you guys are pretty safe to hop on Amazon or whatever you preferred e-tailer is and buy Take Shelter. It's that good.
                    I'll keep that in mind, Jason, if I can't eventually rent it.
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• madmac
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2010

I watched 'Walter Mitty' last night on BD and liked it very much!. It kinda' reminded me a little of a man's version of "Eat, Pray, Love". Splendid cinematography and soundtrack (DTS). Ben Stiller was great and Sean Penn, even though his role is small was also great. I liked the weirdness of this film and Walter's crazy daytime, day dream delusions! I thought the whole film was imaginative and well done.

8/10 stars for a really interesting, fun film to watch!

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jan 2001

Good assessment, Dan.
                        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"