Marantz DV 9600 question about Kris Deering's Secret's Review?????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chinets
    • Jun 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Everyone,

I have the Marantz DV 9600 and the question I would like to ask is why did Kris Deering in his Secrets review of the Marantz DV9600 DVD benchmark say that In SA-CD one has to go from DSD to PCM???

I listen to SA-CD in Multi-Channel so why would I have to go from DSD to PCM . Doesn't that defeat the purpose of the ByPass mode ,and have a perfect DSD sounding SA-CD CD down graded to a normal PCM sound. Can anyone explain what Kris Deering here is saying below:

"The audio section of the DV9600 is excellent, with full support of both high resolution formats and full bass management as well as time alignment for both. SACD does require conversion to PCM though for time alignment, but in our opinion it is well worth it. "

The other comment Kris Derering said was the Matrantz has full bass management. I have the Dv 9600 ,and I couldn't find in the whole manual or in OSD or my remote anything to do with bass management either in DVD-A or SA-CD??? What is this bass management he is talking about??? Bass management can only be done with my Processor ,so what is Kris talking about when he says bass management on the Marantz DV9600?????

Can anyone out there expalin this to me please!!!
    Thanks in advance,

Cheers,
    Chinets
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

If you use the built in bass management capability of a player like the DV9600, the DSD has to be converted to PCM to be processed and provide the time offsets, (internal DSP), then is converted to analog via PCM output of the processor.

If your processor provides bass management, then it's doing the same thing. None of the available DSP chips used in surround processors can process a DSD signal.

Personally, I think one is better having separate music and HT systems, partly to avoid these kinds of issues, but of course that's not always possible. You still may be very happy with the results. Personally, I find the setup typicall required in HT to accomodate screen placement is less than optimum for music reproduction, but quite adequate for what most folks expect of HT.

OTOTH, have you ever heard HT on a setup well optimized for imaging and wideband audio without a conventional HT processor? i.e., high grade 2.1? that can be a real treat....

~Jon
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• chinets
      • Jun 2005

Thanks JonMarsh,
      I really appreciate all your kind comments.

What I did not understand and still can't figure this out, is where is the bass Managment on my Marantz DV 9600. I can't find it in the manual althought everyone states that the DV 9600 has bass management. I can only bass manage on my Rotel processor 1098?? Can you help me find this DV9600 bass management everyone is talking about??

From what I understand from you JonMarsh is that true SA-Cd will not sound correct or in its original form DSD in 5.1 right???????
      In multi-Channel DVD-A ,does sound correct in 5.1 and that is analog? Well when I put an SA-CD and flip it into extension or Multi-Channel in Analog wouldn't that give me the correct DSD sound in 5.1 that i am looking for.?? Well the DVD-A and the SA-CD sound very much the same in Multi-Channel 6 ouput Analog ,so isn't this way correct or am I loosing the point or did not understand you well. So how would you get true DSD??????????

I don't like 2 channel , so NO, I have never heard HT on a setup without a processor in 2.1!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would very much appreciate you answering the above questions as I am totally lost here.

Thanks in advance for your kind help and advice,
      Cheers,
      Chinets

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

There are many variables in a system, and the conversion from DSD to PCM prior to D/A is only one- many other factors may be the limiting issue, not high resolution PCM or it's differences.

One reason conversion of DSD to PCM has gotten a bad name in some quarters is some of the players (like an early Pioneer two channel universal model), which did so in the main DAC, and had rather lackluster sonics. It's as much a question of the quality of the implementation as the principle. High grade high clock frequency PCM (say, 24/96 or 24/192) can sound very good. And it can also be mediocre, as clock quality and overall design practices become even more critical as you raise the operating frequency and bit depth for PCM.

I prefer two channel SACD in most cases, and the performance of the higher end stereo players, but you can get very good multi-channel SACD; there's just no reason you have to run it through an HT processor; you can use the direct analog outputs in 3, 4, or 5 channel (some of my favorite multichannel SACD recordings are the Living Stereo RCA SACD releases which reproduce the original 3 channel/ 3 microphone mix from the recordings.

Like Widescreen review, I do subscribe to the concept that multi-channel shouild be implemented with speakers of identical capability and voicing. But that is expensive and takes up more room than many are willing to give. An interesting surround effect can be had with a more conventional HT speaker setup, and for many that will suffice, as the novelty of discrete surround and ambiance reproduction is what they're looking for. Still, you wouldn't want to set up most HT's with the surrounds in the front, and that should give you a clue about their adequacy by some standards for full range music.

The nice thing about this technology is that there are different ways to implement your system depending on what your preferences, desires, and budget are. Most folks wouldn't ante up for Cardas Golden Reference speaker cables for a 5 channel system, now, would they? But they can put a nice sounding system together at a price that makes sense for them.

I've never used a Marantz DV9600, so I can't speak to any bass management features it may have. This are normally available only on the analog multi-channel outputs, and considering it's universal format, with DVD-V and DVD-A, it "should" have bass management.
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• chinets
          • Jun 2005

Thanks JonMarsh,
          You are so knowlegable about this stuff ,it really impresses me!!!!
          I appreciate the time you took to help me!!!! Sorry, as I took a lot of your time judging from the Long answer that you responded.
          Have a wonderful day,
          Cheers

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"