• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

"After Earth" review...

:roll:

Spun this on DVD the other day. This movie is so bad......I can't even explain to you all how bad it is 8O Smith's son Jaden is just terrible in this movie. Unless he was Will Smith's son, there is NO WAY that dude could or would pass an audition. His acting is just terrible!.

The story is thin and the science fiction is just dumb. However, I did manage to watch it to the end so for that, I'll give it.........

0.5 / 10 stars !! :lol:
    Dan Madden :T
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

It was so bad I wanted to forget it.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Wow. That bad? No redeeming "so bad it's (unintentionally) funny" elements? Oh well. I've certainly got enough on the unwatched pile to give this a miss.

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by Ovation
        Wow. That bad? No redeeming "so bad it's (unintentionally) funny" elements? Oh well. I've certainly got enough on the unwatched pile to give this a miss.
        Nope.....so bad it's NOT funny bad!
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Unfortunately, I have to agree with all the above. I can usually find a redeeming item, to hang my hat on, with most films. Not the case here. Like madmac, I'm shocked I finished the film.
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jan 2001

I wonder if this film was so bad because of the Smith family involvement. Will and his wife were producers, Will apparently wrote the story ( but not the screenplay ) and the son was the lead actor. Now let's face it, the boy is not anywhere near the actor his dad is. So maybe Will just expected too much of his boy, and because he wanted him to succeed badly, perhaps his own good common sense became blurred. M. Night Shyamalan hasn't done much of any worth since his first big one, too, so maybe his good common sense was blurred by a desperate effort to create another big hit. Whatever happened, the end result was pretty terrible.
            My Homepage!

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Although I haven't seen it, my guess is that it's the Will Smith family issue. I could definitely see Will Smith directing his agent, and/or sitting down with studio executives, using his own star power to get a movie role for his son. His son was fine as the latest Karate Kid, (although I could have done without the Chinese government influence) but as he gets older studios aren't going to want him as an actor just because Will Smith is his dad, unless he develops star talent on his own. So I could see the studios putting together a B-level movie deal to placate Will, and try to make the best out of it by putting Will in it as well. (And Shyamalan, who I didn't know was involved) Doesn't mean it'll be a good film though, and in thi case it sounds like different factors were thrown at it, but not put together to make a quality product.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Unfortunate as it was an interesting premise.
                Jason

Comment

• bigburner
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

I watched it this evening and I enjoyed it!!! Put me in a purple wig, call me Edna and take me off to the funny farm.

Perhaps "enjoyed" is a bit strong but I watched the whole film, which isn't always the case. Apart from some corny saluting at the beginning and the end I scoffed at very little. Perhaps it was the 11% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and the poor reviews in this forum that did it? With zero expectations it could only get better.

Nigel.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Jan 2001

Originally posted by bigburner
                    I watched it this evening and I enjoyed it!!! Put me in a purple wig, call me Edna and take me off to the funny farm.
                    Nigel.
                    :rofl::rofl::rofl:
                    My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Perhaps you should update your sig to reflect your name change "Edna"? :lol: :P
                      Jason

Comment

• John Holmes
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

Originally posted by bigburner

Perhaps "enjoyed" is a bit strong but I watched the whole film, which isn't always the case. Apart from some corny saluting at the beginning and the end I scoffed at very little. Perhaps it was the 11% rating on Rotten Tomatoes and the poor reviews in this forum that did it? With zero expectations it could only get better.

Nigel.
                        I too have been satisfied with a film which most others seem to dislike. I think there maybe something to having lower expectations going in. At least your time with this one, was enjoyable.
                        "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Chris D
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Dec 2000

Oh, man... from everything you guys were saying, I was expecting something on the level of "Battlefield Earth". Maybe it's because I went in with low expectations, but I liked it too. Not bad! I was expecting laughably bad acting and special effects you could see right through. A couple things in there I didn't understand. I thought it was a fresh story with new aspects, not purely a rehash of "Alien", or "Planet of the Apes". Will was definitely believable as the senior general and crusty father. Jaden is lacking as the heroic son, but does ok. Nothing great, but I give :3: out of :5:
                          CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                          - Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"