X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glen B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jul 2004

Sean Levert (son of Ojay's' Eddie) dies at age 39

Sean Levert, 39, son of O'Jays lead singer Eddie Levert and brother of Gerald who died a couple years ago at age 40 has also passed away. He was in jail serving a sentence for unpaid child support. To lose two young sons like that in the space of two years, I cant begin to imagine what Eddie is going through. Here's the story:

Singer Sean Levert Dies At 39 After One Week In Jail

Mar 31st 2008 1:11PM

By Jawn Murray, BlackVoices.com

One third of the R&B trio LeVert, singer Sean Levert has died.

The 39-year-old crooner, son of O'Jays lead singer Eddie Levert and younger brother to the late Gerald Levert, died after a medical emergency in jail.

Levert was taken from the Cuyahoga County jail in Cleveland late Sunday evening and died within the hour at Lutheran Hospital, said Powell Caesar, a spokesman for the Cuyahoga County's coroner's office.

Early last week, it was reported that Levert was sentenced 22 months in jail after pleading guilty to six counts of nonsupport. The singer owed more than $85,427.68 in back support for his three children, ages 11, 15 and 17.

An autopsy to determine the cause of death began this morning, Caesar said in a statement. Apparently, Levert suffered from high blood pressure and had been hallucinating in jail. Toxicology reports could take four to six weeks.

According to the Associated Press, warden Kevin McDonough said Levert had been sick and guards were watching him at the jail's regular cellblock because he had been acting strangely.

He declined to be more specific about Levert's medical condition.

"There was nothing that would show any of this," McDonough said. "He had an illness while he was here and it turned into an emergency at that time."

Levert's arrest for child support was a big story last week and during my report last Friday on the 'Tom Joyner Morning Show,' show host Tom Joyner, a longtime friend Eddie Levert, said that the O'Jays singer was hoping to help his son pay back the child support so that he could get out of jail.

"They are working on a deal right now," Joyner said Friday morning. "Eddie said he got some new money from Coors. They re-upped his contract. He was planning on doing some fun stuff with that money, but you know..."

The LeVert trio had attempted to reunite after the death of Gerald Levert in 2006.

Levert, group member Marc Gordon and a new member Dwight Thompson re-launched during the O'Jays' headlining set at the 2007 Essence Music Festival.

LeVert was best known for hits like '(Pop, Pop, Pop, Pop) Goes My Mind,' 'Just Coolin'' and 'Casanova.'

A rep for the family said a statement should be released later today.
    Last edited by Glen B; 01 April 2008, 11:53 Tuesday.

• John Holmes
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

I agree, it would be very difficult to deal with.
    "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• H.Donald
      • Aug 2004

Kind of unthinkable for a father...
      I did not know the son's music very well,but I grew up listening to the O'Jays...much sympathy for the elder.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"