X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madmac
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2010

"Iron Man 3"

I decided to rent the Blu ray version of this film for it's kick Ass sound presentation but alas......this film falls short. It's certainly the most awkward Iron Man I've seen to date. It never really gets off the ground. It's not horrible but I expected better.

6/10 stars for this poor effort........
    Dan Madden :T
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

These types of films seem to get pretty bad reviews from you guys. I'm curious what exactly you're expecting out of them? I mean, these are quite literally shoot em up sci fi robot boom boom bam bam summer popcorn flicks. I almost feel like there should be multiple categories of movies when we review things. I.e. you can have a movie which was enjoyable and fun, but not necessarily the next Shawhank Redemption. Just a thought.

On this actual movie, I enjoyed it for what it was, $10 for a couple of hours of entertainment.
    -Chuck

Comment

• Face
      • Mar 2007

We expected a movie similar to the first two, which it wasn't.
      SEOS 12/AE TD10M Front Stage in Progress

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

Originally posted by impala454
        These types of films seem to get pretty bad reviews from you guys. I'm curious what exactly you're expecting out of them? I mean, these are quite literally shoot em up sci fi robot boom boom bam bam summer popcorn flicks. I almost feel like there should be multiple categories of movies when we review things. I.e. you can have a movie which was enjoyable and fun, but not necessarily the next Shawhank Redemption. Just a thought.

On this actual movie, I enjoyed it for what it was, $10 for a couple of hours of entertainment.
        But......there are some GOOD 'shoot em up sci fi robot boom boom bam bam' flicks. This one simply fell short of being that good.
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

Sure there are some, but they are really the exception and not the rule.
          -Chuck

Comment

• Dmantis
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Jun 2004

I saw it in the Theater and I plan on picking it up this weekend on Blu ray. I don't rent Blu ray's anymore since they removed the True HD and DTS Master Audio tracks which by the way is insane.
            I think it was a pretty good movie , not on the same level as the first 2.Awkward was a very good description of this movie. I was puzzled by some of the choices made in this film.
            Tony Stark has been making Iron Man suits for years at this point in the movie and can't seem to get it just right in this one. And then the kid thing I wasn't really into. The ending battle was basically stupid and retarded.

If you haven't seen this but saw the first 2, it's still worth checking out. I'm sure the audio and video will be reference quality.

I'd give this one a weak 3 out of 5 stars with the first one a strong 4 out of 5 and the 2nd a soft 4 out of 5.

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Yeah, I don't think it was bad. There was just stuff that didn't live up to the greatness established in Iron Man 1 and some other superhero movies.
              CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
              - Pleasantville

Comment

• John Holmes
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2000

I saw this at the theater. I too thought it was the worst of the trilogy. That doesn't mean it is a bad film per se. I agree, it has it's problems but, I still enjoyed the film. Dmantis and I had some of the same issues with this movie.
                "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Ovation
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Dmantis
                  I don't rent Blu ray's anymore since they removed the True HD and DTS Master Audio tracks which by the way is insane.
                  Is this a rampant problem in the US? I've only noticed this issue once (I live in Canada) and it was a Fox "rental only" release, I believe (a really annoying kind of release, as it means I don't buy the used copy at the video store--which, I suppose, is the reason they have such releases).

Comment

• Chris D
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Dec 2000

Say whaaaaaaa? I definitely am still seeing lossless audio in BDs that I rent. I'd be pissed if it started getting dropped.
                    CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Dmantis
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Ovation
                      Is this a rampant problem in the US? I've only noticed this issue once (I live in Canada) and it was a Fox "rental only" release, I believe (a really annoying kind of release, as it means I don't buy the used copy at the video store--which, I suppose, is the reason they have such releases).
                      I'm not sure if it's limited to US only but keep your eye on it when you rent.

Comment

• Dmantis
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Jun 2004

Originally posted by Chris D
                        Say whaaaaaaa? I definitely am still seeing lossless audio in BDs that I rent. I'd be pissed if it started getting dropped.
                        From what I was told, any rented released Blu ray movie will be stripped of it's Master audio tracks in favor of people buying instead of renting. IMO this back fired as I don't rent anymore VIA blu ray disc as I'm not paying more for a rental and not getting what Blu ray is so I stream all of my rented movies and only buy very selected Blu rays now.
                        I stream VIA Apple TV and Vodu.

Comment

• Ovation
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2004

My player tells me onscreen what my audio is at the press of a button and I do it out of habit on anything I put in it. So far, I've only had that happen once (a lossy-only track) for a title that sells with a lossless track. Perhaps this "brilliant marketing strategy" was quietly abandoned?

Comment

• audioqueso
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Nov 2004

I liked the movie. I thought it had a great storyline. HOWEVER, I liked this movie as a movie, not as a comic-book movie. I grew up reading a lot of comics. I've come to the conclusion that most comic movies shouldn't be watched as a fan's movie, but just as entertainment. If you watch this movie open minded, it's good. If you try to relate it to the comics, you will be highly disappointed.
                            B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• Chris D
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Dec 2000

On a related note, the Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. show has started now. I'm really looking forward to this one and the tie-ins to the Avenger universe. I've got the first two episodes DVR'd, but haven't had a chance to watch them yet.
                              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2004

I've watched the first two. Pretty good, but not outstanding. A few easter eggs for those who actually read comics about SHIELD from the 1960s. Has potential but I'm not yet "wowed".

Comment

• Chris D
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Dec 2000

Yeah, disregard. Although the first two episodes have some "fun" aspect to them, there's a level of "dumb" to them too. Unless the show really starts to improve, I don't think it's going to do any more than 1 season. It's good to see Agent Colson back, though.

FWIW, their airplane is a C-17, with another set of horizontal stabs and engines set on the empennage. Semi-cool. Rather ludicrous what they try to show as being all stuffed inside it, though.
                                  CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                                    Super Senior Member
                                    • Sep 2004

It uses tesseract technology to create a space that's larger on the inside than on the outside. C'mon, I thought you'd been fully briefed. :lol:

Comment

• Chris D
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Dec 2000

Ahhhhh... cool.

So the next time I go fly, can I get issued a demi-god hammer to take with me?
                                      CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Sep 2004

If you can pick it up off the ground, I think it'll all be copacetic. :lol:

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                          Mad Max Moderator
                                          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Chris D
                                          Yeah, disregard. Although the first two episodes have some "fun" aspect to them, there's a level of "dumb" to them too. Unless the show really starts to improve, I don't think it's going to do any more than 1 season. It's good to see Agent Colson back, though.

FWIW, their airplane is a C-17, with another set of horizontal stabs and engines set on the empennage. Semi-cool. Rather ludicrous what they try to show as being all stuffed inside it, though.
                                          I hope they manage more than one season- there have been some signs of redeeming wit here and there- there's much worse writing on TV these days!
                                          the AudioWorx
                                          Natalie P
                                          M8ta
                                          Modula Neo DCC
                                          Modula MT XE
                                          Modula Xtreme
                                          Isiris
                                          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                          Minerva Monitor
                                          Calliope
                                          Ardent D

In Development...
                                          Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                          Obi-Wan
                                          Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                          Modula PWB
                                          Calliope CC Supreme
                                          Natalie P Ultra
                                          Natalie P Supreme
                                          Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                          Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"