X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

SWAT has its moments

Samuel L Jackson and Colin Farrel star in this fast moving actioneer. A so-so backstory about Farrel losing his position on Swat, then being given another chance on the team led by Jackson. The main story is about the Swat team's effort to transport a nasty crook and turn him over to the Feds. While being moved a news film crew is present and the crook uses the moment to issue a 100 million dollar reward to anyone who successfully frees him from Swat. This makes for a few wild attempts and for one very well planned attempt and we get a lot of bing bam boom !

This is an okay action flick that moves fast, but it is a waste of Jackson and Farrel's talent. These guys deserve better material. Their characters could have been played by just about any actor with some acting ability. The PQ is pretty good and there is lots of action in the surrounds and the LF. I enjoyed it as a rental but wouldn't add it to my collection.

:2:

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!
  • David Meek
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

That's a very concise wrap-up of this film, George. :T Lots of bang bang action, but not much story behind it. It's a good popcorn rental.

David - HTGuide flunky
    Our "Theater"
    Our DVDs on DVD Tracker

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Gordon Moore
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Feb 2002

Yup...I just caught this one on the weekend and I agree. Over-the-top cheese at times. Definately a popcorn flic. Not a buy but worth a rental.

It does have great sound...some nice panning effects...etc...

The extras are okay but thin.
      Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• Whistler
        • Aug 2003

Samuel L. Jackson should be more carefull when picking a role, the last movies where he was involved weren't that good except for Basic. The sound is great though a bit loud, I don't know if I will buy this one.

The Mainframe
        The Mainframe

Comment

• John Holmes
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

A few good laughs and solid action. But so much more could have been done with this film. Too many things in this movie just lacked. And Ferral's ex-partner just never sells the "Tough-Bad Guy" role.

This was one screenplay that should have stuck closer to the TV show scripts!!!

"I came here, to chew bubble gum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubble gum!!!" My DVD's
          "I have come here, to chew bubblegum and kickass. And I'm all out of bubblegum!!!"

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

Funny... this was another movie on Ebert and Roper's Top 10 Worst Movies of 2003 list. I had put it on my movies-to-rent list, but now I don't know if I'll see it or not.

CHRIS
            Luke: "Hey, I'm not such a bad pilot myself, you know"
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• Gordon Moore
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Feb 2002

Everyone's a critic Chris...if you want to see it I wouldn't let some movie buff sway you one way or the other. Ebert and Roeper are informative, and Ebert's column is very entertaining and well written but at the end of the day it's just one persons opinion.

100 people see a movie, 100 people get something different out of it at one level or the next. Just my 0.02 CDN
              Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2001

Chris, I agree with Gordon. I respect the opinion of other movie buffs, but I still like to make my own decision. I may like something someone else hates, or vice versa. As far as critics go, I usually like the films they pan. Go figure.

My Homepage!
                My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"