X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Phantom a surprise

When I rented this I thought it would be just another submarine themed thriller. I was wrong. It is an excellent film starring Ed Harris as the Russian captain of an atomic sub on its last patrol before being scrapped. Why Harris, who suffers with psychiatric problems as the result of a bad incident in his past, is chosen to take this final patrol ( also his last before retirement ) is revealed when an extreme Russian operative ( David Duchovny ) and his men take over the sub.
    Plenty of suspense as Harris works to go about reclaiming his sub. It's a tightly written, well paced story and well acted, especially by Harris as the troubled captain. :T
    My Homepage!
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

That looks interesting so I'll watch it.

The film has an odd poster. Why is Ed's name under David's photograph and vice versa?

Nigel.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by bigburner
      That looks interesting so I'll watch it.

The film has an odd poster. Why is Ed's name under David's photograph and vice versa?

Nigel.
      That happens from time to time when they want to split the billing--Harris gets top "print" billing but Duchovny gets the first (as we read left to right) visual billing. If you look at enough movie posters, you'll notice this cropping up every once in a while.

Comment

• impala454
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2007

I love submarine movies (Hunt For Red October and Crimson Tide are among my favorite movies of all time). Did this one go straight to dvd?? I don't ever remember seeing anything about it... Thanks for the review George!
        -Chuck

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

Originally posted by impala454
          Did this one go straight to dvd?? I don't ever remember seeing anything about it... Thanks for the review George!
          It was released in theaters in March of this year. I don't believe it was well received by critics. And perhaps the audience was looking for a mindless action flick, because it didn't do well at the boxoffice. I especially liked it because of Ed Harris's believable character, and for the somewhat unorthodox ending. I feel it belongs right up there with Crimson Tide and Hunt For Red October. But not all may agree.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

I think some of the disappointment (at least for critics) was the "inspired by true events" tagline. When a movie announces "inspired by" rather than "based on" with respect to "true events", it is usually playing a lot more loosely with the facts. However, the general public (and, surprisingly, many critics) does not make the distinction. To be fair, I think it is something of a misleading distinction anyway, but I research historical feature films quite frequently, so I'm probably more aware of these kinds of nuances than the general viewing audience.

I'll probably get around to seeing this (I like the two leads and I like submarine movies) but this isn't the kind of thing I'd consider using in a class (unless it was to specifically illustrate the difference between "based on" and "inspired by" when it comes to historical feature films).

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

You make some excellent points regarding " inspired by " rather than " based on "., Paul. I closed my mind to the " inspired by " claim and watched it for what it really was, a piece of fiction.
              My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

Given the rather minimal relationship between the film and the events that "inspired" it, your approach is the way to go.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"