X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ovation
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

Enigma--well worth a viewing

Just showed a little gem to my class earlier today. Enigma is set at Bletchley Park where the codebreakers worked on cracking the German Enigma codes. A quiet suspense-thriller with some great acting (especially by Dougray Scott and Jeremy Northam) of a kind only the British seem to know how to make. Requires paying attention and raises a couple of interesting ethical dilemmas in the context of the war (which is why I show it to my class--I assign them the role of an advisor who has to take a position for or against a course of action directly related to one of the dilemmas presented in the film).

It's based on an historical novel by Robert Harris (also worth reading), so it is not trying to be precisely accurate about any specific event. It is, however, true to the spirit of the period and provides a plausible scenario for the events it portrays. Mick Jagger (yes, that Mick Jagger) makes a micro-cameo appearance (he's one of the producers of the film and owns an authentic German Enigma machine which he lent to the filmmakers).
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I really enjoyed that movie and I distinctly remember a very attractive 40s looking Kate Winslet. And I agree, it is a typically well done British war drama.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• wkhanna
      Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Ovation
      Mick Jagger (yes, that Mick Jagger) makes a micro-cameo appearance (he's one of the producers of the film and owns an authentic German Enigma machine which he lent to the filmmakers).

I am quite familiar with story of the Enigma, but never knew about the Jagger connection.
      I shall put this one in queue.
      _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
      ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• Ovation
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

I've watched it about 9-10 times now, and I find it keeps getting better. Little things that took me several viewings to notice add to the richness of the performances. And the score has grown on me, so I'll be adding that to my music collection soon (it's by Bond movie veteran John Barry).

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Quite right, George, about Kate Winslet (she fits into the period quite well).

Comment

• Chris D
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Dec 2000

hadn't hear of this one. Added to my Netflix queue!
            CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
            - Pleasantville

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Originally posted by Ovation
              And the score has grown on me, so I'll be adding that to my music collection soon (it's by Bond movie veteran John Barry).
              Didn't he pass away a year or so ago ? He was a fantastic composer.
              My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"