I'm stoked, new British made Marshall head in route Monday!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lex
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Apr 2001

I'm stoked, new British made Marshall head in route Monday!

I ordered me a true British made Marshall head, made to their exacting standards, not some Vietnamese knock off like I have now that tore up in first 6 months. Just saying.

I ordered a JVM @ a better rate than site pricing. That helps.

Marshall JVM205H 50-watt 2-channel Tube Head
    50-watt All-tube Guitar Amp Head with 2 Channels, 3 Modes for each channel, Reverb, Effects Loops, MIDI switching, Line Out, and Programmable Footswitch. It's the most high tech foot switch I have ever seen. I like the organization of the front panel a lot better than the 100H too. Seems intuitive and easier to know where you are at.

I am dropping my Marshall 100H, I don't need 100 watts anyway, and once a big head like that breaks on you, you are nervous about driving it. Tube power is really not about raw wattage. I have 25 watt tube amps that will blow you out of the room.

This is about tonal options, and build quality, and TONE.

This is what I ordered, and I didn't pay list, no tax, and no shipping, and free interest for a while until I want to pay off, and dirt cheap pmts or I can pay more. I did put $400 on my CC, just to keep that pmt lunch money cheap. I would rather owe Sweetwater than GC. I like how their pmt dates hit better, and they give a lot more time if you need it. :-) I am sure I will pay off a lot sooner than the note allows.

I'll look up a pic later.

I will be pairing this with a British made 1936 Marshall 2 12" cab, so it's all Marshall as it should be.
    Doug
    "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer
  • Alaric
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Nice! I watched the video, and that amp just looks like all kinds of fun to play with.
    Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
    Marantz PM-KI Pearl
    Schiit Modi 3
    Marantz CD5005
    Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• bigburner
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

A great choice Doug. When you start playing arenas you could pick up a 1959HW.

Nigel.

Comment

• chrisn
        • Sep 2007

Nice amp, bet you can't wait to play it How'd you get the discount? I've got an eye on this one lately: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/5150IIILBX

Comment

• Lex
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Apr 2001

I talked to my personal sales representative and asked him what the best deal was on it. I have bought several amps, pedals and a guitar from them at least. He took care of me.

When , you first call in, you will be assigned someone to work with, and every time you call in, they will patch your number to them. Can't always get them right off, but can email them too. That's what I did with mine on this amp to start out with.

I got to set it up for use yesterday!!! WOW! This is a WHOLE different level of Marshall than I had ever experienced. The tone of this amp, is simply amazing!!! I can't say that it thas an unusable channel out of 2 channels (6 tonal options available - 3 on each channel). The clear tone, is smack me up side of the head SICK!!!!

I have not heard such clarity from any amp ever and I own a few.

Quick pick of amp, pedal not photographed yet. It's a 6 channel programmable pedal.

To say that I am happy with my slightly smaller 50 watt made in England JVM 205H would be an understatement. WOW! just WOW!

Probably about the most you'd hope to get off that amp you selected might be 50 bucks, but they might, then again, some things are probably not discountable, it all depends on brand and sometimes, timing...

Just make sure it doesn't have a loud fan, I tried a Vox Night Train 15 watt head and IMO, the fan noise was unacceptable. I dumped it on a trade.
          Doug

Comment

• chrisn
            • Sep 2007

Fan noise could be a problem since I don't play all that loud. Is that a dedicated jam room/space I spy in the background?

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Ok, well, the demo deal was too good to pass up, sometimes, you just want 100 watts, of British Blistering power. So, I got the 50 and 100 in the same series, and I can swap cables in 1 minute.

Doug

Comment

• chrisn
                • Sep 2007

Picture doesn't work for me

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

Sorry I missed your question Chris. Actually, my great room is my semi dedicated music space as well as living space. That is a 32 track recorder you see behind my amp head. Since I am not married, it's not a problem. lol. There's more in there, and my home theater. I also have a drum room that doubles for storage space. It's mostly all hobby related, music and photo. Ehhh, that's single life I guess. I have really been trying to improve my space utilization, it's an ongoing project.

Well, my 100 watt head blew chunks. I don't know what happened, transitioning to a loud channel/combo, a little louder than I thought it was set, it went Poof. I think something wrong with it if it did this and will be sending it back. Maybe get a better picture in my normal space hopefully when I get a replacement, if I can't get a new amp, I think I am just returning it.
                  Doug

Comment

• chrisn
                    • Sep 2007

That's terrible Did anything else get damaged when the amp failed? Did you have a preference for either amp?

It's always interesting seeing other people jam rooms and work areas. Mines an old coffee table in the basement lol. I recently added this to it: https://www.blackstaramps.com/uk/products/ht-5rh It's the amp I actually wanted, but since it's been discontinued (sort of), I thought I missed out. I really like it so far.

Comment

• Lex
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Apr 2001

Cool, I like Blackstar, I had a 1HT 1 watt I should have kept it. But I dropped it in a trade deal. It happens.

I wasnt using it, and upgraded my kitchen zone amp.

well, I don't think anything else was damaged. They are sending me a new amp, instead of a demo this time, so hopefully I should be good when they finally get inventory. They are out and waiting on more. They are picking up all shipping charges, so I can't complain.
                      Doug

Comment

• chrisn
                        • Sep 2007

Glad everything else is fine. Sucks having to wait for something you just bought, but at least you're getting a new amp out of it Any new guitars to go along with the new amps :??

Comment

• Lex
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Apr 2001

First recording with British made 50 watt JVM205H

Access Google Drive with a Google account (for personal use) or Google Workspace account (for business use).

I will just do a show and tell on guitars one of these days...
                          Doug

Comment

• chrisn
                            • Sep 2007

Sounds good, nice recording work too. How many guitars *do* you have?

Comment

• Lex
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Apr 2001

At this point, I will just have to go with "enough"... I was playing a PRS 408 on that recording. It's not the best mix, some things could be improved. I been away from recording for a while.

Thanks,

Doug
                              Doug

Comment

• chrisn
                                • Sep 2007

I had to look up the 408, and it sure looks good h: I have far more speakers than I do guitars, but I'm working on it 8O

Comment

• Lex
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Apr 2001

Here is a photo of my 408, a beautiful playing guitar.

Doug

Comment

• chrisn
                                    • Sep 2007

Those PRS guitars look good. What finish and top is that? I'd take that over a "reliced" guitar any day.

Comment

• Lex
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Apr 2001

chris, that is a Maple Top with a super flamed artistic finish, called Obsidian. You can't get that on anything except a Artist package guitar now or Private Stock one, which is big bucks. My guitar has went up about a $1000.00 I think. I will never sell this guitar, it will always be babied.
                                      Doug

Comment

• chrisn
                                        • Sep 2007

Is the bridge pickup physically larger than the neck pickup, or are my eyes playing tricks on me?

Comment

• Lex
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Apr 2001

I think that is an optical illusion. I will have to get out of case to double check, but pretty sure same size. The guitar was angled back at photo time. not a straight on shot. Good spot though.
                                          Doug

Comment

Working...
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"