X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

MUST BUY - The Art of Flight

There are some discs that I consider MANDATORY purchases for HT/music enthusiasts--Chris Botti Live in Boston BD, Dire Straits Brothers in Arms 20th Anniversary SACD/DVD-A, Apollo 13, Cars, etc.

If you haven't already, add "The Art of Flight" of that. There are some media discs that I just consider mandatory owning if you really are serious about music, movies, and/or HT. I'm a sucker, personally, for demo discs and demo-type materials where you get some friends over to your home theater, and you say, "watch this!" Then you pop in a song, music or video intro, or movie snippet and just wow them with the A/V experience.

I've seen several videos before of extreme snowboarding/skiing. I thought they were impressive, and entertaining for a few minutes, but nothing I followed up on. I've been a snowboarder myself, but haven't for a while, as I've lost the ability due to a medical condition. From a narrow viewpoint, this film is about extreme snowboarding/boarding as well. But the difference is, it's filmed VERY well, with high speed, high def cameras and such. 1080p and Dolby TruHD 7.1 audio on Blu-Ray. Yes, there are LOTS of shots of absolutely insane snowboarding and extreme sporting that few people would do in the name of being unsafe. Yes, if you're a boarding enthusiast you'll probably love it even more. But even if you don't care anything about snowboarding, but can appreciate high-def video AWESOMENESS, you really can't pass this one up. After CEDIA last year, I made this one a blind purchase, but haven't gotten around to watching it. It was totally worth it. As an aviation enthusiast, there's several aviation scenes that were amazing. I love mountains--several of those shots rocked. Several great scenes about locations around the world that were fascinating.

If you're an HT fan enough to be on this forum, you owe it to yourself to buy this on BD. If nothing else, the first 5 minutes of the film are enough to include in your HT demo material line-up and make it worth it. And there's a fantastic cutting-edge Dolby trailer I haven't found anywhere else. :45: out of :5:
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

I'm pretty sure I've seen this, and it was rather awesome.

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Hey, Chris, I was surprised because I actually thought it was about aviation. Anyway, I'll keep an eye open for it.
      My Homepage!

Comment

• impala454
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2007

Ha, George that's exactly what I thought at first as well.
        -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Dec 2000

Here's a trailer to give you an idea what kind of stuff is in this film.

And I don't think I mentioned, some of those beautiful mountains they show in the film are right here in ALASKA. Rock on--

[youtube]kh29_SERH0Y[/youtube]
          CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Mw182006
            • Feb 2013

10000% agreed...my favorite blu-ray in my collection by far. Everyone I've shown this to literally had their face melted off by the awesomeness. I've probably watched it 6 times by now and it never gets old.
            -Michael

Comment

• Chris D
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Dec 2000

Damn, I hate it when my face gets literally melted off by awesomeness!

Chuck Norris must have that problem a lot as he walks around.
              CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Last night I scored what I consider to be a MASSIVE home theater find. I'm adding 3D and some other capabilities to my theater. Found out that the Art of Flight was also released in 3D in limited markets. Can't find it here in the US. But I got on eBay and, following a hunch based on some research, ordered the German 3D Blu-Ray from Europe. Sure enough, it showed up last night in the mail, Region 2. The case, menus, and movie are all in German.

HOWEVER...

It can't be only Region 2 in reality, because it plays on my PS3 and PS4. (and those aren't region-free, unless I missed something) AND, a secondary audio track includes English DTS-MA 7.1.

So, I just put up with the menus in German, (and ignore the outer case) and I get this movie now in 3D and lossless 7.1 audio! Only Dolby Atmos (or upcoming DTS format) would make it any better. Haven't given it the full run-through yet, but just checking out a few scenes, I'm ASTOUNDED. Incredible depth on outdoor mountain shots. You can see the individual snowboarder or helicopter drop off a cliff and track in 3D against the rocks.

This 2D Blu Ray movie was a must-buy, top demo material, for any serious home theater enthusiast before. But now, 3D has taken it to a whole new level. This is solidly my #1 demo disc, head and shoulders above anything else. Enthusiasts, ignore this one at your own loss.

(this picture is from the Australia release)
                CHRIS

- Pleasantville

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"