• Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

The Amazing Spider-Man

Rented this the other day on BD.

"ME TOO!"

That's what this movie kept shouting to me, over and over. I'm always skeptical of doing these "reboots" of character series, over and over, even if they're not pure re-makes of the same movie. No matter how many times you re-do a character series, I guarantee there will ALWAYS be another writer, or director, or producer, that adamantly says, "But I want to do it too, and I KNOW I can make it better!" :roll: Yes, I'm glad that Christopher Nolan did his Batman re-boots, and they're simply awesome. But do we really need a never-ending re-hash of Hulks, Batman, Superman, Spiderman, etc?

No. We don't. I would have been just fine had this movie never been made, and/or if they had continued the previous Spiderman series, even if they used different actors, like the Batman series did for a while, as long as they got it back on track. But I think this movie was unnecessary, and really just a ploy to try and get back into the box office. It wasn't that it was "bad", it was just... unnecessary. Now we have yet ANOTHER Superman reboot coming up later this year with "Man of Steel". :roll:

Give us a break, Hollywood. EXPAND the stories that you tell through film. Don't keep telling the same stories over, and over, and over, in the latest way that you think is "fresh" and hip!

Again, not a bad film so a reluctant :3: out of :5:. I want to push it even lower, but it's really not that bad. ... and I don't ever mind looking at Emma Stone. :T
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Oh, and I meant to add that the Stan Lee cameo scene in this one is one of the best.
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• Dmantis
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jun 2004

I feel as you do on so many levels. I'm completely tired of reboots and prequels.
      But I actually really liked this movie as I thought they got back to the original story. I love that he has web shooters instead of being able to create web from his body like in the Toby Movies.
      Man of Steel looks Incredible , I'm a huge Superman fan and I'm really digging this film. I wish they would have used the Dude from Smallville Tom Welling as I thought he would have been perfect for the role. I would also would have rathered a Smaillville to Superman Movie to get the new spin of Superman.We shall see if it lives up to the awesome trailers.

I will say this , as a comic book fan , I love having Super Hero films , years ago some of the Super Hero films where awful , just watch the first Punisher.

Comment

• madmac
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2010

It's basically due to a lack of creativity on Hollywoods part........
        Dan Madden :T

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Jan 2001

I had no interest whatever in this one.
          My Homepage!

Comment

• aud19
            Twin Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2003

I'll eventually watch it as I too am a fan of the genre but yeah I can't say I'm really all too excited about it.

I'm not sure what happened since the was it 90's/early 2000's? We had SO many great films come out in that 10+ year span... Shawshank, American Beauty, 6th Sense, Usual Suspects, Pulp Fiction, Matrix, 12 Monkeys, Dazed & Confused, Apollo 13, T2, Trainspotting, Fight Club, Fargo, Schindler's List, Big Lebowski, Boogie Nights... The list is practically endless! It was like Hollywood remembered briefly how to make great, original film/art.
            Jason

Comment

• JonMarsh
              Mad Max Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Well, being the designated devil's advocate and odd man out, let me say I actually saw this in the theater and enjoyed it quite a bit... and will buy it on BD.

Just for the record, I obviously have no taste or common sense... :W
              the AudioWorx
              Natalie P
              M8ta
              Modula Neo DCC
              Modula MT XE
              Modula Xtreme
              Isiris
              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
              Minerva Monitor
              Calliope
              Ardent D

In Development...
              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
              Obi-Wan
              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
              Modula PWB
              Calliope CC Supreme
              Natalie P Ultra
              Natalie P Supreme
              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• Ovation
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2004

I enjoyed it, as I did the other three Spider-Man films. I basically have a four-tiered approach to movies.

Tier one (not a rank of quality but of purpose): Historical feature films. I use such films quite a bit in my work and have a growing collection of them. So far, even bad ones have proven to have useful moments in the classroom. Rarely pass one by.

Tier two: classics (think Hitchcock, Bogart, old style epics, etc.). I love old movies and have a bunch of them. Frequently add these to my collection.

Tier three: Serious movies for adults (no, not those kind of movies :lol: ). No particular genre, just well-made films with stories that are not aimed at children or adolescents. Think The Godfather, Raging Bull, Zodiac, Arbitrage, etc.

Tier four: Everything else. Comedies, popcorn action flicks (like Spider-Man), kids' movies that appeal to both my children and to me (Pixar films, LOTR, etc.).

I adjust my expectations according to which tier a film might fit (and yes, many can fit more than one tier, but usually one tier is predominant, in my view, with respect to any particular title--I'd place Nolan's Batman films, despite being superhero movies, into Tier three for example, even if adolescents form part of the core audience). Since I've taken this approach, I find I enjoy a lot more movies.

Comment

• Lex
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Apr 2001

I waited to hear the good the bad the ugly about this one. I enjoyed the 3 prior films, not sure I need another one. So, I'll wait for it to pop up on movie channel someday maybe. Then we'll see... Actually, I am trying to recall if my spiderman movies are BD. I'll have to look tonight.
                  Doug
                  "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• aud19
                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                    • Aug 2003

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                    Well, being the designated devil's advocate and odd man out, let me say I actually saw this in the theater and enjoyed it quite a bit... and will buy it on BD.

Just for the record, I obviously have no taste or common sense... :W
                    It's not that I think it's bad (I haven't actually seen it yet to say one way or the other) and by the accounts here it actually sounds like it will be a decently entertaining flick. I'm just not overly excited to see it, due largely I think, to it's un-originality.

It's "just" ANOTHER Spiderman reboot/rehash. I just had a bit of a rant there on the stagnant state of Hollywood in general, not necessarily on this movie specifically. It's hard to get excited about something you've already seen...regardless of how good it may or may not be.
                    Jason

Comment

• P-Dub
                      Office Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

I saw this one and thought it was okay. Didn't go out and get the DVD/BR, but I rarely do that these days.

I find it interesting hearing/reading about what it takes to get a movie made these days. I think this is one of the main reasons for so many reboots, sequels and just lifting from existing comics or books. I think there are a couple of other book based movies coming out.
                      Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"