X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • june
    • Feb 2005

Superman Returns

Hello All,

What did you think? I'll give it a B- / C+. I need more Superman, less story.
    One major question wasn't asked thoughout this film. In a few days after everyone has sceen SR I'll ask my question.

Please get to the movie early to see the trailer for SPIDERMAN 3!!!!!!!
    June
    "IF YOU FAIL TO PLAN, YOU PLAN TO FAIL"
  • Brandon B
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2001

Haven't seen it yet. Curious if this review is on target, brings an interesting dynamic to the movie if so:

BB

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

I actually really enjoyed this film, it showed an emotional story line, and very good CGI, I found myself very engrossed in the film, and even tearing periodically. There was something for the whole family (both of my kids enjoyed it), just be aware it is rated PG-13 for some violent scenes but no profanity and body revealing scenes.

However, I was critical of the focus in the movies theater, and I called an assistant manager (very young gentleman), who said OK, but never corrected the problem, I digress.

I am interested in your question June, although it is probably pretty easy to find loopholes in this movie. I strictly went for the escapism and entertainment value, which it definitely provided, IMHO.

4 stars out of 5, be aware that this movie is 2 hours and 45 minutes long.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Azeke
        However, I was critical of the focus in the movies theater, and I called an assistant manager (very young gentleman), who said OK, but never corrected the problem, I digress.
        I may have to make a trip to an Imax theatre for this one! :yesnod: (I seem to remember seeing an ad that it was in Imax 3d too!!! :E :P . Hope I'm not mistaken there!). The problem you noted above is one of the reasons why I avoid theatres like the plague and only go to Imax when I do make it to one. Sadly that limits the mount of films I can see on the big screen

PS. I watched the Spider Man3 720p Quicktime trailer yesterday! :P
        Jason

Comment

• Don
          • Feb 2003

Just saw it with my kids and we liked it. The theater where we saw it also has focus issues. I will surely buy the dvd when it comes out.

Comment

• obiwan
            • Jul 2005

Saw it here last night in Australia. Bloody brilliant I thought. I was tears and goosebumps all the way through it. Very well done.

No focussing issues here (and I'm an optometrist and a HT nerd, so I'd notice if there were).

I don't think we're going to get the IMAX version here. A shame, I'd love to try that out.

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
              • May 2003

Wow! Does that guy look/act like a young Chris Reeve. (the girl i went with said Routh was MUCH better looking-heh)
              Excellent Film.
              No focus issues, great sound.
              An excellent effort on the part of Singer And Co.
              I was hoping he wouldn't screw it up, and he did alright IMO.
              Quite the hommage to the original too.
              Right from the Opening credits onwards.
              One of the things i was hoping for was that they used some of the original score, and it was defintely in there, spicing things up "Old-School" from time to time.
              Fits right into the superman legacy and i, for one, welcomed it with open arms.
              Picking it up on DVD when it hits.
              A- or B+ here.

regards,
              mikey

P.S. It's been bugging me that a lot of public reviewers (tv/radio) have been attributing a sensitive/wimpy (even homosexual at times) demeanor on Routh's superman. I say to you: get real. This was Supes and the guy did a great job considering what the new story line entailed.
              I don't know what movie they were watching but mine was just fine.

P.P.S I was robbed, June, no SM3 trailer for me
              "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
              -Dark Helmet

Comment

• Sithlord
                • Aug 2004

Hi guys saw this movie and I must say I'm a bit disappointed. I had high hopes for this one but I still feel that the original is still the best. I thought the run time of the movie was its weakest link 2hrs and 45min just seemed to drag after the great start. Routh was good but not great I thought his interpretation of Clark Kent was weak and just didn't have enough dialogue and not enough goofyness. As superman he was great but again something was missing. I dont think the story was very strong and Kevin Spacey just didn't do it for me as Lex Luther. There were a few times where the dialogue was similar to the original and felt forced. The effects as predicted were great but unfortunalty effects dont make a good movie. There was just not enough action too much touchy feely stuff. Perry white was also very tamed didn't come across as a newspaper Editor in Chief and the Daily Planets atmosphere was not animated enough no yelling to get page 1 on etc. The story had a few holes in it but I wont discuss these for those that haven't seen it yet. Overall I think it requires a 2nd viewing maybe I was expecting too much but after all the marketing and hype I thought it would deliver in spades but for me it fell very short. Here is a review by a guy who can better some it up better than me who I agree 98% of the time:

P.S Regarding the film quality it looked very soft/out of focus and the movie was jumping for about 2mins into it until it fixed itself. The sound was fine. I live in Australia (Melbourne Victoria) pity the 3D Imax version wont be coming here would go just for the plane scene.
                :3: out of :5:

Comment

• audiojunky
                  • Mar 2006

Sithlord - I completely agree with your review of superman - a movie well below par.

Comment

• RobP
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Nov 2004

I went to see this movie this week while on vacation, I really didnt go for the movie itself, but where it was going to be viewed. I was on vacation and took a tour of the Graumans Chinese Theatre in Hollywood CA, after going on the tour I knew I had to see a film there. I have to say that I really enjoyed the whole expirience, the movie was ok but viewing it in the Chinese theatre made it very enjoyable, this was the best presentation of a film that I have ever seen. The picture and sound were top notch, something I will never forget. :T
                    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• Ovation
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Brandon B
                      Haven't seen it yet. Curious if this review is on target, brings an interesting dynamic to the movie if so:

BB
                      A very interesting review. I would say both yes and no. Yes in that all the elements the reviewer mentions can be interpreted as he has. No in that the implied perfection of the film by the reviewer is, in my opinion, absent. It was very good, but not superb.

I think Routh has potential, but the screenplay does not give Clark Kent (the true test for any Superman actor) enough to do for it to shine. The pacing is off in some places (it could have been edited a bit more tightly). Spacey's Luthor is a worthy successor to Hackman's (one of my favourite actors) but is saddled with too much baggage from Hackman's portrayal. I appreciate that Singer wanted to maintain some sort of continuity with Supermans I and II but what worked for Luthor then doesn't cut it in the present. Not that he has to be portrayed as a psychopath, but rather, the Luthor of today's comics is much more sophisticated as a character than the Luthor of the 70s upon which Hackman based his efforts (not that he had a choice).

Overall, a worthy addition to the panoply of Superman stories, but one that has room for improvement. I think Singer would have been better off being a bit less reverential and referential to the previous films.

My local multiplex has pretty good seating, sight and sound--so no complaints there.

This article has given me food for thought, though, and I will have to rewatch it with these ideas fresh in mind. Perhaps my opinion of the film will differ upon a second viewing (I think there's an IMAX version in Montreal--not too far away).

Comment

• David Meek
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2000

It's finally made its way to our cozy little cinema. I'm off to see it tonight.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Boombox
                          • Oct 2005

Was I looking forward to Superman Returns.....man, oh man...I still have not seen it...but from the reviews I'm not particularly hasty to check it out.

James Bond movies are characterised by gadgets, cars, granade launchers, explosions and unbelievable stunts, Bond girls, etc.. That's a James Bond movie. The ultimate secret agent!!

Superman, is the ultimate hero. He lifts trains, freezes lakes and extiguishes fires with them....superhero stuff. With the emotional stuff, the superhero is unphased......superhero stuff. Clark Kent, yes! But that's another story. Superman should have been 70% Superman stuff (catching juwellery thieves in the act and returning grandma's handbag from thugs) and 30% "human" happenings.

I must say, I'm not looking forward to the movie.....
                          Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• David Meek
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Don't sell it short without seeing it. It's a different, less-cartoonish movie from the earlier ones with Christopher Reeve.

Comment

• Boombox
                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by David Meek
                              Don't sell it short without seeing it.
                              Saw SR last night on DVD......

I take back my comments....

Excellent movie.....
                              Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Its on DVD?
                                B&W

Comment

• David Meek
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

The Region I version doesn't come out until November 28th.

Comment

Working...
                                  😀
                                  😂
                                  🥰
                                  😘
                                  🤢
                                  😎
                                  😞
                                  😡
                                  👍
                                  👎
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"