X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Friends With Kids

Thought it was time to get back to watching the odd romantic comedy my wife and I enjoyed so much so I went with Friends With Kids. It's written, co-produced and directed by Jennifer Westfeldt. She , and her friend since college days ( Adam Scott ) decide to have a child, but without the romance thing. After the child is born, they go about their own lives. He hooks up with Megan Fox and she hooks up with Edward Burns. But you can see what's going to happen from a mile away.
    If the story had centered on their friends ( Kristen Wiig and Jon Hamm, and Maya Rudolph and Chris O'Dawd ) who already had kids and how it affected their relationships, I'm sure the story would have been much more interesting, and much funnier to boot.

Friends With Kids is not a terrible movie, just a bit too predictable. I also felt like the dialogue was like something out of a tv sit-com. And though it was billed as a romantic comedy, I didn't really find much to laugh about. One of the funniest female actors out there today, Kristen Wiig, had little to do or say in this one and that was a shame, because she was the main reason I rented this movie. I believe this is one my wife would have enjoyed much more than I. Still if you enjoy films in the Woody Allen vein, you may like Friends With Kids.
    My Homepage!
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Thanks, George. Always love to read your reviews and see you watching films and posting!
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville

Comment

• madmac
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2010

I do enjoy Woody's films, especially "Hannah and her sisters" (My favorite!!) but you have scared me from this movie with the 'sitcom' analogy. I just hate those things!.
      Dan Madden :T

Comment

• George Bellefontaine
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Jan 2001

Originally posted by madmac
        but you have scared me from this movie with the 'sitcom' analogy. I just hate those things!.
        I as referring more to the dialogue, Dan. It sounded trite and sort of ruined some of the scenes for me. Jennifer Westfeldt, who wrote and directed the film, is just not good at writing dialogue. She also centered her story around her and Adam Scott's characters and the other two couples, who were the friends with kids, were basically left in the outfield and had little to do or say. A shame because I felt their stories would have been much more interesting.

Although Friends With Kids had that Woody Allen feel to it, it paled in comparison to Woody's work.
        My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"