X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Danbry39
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Sep 2002

Three recent films that achievied 5 star status to this viewer

I know I have quirky tastes, but here are short reviews of three films, each of which I bought blind, that I absolutely love. All three are foreign films, so, if you're into that kind of thing, you might give them a try...at least if you can find them for rental. Really don't know if anyone else would even enjoy them, but, personally, I love them all.

Underground: First released in 1995, this Serbo-Croatian film. Winner of the Cannes Film Fesival Golden Palm award among others. This comedy traces the friendship of two lustful, alcohol loving friends from the approach of the Germans in WWII to modern day Yugoslavia. The plot involves one being hidden in an underground cellar, with a group of other resistors to the occupation, all the time believing that the war is still ongoing. To me, the best performance is by a totally uninhibited Mirjana Jokovic, the love interest of both men. Filled with surrealistic scenes and personal as well as political comedy, I absolutely loved the bizarre experience of watching it.

The Rules of the Game: Just released on Criterion, this film, upon its initial premiere in 1939, incited the audience to near riot, with one man lighting a newspaper to burn down the theater, several patrons tearing up their seats, and threats/insults directed toward film maker Jean Renoir. It is a very cutting and brutal look at the social games and interactions in pre-WWII France. Think Jane Austin on steroids as far as its biting satire. After the first showing, Renoir felt so badly that he cut it up and, only recently, has any semblence of the film in its entirely been available for viewing. In recent decades, the film has been lauded by many critics as being among the best movies ever made. Although the plot is definitely contrived, two of the scenes, one involving hunting and the other surrounding a performance put on for guests at a country estate, were, in my view, greatness in cinema.

The Decalogue: Many view this as Krzystof Kieslowski's crowning achievement over his three color trilogy. Originally made for Polish television, it has ten episodes, each loosely related to one of the 10 Commandments. Generally depressing, some, such as the "Honor Thy Father and Thy Mother" and "I Am The Lord Thy God. Thou Shalt Have No Other Gods Before Me" tore me up, especially coming from my perspective of being a parent, while others weren't as touching personally.

There you have it. Three films which most will never see (and probably many wouldn't like), but three special films to yours truly.

Keith
    Keith
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Well, Keith, my tastes are often quirky, too. The titles you mentioned are not known to me but I have to say, they all look interesting. My problem is that in this smallish community of mine there are very few foreign titles available to buy or rent. Our local Blockbuster, however, does have a section for small independent films and often a foreign title shows up there. I will keep an eye out for the ones you mentioned.

My Homepage!
    My Homepage!

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"