Heroes that die (warning, possible spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

Heroes that die (warning, possible spoilers)

I've got a small side project going and part of it involves finding heroes in movies that die, but then come back to life. I'd like to find any examples of movies where this happens as I'm cutting together the scenes to make a little video (the full reason will become clear once I'm done :B ).

Do not read this thread further if you're worried about plot spoilage!! I'll start discussing the movies I've got so far in the next post.
    -Chuck
  • impala454
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2007

They don't have to be fully dead, just mostly dead or perhaps even only thought to be dead, either to the audience or the rest of the cast.

So here's what I have so far:

1. Terminator (from T2), dies from T-1000 spear through the chest, then resurrects on backup power cell.

2. Optimus Prime (from Transformers 2), dies from Megatron's blow through his back, then resurrects when Sam shoves the thingy into him.

3. Thor (from Thor), dies from the Destroyer's blow to the face, then resurrects when the hammer comes back to him

4. Wolverine (from X-Men: Wolverine), dies from the process of injecting adamantium into him, then resurrects, because he's friggin wolverine

5. Captain America (from Captain America & Avengers), "dies" from plane crash at the end, "resurrected" 70 years later found frozen in the ice

6. Harry Potter (from last HP movie), dies from big boom from voldemort, resurrected because he was the master of death from the deathly hallows

7. Gandalf (from fellowship of the ring), "dies" from falling into the chasm fighting the balrog, "resurrected" after destroying the balrog and being sent back
    -Chuck

Comment

• impala454
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2007

I just need maybe 3 or 4 more good ones. I was thinking Iron Man at the end of Avengers might be a good one, he kind of appeared dead for a minute before Hulk roared at him. That would be a pretty funny one for the video.
      -Chuck

Comment

• bigburner
        Super Senior Member
        • May 2005

At the end of the 1984-85 season of the TV soap opera Dallas, the actor Patrick Duffy expressed his desire to leave the series. His character Bobby Ewing subsequently died when he was run over by a car. This left the show without one of its most popular characters so Larry Hagman, the star of the show who played the character J.R. Ewing, persuaded Duffy to return to the series the following season. The Dallas scriptwriters created a storyline which featured Bobby's wife Pamela waking up to find Bobby in the shower with the realization that the storylines of the preceding season, including the car accident, were nothing more than a lengthy dream sequence, thus invalidating the entire 1985-1986 season of the show.

Does that count?

Nigel.

Comment

• impala454
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2007

Lol that is pretty crazy, although I don't quite see him counting as a "hero" type
          -Chuck

Comment

• Ovation
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

Superman in Superman Returns might count. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details but I seem to recall he "died" and then came back.

Comment

• P-Dub
              Office Moderator
              • Aug 2000

Not exactly 'Hero's' but if you needed some comedic scenes.

Heaven Can Wait? Basically the whole premise of the movie. Squashed initially by the truck, then in Heaven and back again.

All of Me? "A dying millionnaire has her soul transferred into a younger, willing woman. But something goes wrong, and she finds herself in her lawyer's body - together with the lawyer." Lilly Tomlin, Steve Martin

Down to Earth, Chris Rock's take on Heaven Can Wait.

Well, let's not forget The Matrix! Neo does die near the end, and come back to life. Spoiler!
              Paul

There are three kinds of people in this world; those that can count, and those that can't.

Comment

• impala454
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2007

Don't believe I've seen Superman Returns, will have to check that one.

Oh yeah forgot about Matrix. And yeah I don't think the others count Paul lol
                -Chuck

Comment

• Chris D
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Dec 2000

Here's what comes to mind for me:

Neo in the Matrix (classic, archetypal death and revival, firmly rooted in Christianity's theme of resurrection)

Spock in ST: 2

Wesley in Princess Bride (especially when you mentioned "ALMOST dead")

Dark City (large influece on the Matrix)

Leeloo in Fifth Element

Tom Cruise in "Far and Away"

Now, are you looking for those that fully come back to natural life? Because there's certainly several movies out there where the hero comes back as a ghost of some sort. For example,

Always (FANTASTIC flying movie, if you haven't seen it)

Patrick Swayze in Ghost

Bruce Wayne in Sixth Sense

And would you count movies where the hero(es) die, and either heaven or Hell send them back?

Bill and Ted's sequel

Spawn

Robert Downey Jr. in "Chances Are"
                  CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                  - Pleasantville

Comment

• impala454
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2007

Oh yeah forgot about Spock. Though his resurrection wouldn't be all that grand. Mostly more of the "hero" types is what I'm looking for which have a pretty good "death" and interesting enough "resurrect". I finished a completely rough preliminary vid yesterday, will post it when I get a chance so you guys can get an idea of what I'm doing. (was thinking memorial day type stuff, showing the deaths & rezzes for the interesting factor and then showing how in the real world the heroes don't always rez. Too late for this year's memorial day but will play around with it enough to "officially" post it for next memorial day.

Was trying to decide which gandalf scenes to use... I already put in his "falling" scene, then the scene in the forest where aragorn, legolas, and gimli encounter him as the "rez" scene. But now thinking maybe showing him finish off the balrog on top of the mountain and then fall into the abyss or whatever might be cooler.

Also the harry potter death scene is awesome as it fades to white after he gets hit by voldemort's shot, but the rez scene is a bit sketchy for him too
                    -Chuck

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"