X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris D
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Dec 2000

Hell's Angels

This is the movie that Howard Hughes was making in the beginning of "The Aviator". Out of curiosity from the things that were shown in that film, I got "Hell's Angels" from Netflix.

As a war drama, it's okay. I found several comparisons with "All Quiet On the Western Front". But as a flying movie, it's SPECTACULAR. For being made in the late 1920's, and released in 1930, I was AMAZED at the flying cinematography. Wonderful! I can't believe Hughes attemped, much less accomplished, some of the shots in the film. This is something that every aviation enthusiast should see. :4: out of :5:
    CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
    - Pleasantville
  • George Bellefontaine
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

I can't recall when I saw this, all I know is it was a long time ago, but I do recall how well it handled all the aerial stuff. Can't recall the actors, but I believe Jean Harlow was in it. Must see if I can find it locally and watch it again.
    My Homepage!

Comment

• Ovation
      Super Senior Member
      • Sep 2004

I bought it a while ago on DVD (I didn't want to wait 10 years for a BD release) but I haven't sat down to watch it yet. Perhaps I should put it on my short list pile of things to watch. And Jean Harlow is in it. That much I can confirm.

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

I do recommend it. Yes, while I don't think Jean Harlow's performance was jaw-dropping, I did find it/her fairly profound. Matter of fact, there was quite a bit of subject matter and scenes that I was surprised to find in a movie of that era.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Ovation
          Super Senior Member
          • Sep 2004

Pre-code films were remarkably unfettered.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"